PDA

View Full Version : General Chat S2000 Owners/Opinions?

Blitanicle99
07-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Ive been looking into getting another vehicle for the weekends and just something else to drive WITHOUT company logos...

So at first I was only willing to spend like 4-5 grand on an E30 and swap the M50. Then my buddy was willing to help me with payments on his E36 M3, so now that I thinking I am more willing to spend a more to have a better/newer car I was looking into my options.

I happen to run into one of the guys from Forged that had a S2000, after we all saw the Dark Knight, we all were bsing and talking and happened to talk about his S2000 for awhile.

I sat in it, I actually fit for being 6'3'' with the top up too.

Ive never had a convertable, nor a honda. I just thought if I stayed out of the throttle I could get good gas mileage? And cheap insurance apparently.

So those of you who own/have owned one or just opinion in general...

Speak up..

Ive heard they handle pretty sick too.

b.a.d. s2000
07-21-2008, 02:36 PM
i've owned mine for 4 years, love it. I get average 21 mpg right now that's only b/c i live 2 miles from work. 24mpg when i worked in alpharetta. over all, not bad for a DD.

Blitanicle99
07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Sweet...

AV8ter
07-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Very nice too. Summer time is complete balls in the car though. I hate using A/C because it is like driving with a 150lb. flywheel........... I love driving topdown and it sucks in the summer during the daytime, nights are ok.

Car is amazing stock. AP2s have a annoying as fawk cdv, but it can be taken out easily.

Great car!

Blitanicle99
07-22-2008, 11:52 AM
I dunno Im going to put up a poll of some of my options. Its just a car I was interested in owning and I believe its the only car right now that was originally made to be a convertible.

OneSlow5pt0
07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I dunno Im going to put up a poll of some of my options. Its just a car I was interested in owning and I believe its the only car right now that was originally made to be a convertible.

miata?
Z4?
SLK?

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 12:59 PM
well i've had mine since feb 08 and i love it! definately gets tons of looks (i bought mine as a DD too) love it, the 10 gallon tank is kind of a b!tch but other than that it gets great gas mileage. if you can manage to stay out of vtec then you'll get honda civic gas mileage man, i got 300 to my last tank (shifting @ 3,000) and no vtec all week i'm pretty proud of myself on that one (with the AC on)

Performance: Great handling car, now that i finally have halfway decent tires, no problems with it, there is "some" body roll but a decent set of coilovers and you'll never have them problem (i'm just a fan of COMPLETELY flat cornering)

issues: if you get the chance to get a warranty with it PLEASE DO IT! you won't regret it, i paid an extra 300 bucks for mine, had all the seals on my top go out (1100 bucks with labor and suck i didn't have to pay), side marker issue (150), slave cylinder (450), and just a few other things here and there. the only other thing i could complain about would be heat soaking, which there isn't a BIG problem but heat seems to affect this car harder than ANY other car i've owned (nissans mostly but my civic never had a problem) and the AC does drain a good amount of power.

only thing i DON"T like about this car is the payments :p lol but its a perfect drivers car through and through, quick handling, pretty good power, VTAK!, and topless fun! love it!

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
i love my car... no if ands no buts about. clutch delay valve on the ap2s is annoying but an easy fix. go to s2katlanta.com. Huge group of awesome people there. I has been the best investment i have ever made. plus rear wheel action ftw. Its the funnest car out there for the money.

jb55
07-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Very nice too. Summer time is complete balls in the car though. I hate using A/C because it is like driving with a 150lb. flywheel........... I love driving topdown and it sucks in the summer during the daytime, nights are ok.

Car is amazing stock. AP2s have a annoying as fawk cdv, but it can be taken out easily.

Great car!

i agree completely thats kinda the reason i got rid of mine! but fun factor is 10/10!

jb55
07-22-2008, 01:18 PM
o and buy a used one! its not worth the extra thousands for the new ones theres minimal changes from 04 to now...but read up just in case

MeFryRice
07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I originally bought one in '06 and didn't really enjoy it. At the time, i didn't like having to rev the hell out of it just to get the car to go some place.

Last year, i bought a second one due to the fact that I got a good deal on it. Do I enjoy the car? Yes, oddly, I like the '04 (my current one) more then then '06. Probably cause the payments aren't out the roof!

What do you plan on doing with the car?

Would I buy another? Yes, definitely! :D

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 01:31 PM
See with me i love how high they rev, and after i get my emanage installed and tuned i will love it even more! :D

Blitanicle99
07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
If I did go for an S2k, I would def go for an AP1. I am shooting for a used one with under 100k on it. I am looking in the 12k range.

