PDA

View Full Version : Misc speeding ticket help

masonhenson
07-20-2008, 07:55 AM
heres the story.i got a speeding ticket in december of 07 for 23 mph over.dumb. then last week i got a ticket for turning right at a red light without stopping.which i was actually unaware at the time that it was illegal. then last night i spent the night at a lakehouse on lake hartwell near lavonia. this morning i woke up. had to jump my car off cuz i left my lights on.then drive all the way to snellville by 9 for work. on the way franklin county got me for 24mph over on 85 south. what do i do? my speedo is broken and i was the only car on the road and had no way of gauging my speed. im under 21.im 19. and im a full time student and work fulltime.i cant afford to lose my license..any help? other than slow down?
i am quite terrified because without a license ill lose my job and have n ride to school.

fininfarina
07-20-2008, 09:52 AM
sorry to hear that man. I got a speeding ticket last month because I was driving 50mph in 35 mph zone...wtf

stillaneon
07-20-2008, 09:53 AM
You could reduce the size of your sig....?

Gutling
07-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Dude if your speedo was off you def dont speed. 24over is not barely over, it should be pretty noticeable to you. Be lucky he did not give you a ticket for your speedo not working, i dont think you can legally drive with it broke. go to court, see if they will lessen it or let you take driving course

X-Runner
07-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Dude if your speedo was off you def dont speed. 24over is not barely over, it should be pretty noticeable to you. Be lucky he did not give you a ticket for your speedo not working, i dont think you can legally drive with it broke. go to court, see if they will lessen it or let you take driving course

Not that it really matters but a speedometer is not required in the state oGeorgia. :screwy:

quickdodgeŽ
07-20-2008, 10:24 AM
any help? other than slow down?

Is this a serious post? hard to have any sympathy for someone making the same stupid mistakes over and over and not blaming himself. No sense in telling the Judge that your speedo is broke. He'll laugh at you. Don't drive until you fix your car if you can't judge your speed. Later, QD.

Gutling
07-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Ah i did not know that, I thought it might be under malfunctioning equipment or something.

BlkCD5
07-20-2008, 10:37 AM
You're pretty much ****ed. I know someone who had a similar situation. Turns out his speedometer was reading 10mph slower. He took it to have it calibrated, pleaded his case to the judge and still ended up paying.

Motivation
07-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Not that it really matters but a speedometer isnt not required in the state of Georgia. :screwy:

Which technically you are saying it IS illegal. :tongue1: lol

Advice, fix the speedometer;if you do lose your license, ask the judge for a permit to at least be able to go to school and work. Sometimes they grant that cause they don't want you to lose your job or interfer with your education. But don't go into the court blaming everything else or anyone else. If you do that the judge will see you are not responsible to take the blame and responsibility of your own actions...

X-Runner
07-20-2008, 11:01 AM

Advice, fix the speedometer;if you do lose your license, ask the judge for a permit to at least be able to go to school and work. Sometimes they grant that cause they don't want you to lose your job or interfer with your education. But don't go into the court blaming everything else or anyone else. If you do that the judge will see you are not responsible to take the blame and responsibility of your own actions...

I just woke up, leave me alone :taun:

yungdz
07-20-2008, 11:02 AM

A few counties don't offer that permit to offenders under 21. OP, go take a defensive driving course.

BITCHING
07-20-2008, 11:23 AM
your f ed just go to count if your that aford get a lawer

Roadster
07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
heres the story.i got a speeding ticket in december of 07 for 23 mph over.dumb. then last week i got a ticket for turning right at a red light without stopping.which i was actually unaware at the time that it was illegal. then last night i spent the night at a lakehouse on lake hartwell near lavonia. this morning i woke up. had to jump my car off cuz i left my lights on.then drive all the way to snellville by 9 for work. on the way franklin county got me for 24mph over on 85 south. what do i do? my speedo is broken and i was the only car on the road and had no way of gauging my speed. im under 21.im 19. and im a full time student and work fulltime.i cant afford to lose my license..any help? other than slow down?
i am quite terrified because without a license ill lose my job and have n ride to school.

Take a defensive driving course BEFORE your court date. I got a 29 over in DeKalb county (merging onto 285...does anybody go 55 on 285?), and taking a defensive driving course got me off with zero points on license and a $230 fine. You've got more prior tickets than I did, but I think that'd be your best bet. It'll very nearly always save your license if that's the biggest thing you're worried about.

