PDA

View Full Version : spray painting your rims

rampage
07-22-2008, 07:31 PM
What kind of spray paint do some of you use? A friend of mine wants to paint his stock 300zx rims but doesn't know how to start. I know we need clear coat, and whatever color we're going to paint them spray bottle. Any pointers anyone wants to post up to really make em look good?

tdurr
07-22-2008, 07:56 PM
spend a good 3 days stripping ALL traces of paint/stock primer off of the wheels. Cuz it shows up after you paint it... after that, u pretty much can use any paint u want, just make sure to let it dry completely before you clear coat it...(this is assuming u kno the basic steps of painting)
T-durr

yungdz
07-22-2008, 07:58 PM
go to Advance/Pep Boys/ Autozone. They have Automotive paint, many of which even have a picture of rims on the can.

SUBY_RUE
07-22-2008, 08:00 PM
this is what I used, you can pick it up at any auto part store.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

rampage
07-22-2008, 08:15 PM
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html)
Yea, we were most likely going to use that kind. Thanks for the link.

go to Advance/Pep Boys/ Autozone. They have Automotive paint, many of which even have a picture of rims on the can.
Thanks, but I kinda already knew that lol I was just curious to know what some of you guys have used. Thanks for the input though.

spend a good 3 days stripping ALL traces of paint/stock primer off of the wheels. Cuz it shows up after you paint it... after that, u pretty much can use any paint u want, just make sure to let it dry completely before you clear coat it...(this is assuming u kno the basic steps of painting)
T-durr
Clean them off, spray paint them... wait til it drys then clear coat it. Pretty simple, just asking because I didn't want to screw them up. We're both going to be doing it tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Thanks.
preciate it guys.

roche
07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
You need to sand the original paint with 600-800 grit if you want your paint to stick and you don't strip the original paint. I would also sand the paint once and then put one more medium wet coat before you clear. Then sand with 1500-2000 to remove orange peel. I just spent the last 3 days painting my rims.

rampage
07-22-2008, 08:54 PM
You need to sand the original paint with 600-800 grit if you want your paint to stick and you don't strip the original paint. I would also sand the paint once and then put one more medium wet coat before you clear. Then sand with 1500-2000 to remove orange peel. I just spent the last 3 days painting my rims.
Wasn't aware that painting your rims was a 3 day job. We'll be starting in the morning... I'm sure just sanding them down, cleaning them and then painting them will be sufficient. A spray can of clear coat, and three cans of paint should be enough. Correct?

RL...
07-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Wasn't aware that painting your rims was a 3 day job. We'll be starting in the morning... I'm sure just sanding them down, cleaning them and then painting them will be sufficient. A spray can of clear coat, and three cans of paint should be enough. Correct?

It is not a 3 day job, but it is definitely a one full day..maybe less depending on how much prep work you do. Sand them down starting with maybe 120, then 320, then 600(600 should be fine enough). Instead of primer I used adhesion promoter, I think it's better. Then a few layer of paint, and then clear if you want...and let the wheels sit and dry(preferably in the sun) for a few hours before you throw them back on the car. Personally, if you're trying to go for any kind of glossy finish...I would just get them powdercoated. It's only like 270 for 4 wheels. Because no matter what, spray painted rims look like spray painted rims....trust me I know, I spray painted my rims.

slostang
07-22-2008, 10:49 PM
use duplicolor. and if you do it properly (sand old paint, 2-3 coats of color, let each coat dry thoroughly (sp), 2-3 coats of clear, let them dry) it is a 3 day job minimum.

Kaiser
07-22-2008, 11:14 PM
use duplicolor. and if you do it properly (sand old paint, 2-3 coats of color, let each coat dry thoroughly (sp), 2-3 coats of clear, let them dry) it is a 3 day job minimum.

Especially with the humidity we've had lately: If you want a good tip on making sure your paint dries properly, get an oscillating fan and point it towards where the painted parts are at. It doesn't have to blow anything special, just keep the air moving over the paint and don't just let it stagnate. The humidity we have lately is killer, especially if you're painting inside a garage with no ventillation or something similar.

southside
07-22-2008, 11:21 PM
When does it take 2-3days to paint wheels somone let me know.I have painted numerous sets of wheels.I usually sand with 400 grit to make sure its scuffed up,then wipe wheel down with towel.Wash the wheels with water and hand dry ,then your ready to paint.When you paint do short burst left to right and right to left.When you just hold then you end up with paint running.I also let me wheels air dry usually in the sun just sit them out where nothing will fall on them.If you dont believe what im saying check out my threads.I've got a few wheels painted heres one
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb148/corey20072007/Picture038.jpg

slostang
07-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Especially with the humidity we've had lately: If you want a good tip on making sure your paint dries properly, get an oscillating fan and point it towards where the painted parts are at. It doesn't have to blow anything special, just keep the air moving over the paint and don't just let it stagnate. The humidity we have lately is killer, especially if you're painting inside a garage with no ventillation or something similar.

good tip.

Bud
07-22-2008, 11:26 PM
i have used motor paint. the high temp type.

Kaiser
07-22-2008, 11:36 PM
When does it take 2-3days to paint wheels somone let me know.I have painted numerous sets of wheels.I usually sand with 400 grit to make sure its scuffed up,then wipe wheel down with towel.Wash the wheels with water and hand dry ,then your ready to paint.When you paint do short burst left to right and right to left.When you just hold then you end up with paint running.I also let me wheels air dry usually in the sun just sit them out where nothing will fall on them.If you dont believe what im saying check out my threads.I've got a few wheels painted heres one

It takes typically between 2-3 days to do proper prep work and paint for any piece if you want it done right. Learned that the hard way. Yes you can just scrub and wash and paint over with a single coat, but I can't say I'd really recommend that to anyone because I don't know exactly how that's gonna turn out on some wheels. Gonna be painting the rims on the A4 soon, just haven't settled on a color scheme for the Celeb package rims, already know that painting those rims right is gonna be a 2-3 day process, and I'm gonna have to paint like 1 rim a week since I have to drive her every day. The reason why it'll take so long is because of the texture and consistency of the wheels and how they're made. Other factory rims or aftermakets might be the same way.

yungdz
07-22-2008, 11:46 PM
we did this in about 5 hrs with 3 people working on them.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg58/dpalmer_2008/goldwheel.jpg

aneel
07-22-2008, 11:53 PM

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

nice sig..

aneeL

roche
07-23-2008, 09:12 AM
It takes typically between 2-3 days to do proper prep work and paint for any piece if you want it done right. Learned that the hard way. Yes you can just scrub and wash and paint over with a single coat, but I can't say I'd really recommend that to anyone because I don't know exactly how that's gonna turn out on some wheels. Gonna be painting the rims on the A4 soon, just haven't settled on a color scheme for the Celeb package rims, already know that painting those rims right is gonna be a 2-3 day process, and I'm gonna have to paint like 1 rim a week since I have to drive her every day. The reason why it'll take so long is because of the texture and consistency of the wheels and how they're made. Other factory rims or aftermakets might be the same way.

qft. It took me a full day and a half just to strip the painted black and original silver paint off my rims. OP, I painted mine with 5 light coats of paint and then a medium wet coat. Once that dried I put on 3 medium wet coats of clear. If you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right. Spray paint isn't that expensive.

rampage
07-23-2008, 10:54 AM
preciate all the feedback guys...