PDA

View Full Version : No more rebodied Opel DTM cars, the "true" IS-F speed world challange car revealed.

EJ25RUN
07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/07/is350wcgt.jpg

Autoblog

There hasn't been any news on an IS F racecar since we heard rumors that the sedan, unveiled at the Tokyo Auto Salon, was really a reskinned 2004 Opel Vectra DTM. While Lexus might not be supporting a factory-backed motorsports program for the IS-F, that doesn't mean that privateer teams can't develop a car on their own. DRC Motorsports has done just that and has built two IS-F racecars that will compete in the GT class of the SPEED World Challenge. Dubbed the IS GTF, it will be sporting a 4.7-liter V8 putting out 510 horsepower and attached to six-speed sequential transmission. The first car will make its debut this weekend at Mid Ohio with Jeff Altenburg, last year's SWC Touring Car champion, behind the wheel, and the second car, driven by Robb Holland, is scheduled to make its maiden run the following race at Road America. Both cars are scheduled to run the remainder of the race season. If you want to watch the new IS GTF in action, SPEED will be airing the race on Thursday, July 24 at 1:00pm (EDT) following the Touring Car race.

Mike Lowrey
07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Hell Yeah!

....reps if I can....

Boosted FC
07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Now that is badass.

dazn
07-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I saw that car at Mid-Ohio last weekend. From what I hear it was built by the same guys who ran the IS300s in Grand Am and some drifting events. They were planning on ALMS I believe but it fell through. So this team bought the car and have converted it to run World Challenge. The car doesnt look bad, the rear wheel wells have been heavily extended giving it a funny look. But good power and a nice gearbox. I hope it at least if reliable and then they develop the car and hopefully Lexus might give them some support here and there.
I didnt get to watch the race since it was at 4pm and mine was at 9am. So by 4 I was already at the airport on the way home.
But Altenburg apparently finished 24th and a lap down. But at least they finished. best lap of 1:34:5. Race winner's fast time of 1:28:1.
The other car that Holland was supposed to drive wasnt ready yet.

On the other hand
the Aston Martin that Rahal Letterman ran got 4th in its first race also with the fastest race lap.

josh green
07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
For some reason I get an old school can-am fender vibe......... :)