PDA

View Full Version : 02 WRX Tranny PROBLEM

Got Milk?
07-19-2008, 10:41 PM
When i first bought the car, when i try to go from 3rd to 4th the 3rd gear would be stuck, and i would have to pull it out hard to 4th. This only happened time to time. So tonight im entering 85N, i go from 2nd to 3rd, and all i hear is CRRRSSSSHHHHH CRSHHHHH, i instanly go ohhh **** there goes the tranny. And yes, i lost 3rd gear.

Now im looking into rebuilding the tranny, or buying another tranny. So if any of you on here that work in a shop, or own a shop, hit me up with a PM on your prices in labor oon rebuilding it, or if i buy a tranny how much would u charge for a labor.

Yea i only had this car for about 2 weeks, no wonder why the guy sold it to me in such a hurry.:(

ANOTHER QUESTION.

Is it safe to drive this car after not having 3rd gear. I mean even when im in N i hear nockings in my tranny. So im guessing bad idea?

AnthonyF
07-20-2008, 11:49 AM
B/c beginner drivers with WRX's usually fuk the syncro's up pretty badly. You bought this car used, correct? Just needs a trany build. You can skip third if your car has enough torque. If it doesnt, just rev 2nd out a little longer than put it in 4th. I skip gears in my truck and i skip gears in the viper. Nothing wrong with it, if you have the tq to do it.

-Ant.

yungdz
07-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I warned you about the tranny...

You need to drain the tranny and use a magnet to clean out the broken teeth so they don't get lodged in any other gears before you try and skip third.

HalfBaked
07-20-2008, 12:02 PM
WRXs have the ****tiest trannys ever.

92spoolin
07-20-2008, 12:19 PM
I think who ever decided to include glass in the transmission making processes on the 02-03 should be shot. My cousins has an 02 with moderate mods and he's been through 2 already and the previous owner had to get it rebuilt. I would say don't chance it because if you lost 3rd 4th isn't to far away from going either. On a side note though at least yours was the transmission. My girlfriends brother bought a 05 wrx and had it for about a week and started to knock its self to death.

yungdz
07-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I think who ever decided to include glass in the transmission making processes on the 02-03 should be shot. My cousins has an 02 with moderate mods and he's been through 2 already and the previous owner had to get it rebuilt. I would say don't chance it because if you lost 3rd 4th isn't to far away from going either. On a side note though at least yours was the transmission. My girlfriends brother bought a 05 wrx and had it for about a week and started to knock its self to death.

transmission issues are fault of the driver. I have an 03 and over 300 hp and tq with no problems. *knock on wood.* You just have to be easy on your shifts. As far as knock goes, that sucks. That's the problem with buying a used Subaru. If I had known of all of these problems I wouldn't have gotten mine used but a year later I haven't had any issues. *Knock on wood again.*

EDIT: the USDM wrx tranny is a POS, its the same out of a NA 2.5rs, and if you aren't careful very fragile with power.

AnthonyF
07-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Got Milk-call NAD Auto On jimmy Carter. Very good guys, all JDM stuff.

-Ant.

Truegiant
07-20-2008, 02:00 PM
get on NASIOC.com there are several 5 and 6 speed trannys for sale on there. Hope it works out for you!

Z0_o6
07-20-2008, 07:10 PM
go ahead and man up for the STi trans. much MUCH stronger.

Got Milk?
07-20-2008, 08:23 PM
^^

yeah i know but it costs way more.

Got Milk?
07-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I got a good deal on WRXatlanta.

1k+my tranny for a WRX tranny that has under 5k miles on. And the guy will do all the work, alot of people vouched for him to.

Jecht
07-20-2008, 08:32 PM
You don't see this happen to people that treat their cars nicely. :goodjob:

Got Milk?
07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Car came with a ****ed up tranny.I understand if i was pushing the car and slaming from gear to gear. But i was entering 85N, i was shifting at 4k rpm with other cars in front of me, and as soon as i had the **** in 3rd gear, the **** just gave away. As stated above, when i first bought the car, time to time 3rd gear would get jammed, and i would have to pull it hard to get it out. The tranny had 116 miles on it, cant wait to get the new tranny.

UpSideDownDesi
07-20-2008, 09:03 PM
if you plan on keeping the car lightly modded and not beat on it then another 5spd will do u good. If plan on tracking it, hwy runs, street run then you are wasting money on another 5spd. What year is the 5spd, the new one? Same happened in my care and i went for the 6spd....sure was good bit of money, but damn it feels good going through gears without hearing CRRRRRRRRRRR

Footefan52
07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Are you getting LiquidForce (Mike) to do the work? If so then good call. The good news is that the tranny is pretty easy to drop out of the car so it won't be down too long. Oh and don't try to drive it until it is fixed. You asking for trouble if you do.