But then again, it's also county dependant. DeKalb just wants to get your money and then put you back out on the roads so they can stop you again (which is fine, really). But I don't know how stringent Franklin county is.

Good luck mate.

Motivation
07-20-2008, 02:01 PM
your f ed just go to count if your that aford get a lawer

umm... :thinking: what?

BLK JDM
07-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Take a defensive driving course BEFORE your court date. I got a 29 over in DeKalb county (merging onto 285...does anybody go 55 on 285?), and taking a defensive driving course got me off with zero points on license and a $230 fine. You've got more prior tickets than I did, but I think that'd be your best bet. It'll very nearly always save your license if that's the biggest thing you're worried about.

But then again, it's also county dependant. DeKalb just wants to get your money and then put you back out on the roads so they can stop you again (which is fine, really). But I don't know how stringent Franklin county is.

Good luck mate.

When you went to court did you plead guilty or not guilty?

masonhenson
07-22-2008, 11:59 AM
wow i need some help.. im thinkin about getting a reciept showing the speedo was fixed and showing my school papers and work pay stub and plead that it would pretty much ruin my chances at ever having a college education

GIXXERDK
07-22-2008, 12:18 PM
When you went to court did you plead guilty or not guilty?

He did pay so he pleaded guilty

Jason..
07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Dang donnie give him a break he is 19!!!And had to jump his car off.

You could reduce the size of your sig....?

BLK JDM
07-22-2008, 02:20 PM
He did pay so he pleaded guilty

He could have plead not guilty, talked to the solicitor, then they worked out him paying but not getting any points on his license. Or he could have plead not guilty but been found guilty and still had to pay!! DUH

toxxxic
07-22-2008, 02:38 PM
you're not going to lose your license ............. that 20 over rule is just before you're 18... (well, let me rephrase that - until you get your class C license... if you still have a D class license, you're ****ed)

I'm 20. I didnt get my license til i was 17... I have 5 speeding tickets. All over 15 over.

My insurance went up, but not too bad. I pay 100 a month for liability for a civic dx.

My advice: there's not really much you can do since you have the driving record of a ****ing idiot. they're going to look at it & say SLOW THE **** DOWN or get off the road & give you a fine. they usually only lower it to 14 over if its your FIRST speeding ticket. but sorry, you have like 4000.... so start saving your monies.

GIXXERDK
07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
He could have plead not guilty, talked to the solicitor, then they worked out him paying but not getting any points on his license. Or he could have plead not guilty but been found guilty and still had to pay!! DUH

You work something out with the DA because you plead guilty.

Zeeb
07-22-2008, 02:43 PM
um... yea slow down.... and good luck :D

BLK JDM
07-22-2008, 02:46 PM
You work something out with the DA because you plead guilty.

So you plead guilty then they still try to help you out on points?? That doesn't sound right b/c if you're saying you're guilty that means you're upholding that you were in the wrong so why no punish you w/ the fine and the points?

Roadster
07-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I did plead guilty, but it's DeKalb and it's ****ed up. Not guilty and I would have had to come back for another court date. Guilty means they get their money and I get off without points or an insurance hike.

Jason..
07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks BRO

you're not going to lose your license ............. that 20 over rule is just before you're 18... (well, let me rephrase that - until you get your class C license... if you still have a D class license, you're ****ed)

I'm 20. I didnt get my license til i was 17... I have 5 speeding tickets. All over 15 over.

My insurance went up, but not too bad. I pay 100 a month for liability for a civic dx.

My advice: there's not really much you can do since you have the driving record of a ****ing idiot. they're going to look at it & say SLOW THE **** DOWN or get off the road & give you a fine. they usually only lower it to 14 over if its your FIRST speeding ticket. but sorry, you have like 4000.... so start saving your monies.

Truegiant
07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Wow.. just dont go to the judge with excuses. Be honest! You know you ****ed up. More than once. He is either going to take your liscense or not. No need to sweat balls over it. You ****ed up, Your gunna pay the price. When the judge takes your liscence make sure you put your car up for sale on here so you can repay the fines your gonna owe!

masonhenson
07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
****tt.. i need some way to get to school and work though...