The price may seem crazy but apparently its possible. I do plan on throwing suspension and Ive heard Toda (spelling?) makes an individual throttle body kit for it that I was very intersted in. Thats one of the reasons I am interested in the car. The highest output for a 4cylinder w/ individual throttle bodies, with a few extra things makes a very fun car. Not the fastest thing on the streets but in the mountains it would definately be a blast.

Again its only in the looking stage. I am open to alot of cars right now. S4s WRXs 350zs... the list goes on.

Ive just never had a convertable or a honda... or a six speed nor has really anyone I know so I figured it might be nice to have something absolutely different in pretty much every way but still go play in the mountains, get good mileage and pick up "Them Hoes" lol

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
That price isnt crazy, there are tons out there on forums especially s2ki.com for 12-16,000 with 40,000 miles or more... If you wanna meet up and take a closer look at mine pm me... Also ITB's I heard arent good unless you are racing on a flat level area. I heard quick altitude changes ****s with it. I dont really know.

Truegiant
07-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I dont see how you fit in it. I test drove one back when I was only 6'3" and it was way to small. Now I am 6'5" and I dont even want to think about how long it would take me to get out after squeezing in! haha.. for the 12-14k price you can pick up a low mileage 6 speed 350z as well. Alot more torque and its easier to stay out of vtec with the extra grunt down low. S2k's are nice cars I just dont fit! anywho..

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 02:57 PM
im 6'5" and i fit real snuggly. of course im buying a new seat and steering wheel to give me lots of room :D

Truegiant
07-22-2008, 04:00 PM
what do you weigh? like 140lbs? Jeez.. i just cannot imagine it.. anywho. dont want to thread jack - back on topic

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
no... 195 :D lol its a tight fit but i dont care.

b.a.d. s2000
07-22-2008, 04:04 PM
ITB is nice and very expensive, but tuning is a pain. you'll have to get it tuned constantly due to temp change or humidity. If it's ur DD, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!. or just do an emanage tune on it. Most guys have luck with that mod, everything else is pretty much useless.

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:15 PM
emanage tune plus giles tuning it FTW!

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 04:16 PM
ITB is nice and very expensive, but tuning is a pain. you'll have to get it tuned constantly due to temp change or humidity. If it's ur DD, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!. or just do an emanage tune on it. Most guys have luck with that mod, everything else is pretty much useless.

^ true that ^

my S2k is stock (minus a K&N filter, and only b/c i needed to change mine anyways and it was 20 bucks new lol) b/c it responses to the tune and exhaust... and then BOOST... nothing short of Boost is worth the money on it sadly...

I/H/E?emanage/tune = $3000 for the good chit and you'll gain maybe 25 hp..

sigh

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:20 PM
^ true that ^

my S2k is stock (minus a K&N filter, and only b/c i needed to change mine anyways and it was 20 bucks new lol) b/c it responses to the tune and exhaust... and then BOOST... nothing short of Boost is worth the money on it sadly...

I/H/E?emanage/tune = $3000 for the good chit and you'll gain maybe 25 hp..

sigh

i dont know what ur talking about emanage tune is the best bang for the buck. if got my emanage and harness for 450... my intake for 75. and exhaust for 300. You sir need to become a whore on s2ki.com to find the right price on things ;D

Also its more like an extra 40 horspower from the emanage on the ap2's :D
But true. If you want a lot of power. or ever an extra 60-70. boost is the only way to go for s2k's they are so finely tuned nothing you add to it bolt on wise does anything really.

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 04:23 PM
what?! lol OK i was saying things NEW! lol

intake: $250 (k&N) up to $1100 (j's racing)

exhaust: $550 (hks) to $2300 (amuse Ti)

Emanage w/ support tool ($350-$500)

tuning time: ($75-$200)

the emanage IS the best bang for the buck i agree :D

b.a.d. s2000
07-22-2008, 04:27 PM
naw... NOS is best bang for the buck :D

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 04:27 PM
lol cough cheater cough lol lol

b.a.d. s2000
07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
it's not cheating... it's a power ADDER!!!! wish i could afford a turbo on my car

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 04:30 PM
lol yeah boosting a S2k ain't cheap lol and its cheating to me if its not constant when i press the gas and my turbo never has to be refilled lol lol :ninja:

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:31 PM
i dont buy new things unless its something for my exterior.

