PDA

View Full Version : CAI on 5th gen lude.....safe or no?

IMPORTchic
07-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Okay so here is the deal....

I bought a Fujita CAI for my lude a few months back and I have this crazy fear of hydrolocking up my engine from hitting some water!

I get mixed response on the street when I ask people what the risk is.

Reason I am worried again is the other night on my way home it was POURING down rain and roads were like flooded lookin although they werent. Well my car started running weird. I was like ohhhhh sh**! So I stopped driving until the rain cleared just in case, but later brilliantly realized that any moister/water that was in the filter/piping was still in there more than likely. So I drove on home and the next day when I cranked up it kinda....like hesitated....lol Of course I was still flipping out. It didnt act up after that though. So I guess I am in the clear!

The question is for future knowledge....am I just being paranoid or does it run a good risk of hydrolocking.....like whats the chance? and how much does it take, becaue I know on a normal day a small amount of moisture has to get in there!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated to ease my mind! ;)

Sammich
07-18-2008, 11:09 AM
get a bypass valve...or do the icebox mod to your setup

Sammich
07-18-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=15&TopicID=187672&SearchPagePosition=1&search=%22icebox%22&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

IMPORTchic
07-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeahh.....umm about that...I dont have a box and all that anymore. Trashed all that b/c we ripped it out! hah Not smart I know. Just have the fujita piping and the big ass filter 2 inches off the ground! And I searched and searched for a bypass for the fujita but couldnt find anything worth shiat!

Sammich
07-18-2008, 11:17 AM
ebay should have universal bypass valves..but imo...find somebody on the prelude website thats selling their oem air intake for cheap, get it and mod it...

i had it on my gsr (almost fully complete) and it was great.

i'm about to figure out how to do the same thing on my maxima

IMPORTchic
07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
So your saying get rid of the $200 intake I just bought? lol

Sammich
07-18-2008, 11:32 AM
...lol kinda..i mean i wouldnt have bought it in the first place..but just say find a bypass valve for the diameter of piping your CAI is and go w/ that

DaMaGe ZWK
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I have a cai also... you can do like me and just not drive it in the rain ;)

IMPORTchic
07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Haha right! You forget she is my daily driver!

Sibious
07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
i didnt have a lude, but i had a CAI on my 200sx ser that went right below the front bumper and i never had an issue. I also had it on when i use to live in Washington state. Just dont hit any huge puddles.

99hatch
07-22-2008, 03:26 PM
I hydrolocked my civic back in the day with a AEM CAI. I will tell you, that you have to run through a serious puddle for it to happy, just a little rain being kicked up on the filter will not do it. When i locked up my engine i got ran off the road in a serious storm and hit this 6-8 inch deep puddle on the side of the road. It locked up on me and would not start i waited about 20 min and kept trying, finally it started up but only ran for about 2 weeks more than that. Just know if you do hydrolock it, that its not just gonna act a little funny, it will shut off.

IMPORTchic
07-23-2008, 03:24 AM
I hydrolocked my civic back in the day with a AEM CAI. I will tell you, that you have to run through a serious puddle for it to happy, just a little rain being kicked up on the filter will not do it. When i locked up my engine i got ran off the road in a serious storm and hit this 6-8 inch deep puddle on the side of the road. It locked up on me and would not start i waited about 20 min and kept trying, finally it started up but only ran for about 2 weeks more than that. Just know if you do hydrolock it, that its not just gonna act a little funny, it will shut off.

Man that sucks to hear that. But thats what I am talking about. WHat I am scared of though is in town when your slammed in traffic and there is a ton of water on the side of the road and you cant swerve. lol THEN what do you do?! I know its doubtful. So it acted funny again today though when i went to crank it. It died on me. Then I had to crank it back up and it sounded a lil weird to being with, then was fine the rest of the night! =) WEIRD! My car does mysterious things!

FasTech
07-23-2008, 05:06 AM
A buddy of mine ran one on his CRX for a like 2yrs and never had any problems! Just don't hit any serious water puddles... If its raining just be careful.

sonic30101
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM
it usually doesnt rain bad enough in atl but when it does and you dont have a bypass valve it could be bad news. i myself hydrolocked a motor right fater i bought my lude and it came with a cai and it sucked hardcore. then i airsawed the intake the next day

turbob20
08-21-2008, 01:25 AM
TRY TO GET A 2 WAY INLET FILTER WITH THE DIAMETER OF YOUR PIPE AND CUT YOURS AND PUT IT UP IN THE DRY ENGINEBAY SO THEN IF YOU GET IN WATER IT WILL SUCK FROM THE UPPER FILTER.THEN WHEN UNDER EXELERATION IT WILL PULL MOSTLY FROM THE LOWER WHERE THE AIR IS COOLEST.JUST A QUICK FIX MAYBE SO YOU CAN KEEP YOUR INTAKE.LOL.

BB1_Luda
08-21-2008, 01:57 AM
buy a AEM V2.

best SRI you can get to gain the most out of the power of the H22.

IDK if you read through blakes intake testing with dyno graphs

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271711

xbn83
08-21-2008, 07:49 AM
AEM CAI, drive it everyday for the past 5 years. No problem at all! Just be smart!

The_ CaneCorso
09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I had 4 intakes on my motorcycle, one for each carb and I was driving thru the raina dn I was worried bout that. Turns out only hing that happened was me almost hydro plannin

lude66
07-22-2009, 08:37 PM
AEM CAI, drive it everyday for the past 5 years. No problem at all! Just be smart!

x2
ive had my cai on my 4th gen for a year now with no bypass
an its done fine

81911SC
07-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Just go back stock, you're not making a worth a damn difference anyway.