UpSideDownDesi
07-20-2008, 09:36 PM
yea if mikes doing the work then you are in good hands.

Got Milk?
07-20-2008, 10:00 PM
yea mike is doing the work, seems like a cool guy.

And no, im not planning on beating up on the car at all. And as far as i had the car, i havent really launched or redlined it. My plan was to go 18g, but after this im not sure if i still want to do that.

Got Milk?
07-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Are you getting LiquidForce (Mike) to do the work? If so then good call. The good news is that the tranny is pretty easy to drop out of the car so it won't be down too long. Oh and don't try to drive it until it is fixed. You asking for trouble if you do.

Car is sitting in the parking lot since, and im towing the car to his place, not taking any chances.:boobies:

eYezs1ck
07-21-2008, 01:19 AM
Car came with a ****ed up tranny.I understand if i was pushing the car and slaming from gear to gear. But i was entering 85N, i was shifting at 4k rpm with other cars in front of me, and as soon as i had the **** in 3rd gear, the **** just gave away. As stated above, when i first bought the car, time to time 3rd gear would get jammed, and i would have to pull it hard to get it out. The tranny had 116 miles on it, cant wait to get the new tranny.

when i had the car, tranny was fine. you were just driving it too agrressively. dont blame that shiet on me

Timinater
07-21-2008, 01:21 AM
When i first bought the car, when i try to go from 3rd to 4th the 3rd gear would be stuck, and i would have to pull it out hard to 4th. This only happened time to time. So tonight im entering 85N, i go from 2nd to 3rd, and all i hear is CRRRSSSSHHHHH CRSHHHHH, i instanly go ohhh **** there goes the tranny. And yes, i lost 3rd gear.

Yea i only had this car for about 2 weeks, no wonder why the guy sold it to me in such a hurry.:(

wow thats funny, you bought this car from a good friend of mine who i see almost everyday. i have driven this car plenty of times and rode in it plenty of times, enough to know it NEVER had any tranny problems, nor did it do what you are describing. also him being in a rush to sell the car?? NO, he could care less whether or not he sold the car, you kept bugging him about getting it. im sorry you messed up the syncros but dont try to blame that on someone who's fault it is not. goodluck with your problem

Got Milk?
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
I was just saying what problems i had when i frist bought the car. And there were people in the car when the 3rd gear would get stuck, and we were all like WTF. But its all good no hard feelings towards anyone, a new tranny is coming.

AnthonyF
07-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I am not saying either of you did anything wrong, but I tell people this all the time:

"Just b/c you can drive a stick, doesnt mean your doing it properly"

My ****ty mustang had 100k miles, 100 drag passes, 18psi, twice the power, removed MANY times, and it never slipped on me ever. Just depends on how you baby everything.

-Ant.

eYezs1ck
07-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I am not saying either of you did anything wrong, but I tell people this all the time:

"Just b/c you can drive a stick, doesnt mean your doing it properly"

My ****ty mustang had 100k miles, 100 drag passes, 18psi, twice the power, removed MANY times, and it never slipped on me ever. Just depends on how you baby everything.

-Ant.

thanks ant, i drove it just fine and my tranny never grinded or anything. aggreed on your quote

AnthonyF
07-21-2008, 05:39 PM
thanks ant, i drove it just fine and my tranny never grinded or anything. aggreed on your quote

You're not agreeing with me b/c you have feelings for me? :( No1 wuvs me.

-Ant.

eYezs1ck
07-21-2008, 05:41 PM
You're not agreeing with me b/c you have feelings for me? :( No1 wuvs me.

-Ant.

no hom0. + green bars 4 u

Got Milk?
07-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Well eyez maybe it didnt do it to you, cus you babied the car alot(and from my knowledge you didnt drive this car daily), at least from what u said. I did spool up the turbo time to time from 2nd and 3rd gear, but never launched the car from a dig or drove the car as hard. Just maybe the it was time for the tranny to give up, who knows. Anyways, car still runs good, just cant wait to get the new tranny in. ;) Again no hard feelings eyez the car looks and runs great, bad things happen and we just gota deal with them.

And ant, i agree on what you said. When i get the new tranny in, i will baby the car and take care of it way more than i did in past 2-3 weeks.

AirMax95
07-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Good to hear you are getting it fixed. I have 103k on my motor and tranny.......that biatch better not break, lol.