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 04:32 PM
its all good. i'm just picky lol besides... :ninja: i have a fetish with that new parts smell :ninja:

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
me too... its all depends, i guess anything suspension wise i would be new too...

b.a.d. s2000
07-22-2008, 04:37 PM
there was a guy selling his KW V3 coilovers for 1200 bucks i think? only 3000 miles on it

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 04:39 PM
thats a pretty good deal...

i've never driven any S with any "name" coilovers...

i drove my buddies with a set of Megans and even though i am NOT a fan of anything megan i'll admit it handled pretty smooth and cornered really well :goodjob:

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
im buying koni yellows and replacing my eibachs for tein s techs....

b.a.d. s2000
07-22-2008, 04:45 PM
friend of mine has greddy turbo and KW V3 coilovers, it rides very nice. handles very well. that's how i want my car to be. i'd be happy even just with the wheels and coilovers

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:46 PM
lol yea me too. but its never enough

b.a.d. s2000
07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
actually i can honest say, that'd be enough.... if i want something fast, i'll just get a motorcycle

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I probably wont be doing coil overs just shocks and springs...

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 04:50 PM
agreed... i want a Set of Ap2 wheels (bronze to go against my SUZUKA) or Work Emotion CR Kai ~bronze~ lowered with a Fujitsubo/T1R exhaust... done for me :D

~pop the top and the panties drop~ living @ the beach S2k all day :D

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:52 PM
do works son they are sick

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
yeah for real... but i'm saving for my 2 trips to japan this year so money is basically spent on maint and thats about it lol so the S2k is STOCK lol (remove the top of the airbox if i feel the need bwhahaha)

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 04:55 PM
that actually hurts your horsepower...

Terror
07-22-2008, 04:57 PM
i love my AP1.. ive had a bunch of cars too but ive always wanted an s2000 and i dont regret it at all

mocha latte cupcake
07-22-2008, 04:57 PM
i'm well aware... but if i'm bored and feel like taking my backroads to my house (2 traffic circles and a road with about 20 twists and turns on it) it makes me feel faster lol even if i'm not.... rice i know... call it boredom

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 05:05 PM
hahaha yea and when i owned my civic this was my dream car. and still is, i love this damn thing, handles like a beast! take it to the track and find out!

admedlin
07-22-2008, 05:34 PM
I love mine! I picked it up in September last year with 150 miles on it. That will NEVER happen again! Brand new is cool, yes, but I definitely should have gotten it slightly used.

Its a little bit rougher ride than some of the more luxurious cars, but for a "sports car" its really not bad. A good, cost-effective upgrade for the suspension is Koni yellow struts and Tein springs, but it is great out of the factory.

To the OP, the engine in the car is awesome. I should have bought an AP1 with the higher redline, but both are fun, spirited cars. I had a Honda Prelude a few years ago, so I was already used to Honda engines and vtec. If you are an aggressive driver, you'll probably get 15-20 mpg. If you do a lot of city driving and stay out of vtec, probably 19-22 mpg. Hwy I've gotten up to 29 mpg.

The summer is pretty rough down here though. When its 100 degrees outside, even going 70mph on the highway doesn't cool you off. I try not to use the AC too much for the same reason as everyone else, but sometimes you just have to put the top up and cool off! I drove with my top down most of the winter, but my cutoff was about 45 degrees during the day with the sun out. Of course I had a thick wool coat on, but there is nothing like the expression on peoples' faces when they see you drive by!

Definitely look into the s2000 though, its a great car. I'm 6'2, 210 and I fit just fine. I got married last month and drove to Miami to catch a cruise for the honeymoon. In Miami, I saw more Aston Martins and Rolls Royces than S2000s! Get one, have fun, enjoy it!

admedlin
07-22-2008, 05:37 PM
yeah i remove the top of the airbox too sometimes. Its especially fun when you drive under a bridge and hit vtec :)

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 05:42 PM
yeah i remove the top of the airbox too sometimes. Its especially fun when you drive under a bridge and hit vtec :)

Wait till you here an invidia exhaust at WOT under a bridge or tunnel. Also are you on s2katlanta.com?

b.a.d. s2000
07-22-2008, 05:49 PM
i am gonna sell my aem v1 cold air intake soon if u want it. HKS FTW :D

admedlin
07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
nah I'm only on here

does the cold air intake really do anything? I know the stock airbox is designed very well and I've heard that it won't really help anything. How much do you want for it btw?

I had the Berk's test pipe on the car for a few days, but the AP2 has a more sensitive O2 sensor and I didn't want to mess with it. I bought it on here and then sold it back to someone on ebay in Australia for more :)

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
u should check out s2katlanta.com. more knowledge on there than anyone needs. lol its an awesome place

Zeeb
07-23-2008, 01:26 AM
http://www.s2katlanta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16855

Check that out. 33000 miles in white with black/red interior. AP1 with factory hard top for 19000 with hard top obo. talk to him man, thats a clean ass car.

