PDA

View Full Version : Quick release hubs...

Revmaynard
07-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Ok, in light of all the stolen cars lately I really want to do some anti-theft protection to my car. I have been thinking of getting a quick release hub and such. This never really crossed my mind until now to get one. I'll get an alarm in a few weeks if possible, just won't have the extra money for an install right now. So, any information on quick releases, pros, cons, whatever, is greatly appreciated. Does generic compare to an authentic brand like NRG? Is it all the same or constructed differently? This will be for the EF chassis.:cheers:

seanrg1116
07-21-2008, 02:07 PM
best security is to wire in a kill switch for the fuel pump and hide it in the car.

matthewAPM
07-21-2008, 02:14 PM
quick release FTW

jball
07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
only con is if you have a newer car you lose the airbag in the steering wheel

Revmaynard
07-21-2008, 02:46 PM
My car is an '88....bump for some answers?

I will do an alarm and killswitch later, I just can't afford an install right now.

suprapower
07-21-2008, 03:12 PM
killswitch is your best bet man

sr98219
07-21-2008, 06:43 PM
I've got a NRG quick release in my car and I like it. I havent had any problems w/ it. I like to see peoples reactions when they walk up and like Damn, where's the steering wheel. lol

Mr. Clean
07-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I have an NRG, and i love it. the only problem in my eyes is that allllll NRG quick release systems are universal so someone can bring their wheel with the other side of the quick release and drive right off. they sell a hub lock that covers the hub when you take the wheel and has an official lock and everything which will be my next investment. right now i just cut my wheels all the way to the left and lock the column and then take the wheel, put it in gear and hit the alarm button. it's about as safe as i can get. next step is that hub lock and boot and a big steel cage around my car haha.

a problem with a discount quick release is remember that your messing with your STEERING. if you get a cheap hub and that ***** gets loose and has some play in it or if it just comes undone your fucccckkkked.

BUT! i like my hub and it's an easy install and if you have and want to keep your horn and cruise control it is still possible with some quick and easy rigging. plus you look like a G carrying around a shiny ass wheel haha.

Scotsman
07-21-2008, 07:49 PM
def go with QR , i love the sh!t out of mine , a theif can get in my car and can only go forward(into my garage) or bass acwards (into my neighbors yard) , either way my car should be there in the mornin , lol , most theives wont fuk with a car without a steerin wheel

bRiAnMcIvIcS
07-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Im seriously thinking about either personal or nardi wheel with a quick release hub also. I think i need to get a kill switch too.

Revmaynard
07-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys. :goodjob:

TreyMan
07-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Save for at least the NRG...I have always heard the ebay brands have a nice wobble after a few releases.

Decide how short or long you want the hub + quick release. A few different lengths can be had from choosing different combos.

Adjust hub + QR length depending if you want a standard or "deep corn" wheel.

Too short of a hub/QR, you will hit the turn signal stalk with your knuckles
Too long, and you might have to take a hand off the wheel to hit the turn signal stalk

Pick your wheel, then pick your hub/QR, and make sure you buy something decent.

Mr. Clean
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Save for at least the NRG...I have always heard the ebay brands have a nice wobble after a few releases.

Decide how short or long you want the hub + quick release. A few different lengths can be had from choosing different combos.

Adjust hub + QR length depending if you want a standard or "deep corn" wheel.

Too short of a hub/QR, you will hit the turn signal stalk with your knuckles
Too long, and you might have to take a hand off the wheel to hit the turn signal stalk

Pick your wheel, then pick your hub/QR, and make sure you buy something decent.

very good points. you'll def want to get a short hub though, almost no matter what.