PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Skunk 2 Cams

SoLJames95
07-17-2008, 09:10 PM
EVeryone says they use the pro1s on a turbo setup. I was wondering has anyone had any expierence with the Skunk2 Turbo Cams or know anyone that has ran the? Please let me know if you have info on this. Thankx in advance.

SPOOLIN
07-18-2008, 05:09 PM
i just bought a set for my blue car james. They are really good for a lot of power on a turbo minimum 61mm.

CB7tuner
07-18-2008, 08:08 PM
i was wondering the same thing, ive heard of people doing it but i dont know if its safe or realiable????? I already have the skunk 2 Pro 1's in my H22 and im planning on boosting it as well :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

whatever210
07-18-2008, 10:50 PM
The skunk2 pro 1 cams are great (thats why i got them). They need to be degreed in to idle/work properly. (which i didnt do and now i regret it.) These cams usually pick up a little more midrange than the tuner series cams in boost (i.e make the turbo spool a little sooner). The idle/drivabilty is a bit harsher than stock, but once degreed and tuned its not that bad. Valvetrain wear is not bad with them either. The pro 1s seem to work well in gt35r + sized turbos

SPOOLIN
07-19-2008, 08:44 AM
The skunk2 pro 1 cams are great (thats why i got them). They need to be degreed in to idle/work properly. (which i didnt do and now i regret it.) These cams usually pick up a little more midrange than the tuner series cams in boost (i.e make the turbo spool a little sooner). The idle/drivabilty is a bit harsher than stock, but once degreed and tuned its not that bad. Valvetrain wear is not bad with them either. The pro 1s seem to work well in gt35r + sized turbos

nice quote from another forum.

I'm not driving mine on the street so they can do whatever they want. You gotta make sure your valve springs support the lift.

whatever210
07-19-2008, 04:46 PM
^ oooohhh so you feel better now that you got to call me out. so whats your point. at least i helped him out somewhat right. isnt that all that matters. he posted it for help. all info if copied from some where in time used over and over again. and i use to have skunk2 pro 1 camshafts so i have all these threads i put in my favorites when i was doing some research a while back. i didnt feel like typing it at the time and had a link so i copied and paste, so sue me. and his head is all skunk 2 pro series everything. (well cb7tuner does).

SPOOLIN
07-19-2008, 07:18 PM
you are blowing things way out of proportion and creating your own tense situations saying something like that. I was just stating fact, my bad.

whatever210
07-19-2008, 07:54 PM
^ nah im just sayin. but your right i did blow it out of proportion. my bad as well. :D

SoLJames95
07-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Well im going to be running a super 60, stock head and internals would it be a waste to get these or shoud I just stick with pro 1s? And spoolin did you get a good deal on yours?

Vteckidd
07-19-2008, 11:19 PM
I wouldnt personally think that a SUper 60 is big enough to see a real gain.

If you plan on doinga built motor and a bigger turbo later, id get them.

If you plan on staying around 300whp, then id stick with Skunk2 Stage1s.

IIRC the SKunk2 TURBO Cams were never made, and they never existed. THey usually say the STAGE1s are their "turbo cams"

josh green
07-20-2008, 10:24 AM
There is no need for Pro1's in a turbo car unless you are planning on making 700+. Hell even then you dont NEED them it just makes it a little easier.

CB7tuner
07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
i was just wondering if it was safe because i have the Pro1's with full valve train in my H22 in my car now and i plan on turboing it but i would prefer not to have to rebuild my head. I dont want to make crazy power, just a decent daily driver.

josh green
07-20-2008, 10:35 PM
i was just wondering if it was safe because i have the Pro1's with full valve train in my H22 in my car now and i plan on turboing it but i would prefer not to have to rebuild my head. I dont want to make crazy power, just a decent daily driver.
Why wouldnt it be safe?

CB7tuner
07-20-2008, 10:40 PM
well "safe" isnt the word I should have used but i only asked because up untill recently ive only heard of the pro1's being used in a N/A setup like mine currently.

josh green
07-21-2008, 07:26 AM
well "safe" isnt the word I should have used but i only asked because up untill recently ive only heard of the pro1's being used in a N/A setup like mine currently.
I understand, but turbocharging a car doesnt change anything inside the engine. The only difference is going to be acceleration of the engine, so make sure you have a good timing belt.