MeFryRice
07-23-2008, 08:57 AM
does the cold air intake really do anything? I know the stock airbox is designed very well and I've heard that it won't really help anything. How much do you want for it btw?

I wouldn't waste money on an intake unless it was Gruppe M, J's or Mugen. Otherwise, everything else is for more of a "grunt" sound.

I had the Berk's test pipe on the car for a few days, but the AP2 has a more sensitive O2 sensor and I didn't want to mess with it. I bought it on here and then sold it back to someone on ebay in Australia for more :)

I'm running the Berk's TP on my AP2 with no issues. I like the sound of the TP with the OEM exhaust, not too loud yet you can still hear something. Has a nice mellow tone to it.

Blitanicle99
07-23-2008, 09:26 AM
So I went and test drove an AP1 (2002) S2k yesterday. It was silver.

I wasnt exactly impressed with the power band. For 12 thousand dollars I expected to atleast have some grunt to it. It did have a V2 intake and Neospeed (Spelling?) exhaust on it. The top was ripped up pretty good too. They were asking like 12.8k for it.

Its still an option but I just am not currently impressed on the performance of the car. It did have a nice sturdy gear box to it. That part I did like. I did like the dash, I was comfy in the seats. The handling I didn't really get to play however.

Im sort of disappointed this is supposed to be the most powerful 4cylinder out there... :no:

mocha latte cupcake
07-23-2008, 09:31 AM
the S2k is not a fast car in terms of the below vtec... in fact i'd say its about as fast as a 00 si (00 si in vtec mind you) below the actual 6k rpm zone. but thats a honda for ya..now it DOES make some quick movement after that... but if you were expecting to have BLINDing speed from a NA 4 cylinder below its "cam change" it wasn't going to happen sadly. as a daily driver and something fun to drive always the S2k won't disappoint but if your looking for stock OMGZORS thats crazy performance it won't be the S2k...

S2k is like a knife man... smooth precise sleek and sharp

not a sword which is heavy and strong...

smrlsvtec
07-23-2008, 09:44 AM
S2k's are played out!! If your intersted in an 05' with some Mugen goodies LMK. Im trying to get in to an NSX :goodjob:

-jay

imbosile
07-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Alot more torque and its easier to stay out of vtec with the extra grunt down low. S2k's are nice cars I just dont fit! anywho..

Last I checked 350z's do not have vtec. :goodjob:

mocha latte cupcake
07-23-2008, 09:55 AM
lol it was a toss up between a 350z and a s2k... but topless and light weight won me over... the 350z has more mod potential and what not, but it was just too heavy for my liking,

Zeeb
07-23-2008, 10:41 AM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/766447078.html

Heres another clean one for you.

MeFryRice
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
lol it was a toss up between a 350z and a s2k... but topless and light weight won me over... the 350z has more mod potential and what not, but it was just too heavy for my liking,

I had a 350Z as a rental when I was in California this past June. I will admit, it has more low end tq but the fun factor of the actual drive wasn't there like the S2K.

The S2k is meant for the twisties and track, not a straight line like the majority of the people on this board are into. If you want straight line, look someplace else.

Blitanicle99
07-23-2008, 12:50 PM

Heres another clean one for you.

Unfortunely Im financing it. I need to build my credit anyway so its fine. I am aware of the extra money involved.

But again, I don't want to spend more than 12-13 grand at most. If I could find something cheaper, I would be much more apt to it.

But I will admit, just for fun factor it was a just like a go-kart lol

Zeeb
07-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Well if you can find a bank to finance you then your good to go. Thats what I did. I had my bank finance me.

mocha latte cupcake
07-23-2008, 12:57 PM
bank of america worked mine out, but then i went to honda and turns out that they used bank of america anwyays...so win win for me :D

Zeeb
07-23-2008, 12:59 PM
bank of america worked mine out, but then i went to honda and turns out that they used bank of america anwyays...so win win for me :D
Yea but car dealerships have a list of HUNDREDS of banks that offer loans and they can find a loan for anyone no matter what. Theres always something out there.

Blitanicle99
07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Yea but car dealerships have a list of HUNDREDS of banks that offer loans and they can find a loan for anyone no matter what. Theres always something out there.

However its much fun for me, I am an independent contractor and I do my own taxes.... so its really really not fun.

Zeeb
07-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Yea... Well. Hope we have helped. lol Good luck on your search. If you get one come over to s2katlanta.com and hang out!

Blitanicle99
07-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Yay I drove one that wasnt screwed up tonight! Talking with an S2k guru its very common to put SAFC on it and then yank it off and it makes it run like dog crap. Well thats apparently what happened.

