PDA

View Full Version : Misc going to basic training air force

MikeyB
07-20-2008, 12:33 AM
leaving for basic training tuesday. at lackland afb got 6 weeks of hell to go through yall pray for me lol

stillaneon
07-20-2008, 09:54 AM
leaving for basic training tuesday. at lackland afb got 6 weeks of hell to go through yall pray for me lol

From what I understand, AF basic training is like the coke zero of basic training.

Youll be fine

MikeyB
07-20-2008, 01:09 PM
yea thats wut i been hearin but still nervous tho

ash7
07-20-2008, 02:15 PM
been there - got the t-shirt (324th flt 608)

I went to basic straight out of soccer camp bro, i left basic in worse physical condition than i came in. They'll have you do a two mile run and a few other physical exercises that don't do anything except give the TIs an excuse to yell at you. Make sure you keep your form with all the other guys and don't stand out.

The entire first week is called "hell week" during which you'll spend the entire time in-processing (without even realizing it because you're so nervous about doing something wrong and getting yelled at). Don't volunteer for anything - it won't get you anywhere except into a position to get yelled at.

AF basic is more of a mental game than a physical one man. You'll see some losers who are so uncoordinated they can't even march right. I found myself having fun marching after a while, it's fun being part of a team.

Get ready to write a lot - most of the 3rd and 4th weeks you will spend in a classroom learning about how the military works and practicing marching a LOT. They will have you so "into" the military that you'll believe just about anything the TI tells you, for instance:

I think it was during the 4th week when out TI woke us up at 1 in the morning yelling about how there was an "emergency meeting" and we had two minutes to report. During the meeting in the "flight room" he told us the events that had transpired with North Korea over the course of the previous four weeks (you are cut off from everything "real world"), and how they had just launched a nuclear missle at Japan." He told us that we were considered "trained enough" and that we were going to "Advanced Emergency Training" for our designated specialties because we were at "WAR". (this was months before 9/11) - he said we had three minutes to pack up and line up to report downstairs to where buses were waiting. we all bought every word of it and busted our butts to get things packed up.

turns out, he just wanted everyone to change bays/beds and after we were all lined at the door ready to go, he started calling out bunk assignments - he tricked us

5th week is the FTX - where the airforce tries to play "army" but sucks horribly at it.
6th week is more marching, graduation, and then outprocessing while marching around laughing at the "newbies" with thier "civilian haircuts" looking scared to death.

:) you'll be proud of yourself bro - i wouldn't change a minute of my airforce experience for anything. :goodjob:

-jonathan

tron
07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
to OP
good luck man I'll be in the same position in about a year cause im still in high school

and much respect to all in the military or who has been in the military.

MikeyB
07-20-2008, 03:34 PM
thanx guys see u in september