PDA

View Full Version : GPS tracking question

X-Runner
07-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Im wondering if you can track a car with a GPS nav unit thats in the car. Anyone know if that can be done? I know there is GPS tracking unit you can install but Im wondering about just a regular GPS nav unit being used for that.

DirtyMechanic
07-19-2008, 01:59 PM
you can have it drop "bread crums" every so often and you can see where it has gone. i dont know about tracking.

redrumracer
07-19-2008, 02:15 PM
well seeing as how it is linked up to the gps satellite system i dont see how it would be that hard for someone to just look and see where it is at and track it. so id say yes it fully possible.

X-Runner
07-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I figured you could, if the unit were unplugged would it still be trackable? It does not have a battery power either.

redrumracer
07-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I figured you could, if the unit were unplugged would it still be trackable? It does not have a battery power either.
well how is it going to "talk" to the satellites if there is no power.

DirtyMechanic
07-19-2008, 03:18 PM
well seeing as how it is linked up to the gps satellite system i dont see how it would be that hard for someone to just look and see where it is at and track it. so id say yes it fully possible.they dont link to the satellite they just get a signal from them.. the gps unit dont transmit anything.

X-Runner
07-19-2008, 03:45 PM
they dont link to the satellite they just get a signal from them.. the gps unit dont transmit anything.

So then you cant track it or see where its been then?

redrumracer
07-19-2008, 04:48 PM
they dont link to the satellite they just get a signal from them.. the gps unit dont transmit anything.
the unit has to communicate with the satellite so it can triangulate is position. well actually pentagate(not even a real word but gps uses 5 satellites to tell your location) there position. but still you could be tracked by it.

DirtyMechanic
07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
the unit has to communicate with the satellite so it can triangulate is position. well actually pentagate(not even a real word but gps uses 5 satellites to tell your location) there position. but still you could be tracked by it.but the gps doesnt transmit anything. So how can you track something that doesnt transmit anything? it just gets the 5 signal and calculate where it is from where the satellites are in the sky...

X-Runner
07-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Alright, I was just wondering if they could track my company truck through the Nav unit in it.

redrumracer
07-19-2008, 05:46 PM
but the gps doesnt transmit anything. So how can you track something that doesnt transmit anything? it just gets the 5 signal and calculate where it is from where the satellites are in the sky...
and how do you think it gets those 5 signals? it has to interact with the satellites.

redrumracer
07-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Alright, I was just wondering if they could track my company truck through the Nav unit in it.
and i highly doubt your company would track your truck.

X-Runner
07-19-2008, 05:54 PM
and i highly doubt your company would track your truck.

Why? It is a company truck...

98strat
07-19-2008, 07:34 PM
You have to have something to communicate back with inorder for them to track you. Most aftermarket headunits with navigation or a stand alone like a Tomtom just use the signals they receive to calculate the position internally. They transmit nothing. As long as the truck does not have a hidden gps tracking system and just one only used for navigation for the driver it is highly unlikely that they are tracking you.

X-Runner
07-19-2008, 07:37 PM
You have to have something to communicate back with inorder for them to track you. Most aftermarket headunits with navigation or a stand alone like a Tomtom just use the signals they receive to calculate the position internally. They transmit nothing. As long as the truck does not have a hidden gps tracking system and just one only used for navigation for the driver it is highly unlikely that they are tracking you.

There is no hidden unit on it, I know what those are as Ive installed some before.

Infinite
07-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Someone must be doing bad things with company property LOL

X-Runner
07-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Not really, I was just wondering.

Tech5
07-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes it can !