After driving an AP1 that was running right, I was impressed. We were bumper to bumper with my buddies E36 M3 (OBD 2) with an intake. The driver has a intake and mufflers, otherwise stock. The M3 got a little jump and pulled slightly but again the M3 got a little bit of a jump. Again I was impressed.

So my search goes on. Its going to come down to pricing now honestly. Im going to bring a nice down payment to a dealership and see how much I can steal an S2k for. I have been on the lookout for another one in my area that isnt somewhat of a project.

Zeeb
07-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it :goodjob:

lxpaulxl
07-24-2008, 12:41 AM
My roommate has a boosted S2000 and I have driven it plenty of times all motor and boosted. Its a great all around car, power is enough for all motor and handling is amazing. Top down in the blazing heat can be harsh sometimes. Gas mileage is great on freeway. I drove his car in a long distance drive and was able to pull out 31 MPG boosted.

As for all motor. If you get the Greddy e-manage ultimate, there is a tuner name Giles who comes down about twice a year to tune S2000's specifically. You'll be able to pull out about 10WHP but a lot of torque with just a stock motor.

Zeeb
07-24-2008, 01:00 AM
He's getting an extra like 30-40 whp i thought for most ap2's...

Brett
07-24-2008, 06:19 AM
I have a '05 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THE CAR!! Did I mention I love it? lol. The S2000 to me is a great car, Handles awesome in the mountains, Not to slow, Rear Wheel Drive, DEAD SEXY and.... I love it.

Blitanicle99
07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
I have a '05 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THE CAR!! Did I mention I love it? lol. The S2000 to me is a great car, Handles awesome in the mountains, Not to slow, Rear Wheel Drive, DEAD SEXY and.... I love it.

Where you at Taco Mac off Chastain last night? I saw a red lowered S2k there last night and thought it might have been you...?

Homer Simpson
07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
i love mine! Getting it dropped next week with espiler springs!

Its sexy, not slow but not a speed demon, super freakin quiet and handles awesome!

Top down during the day, ftl. Doesn't matter if you're on the highway, you're still gonna bake in the sun. Top down in the evening/night ftw.

Zeeb
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
i love mine! Getting it dropped next week with espiler springs!

Its sexy, not slow but not a speed demon, super freakin quiet and handles awesome!

Top down during the day, ftl. Doesn't matter if you're on the highway, you're still gonna bake in the sun. Top down in the evening/night ftw.

yea but in the spring and fall top down is way better cause you get a cool breeze!

Homer Simpson
07-24-2008, 02:11 PM
yea but in the spring and fall top down is way better cause you get a cool breeze!

i know it! Plus, its less humid :yes:

Zeeb
07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
oh yea!

lxpaulxl
07-25-2008, 06:07 AM
He's getting an extra like 30-40 whp i thought for most ap2's...

He dynoed on a dynopak with a testpipe and exhaust. I'm pretty sure that the 06+ AP2's make a bit more power than the 04-05 AP2's.

Blitanicle99
07-25-2008, 10:01 AM
All I gotta do now is find one worth making a lowball offer on.

IndianStig
07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
there are a few nice ones on this site forsale

MeFryRice
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Unfortunely Im financing it. I need to build my credit anyway so its fine. I am aware of the extra money involved.

If you can, try and get the financing done through a credit union. You'll have a lot better interest rate and it's easier to get a loan as well. :goodjob:

Blitanicle99
07-25-2008, 05:24 PM
True that. Im gonna try that. I was gonna use the dealerships so I can haggle the price a lot.

S II K
07-27-2008, 05:56 AM
dude go for the s2000. i love mine its an awesome car all around especially as a DD.

i saw you where also considering s4's and such...whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM THE AUDI'S especially the b5 body style wether its a s4 or a4 please do yourself a favor and dont waste your money...up to this day im still working on my audi and its not a very reliable car plus maintnence is crazy on em. they have electrical problems out the ying yang.

sooooo go for the s2k :goodjob:

OTG Signs
07-27-2008, 07:10 AM
True that. Im gonna try that. I was gonna use the dealerships so I can haggle the price a lot.

That's a horrible idea. Go get the loan from a credit union (I use Georgia's Own) and then buy it from a private owner.

HeLLo iM iZzY
07-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Heres another clean one for you.http://www.s2katlanta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16855

You posted that link aswell. Is that the same dude selling it?

Anyways, I think the s2k might be my next car after I'm done with some cars in a couple of months.

Good luck with your search :goodjob:

Zeeb
07-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I didnt post that. Lol His name is zaiku. I'm Zeeb here, on there and everyother forum I'm on...