PDA

View Full Version : 89-96 Maxima owner reviews

redciv1
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Ok so I am considering purchasing a 89-96 Maxima. Just wanted to here from present or pass owners as well as techs that may have worked on the cars. I am looking for a daily driver so other than stereo and wheels/tires the car will be stock. I know about transmission issues with the Automatic.

Andy_013
07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
89-94 is different from 95-99 maxima

I had a 94 se maxima, I loved the car. If your getting a 89-94 model, get a se, more power and a bose stereo also power everything and heated outside mirrors. The problems I had with mine was the cv axles was bad, the paint was gone and it only got 20-23 mpg in the city. I never had a problem with my automatic transmission other than it was an auto. Shifts were smooth and the ride was good.

redciv1
07-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the information.

mmontanez06
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
hey the GXE also has PW PL Bose but comes with a less powerful engine than the SE VG30E. I currently own one and the only issue is the Tranny its A/T and I dont have a fourth gear I roll on overdrive on all the time. Watch out for that but other than that no problems what so ever. Get an SE better.

Sinfix_15
02-21-2009, 03:37 PM
my friends Maxima was nothing but constant trouble. Replaced trans x3, multi coil pack problems, sunroof going out, started knocking... i've never really heard anything good from a long term Maxima owner.

DarwinsA32
02-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I had a 96 GLE for 5 years, Best car on this planet as far as reliability is concerned. I gave it up with 166k on it and it was still running strong. Only mechanical problem I ever ran into was the starter going out after a few years.

DarwinsA32
02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
my friends Maxima was nothing but constant trouble. Replaced trans x3, multi coil pack problems, sunroof going out, started knocking... i've never really heard anything good from a long term Maxima owner.

Thats the biggest crock of horseshit i've ever fucking heard.

Myself, my buddies Nick, Drew, and Arian all have the same car 95-99 and all of us have had nothing but good things to say. Maybe if your friends were capable of maintaining a car properly there would be no problems.

RL...
02-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Thats the biggest crock of horseshit i've ever fucking heard.

Myself, my buddies Nick, Drew, and Arian all have the same car 95-99 and all of us have had nothing but good things to say. Maybe if your friends were capable of maintaining a car properly there would be no problems.

x2

I've known someone who had a 96 with 450k miles on stock motor and tranny and it was fine. He had to replace a couple things here and there like an o2 sensor and a new cat but other than that it was perfect.

ionblu_max96
05-22-2009, 05:40 AM
I had a 96 and put about 300k on it and now have a 00 and wouldn't drive anything else, look at the body styles and see if you want the 3rd or 4th gen first

mmontanez06
06-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I bought my GXE a few years ago with only 3 gears but this car was solid! i drove it all around GA and I even took it to Cape Coral, FL with no problems. I always wanted to swap the auto tranny but never had the funds for it but this Maxima can take punishment. I got rid of it after 300k miles i got it with 190k.
I mounted the sidewalk while driving 50 mph - no damage to camber, alignment, nothing.
I even went off roading with no problem either.
Whichever trim you get it is going to be reliable.