B18c1Turboed
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
I ran the skunk2 pro1s earlier this year. Compared to my type r cams i picked up about 50Hp..
Also made my car sound like an all motor car with turbo.. it was mean!!!
The memories!!!

B18c1Turboed
07-22-2008, 06:48 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2315276

Vteckidd
07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
yeah but he doesnt have a big turbo.

PRO1s are not good for stock motors.

The regular Tuner series stage 1s are what you want

Black R
07-22-2008, 07:29 PM
hmm..... well i need to buy *some* cams soon for a jrsc build and was leaning towards skunk - now pro1's or tuner1's? ;)

josh green
07-23-2008, 07:35 AM
hmm..... well i need to buy *some* cams soon for a jrsc build and was leaning towards skunk - now pro1's or tuner1's? ;)
Tuner1's are the same as typeR's it seems. Remember Ken, anytime you free up a restriction boost pressure goes down. Best HP gain for a Jackson is an intercooler.

SPOOLIN
07-23-2008, 07:42 AM
which ain't gonna happen sensibly.

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 09:13 AM
anytime you free up a restriction boost pressure goes down. Best HP gain for a Jackson is an intercooler.

Could you elaborate on this, looking to get into a constructive debate on this.

I have an opinion but i want to see where you go with this Mr. Green

SPOOLIN
07-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Could you elaborate on this, looking to get into a constructive debate on this.

I have an opinion but i want to see where you go with this Mr. Green

josh might elaborate more but i have seen results of that on turbo AND supercharger setups. the larger cam changes the pre-valve pressure because it lets more in and out at one time.

So when i put these in, my boost could drop to like 32 pounds or so rather than 35 or so, so ill just turn it up more to make up for the changes.

josh green
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
In FI applications, when a larger cam is put in place it will lower boost pressure. Matt is going see 30-50whp gain @ 1-1.5psi less boost. Kens applications probably wont be near as drastic. People are seeing boost pressure drops running just the DP's instead of the whole exhausts, even drops from DP's exiting upwards (through hood) instead of down. We put a blower on a CTS-V, cam, valvespring, 8psi pulley, exhaust, meth injection on it. and made 480whp with a boost gauge hookup up it made right at 8psi. Well several months went by and the owner decided he wanted headers and cutouts to play around with. The car made 500whp with the header swap/cutouts and was only making 5psi with the same setup, the stock ls6 headers were pretty restrictive. Anytime you can move more air out the pressure is going to go down. In his case, the car was removing exhaust more efficiently so there was less back pressure through the system. A lot of the same principal goes into matching compressor/turbine housings.

Just remember, these turbo 4cylinders are like putting 5lbs of sh1t in a 2lbs bag.

SoLJames95
07-23-2008, 06:47 PM
So Cams Are overrated Im guessing in my particular setup? LOL

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 06:51 PM
no they arent, but PRO1s are too big.

SoLJames95
07-23-2008, 07:47 PM
So your saying ITR Cams be my best bet?

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
ITR cams would be best, or SKUNK2 stage 1s

SPOOLIN
07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
the ctr intake cam makes more power on a turbo setup USUALLY then the ITR cam. good luck finding one though. Stick with ITR and you will be good.

Black R
07-23-2008, 09:57 PM
the ctr intake cam makes more power on a turbo setup USUALLY then the ITR cam. good luck finding one though. Stick with ITR and you will be good.

the ctr intake cam is the same as the '00-'01 itr intake cam. the 96 spec itr intake cam is a little smaller but not by much - definitely not enough of a difference to even be worth replacing.

the motor i need to buy cams for doesn't have any - so i'm open to pro1's or tuner1's or tuner 2's or even itr cams, whichever is cheapest! :)

actually what josh posted makes sense though - i remember wondering why that vortech blower made less boost than claimed - even with a higher psi pulley on amy's itr; as it turns out we *did* have charles convert the kamikaze header to 3" outlet along with 3" mandrel bent exhaust... so less restriction = less boost but power was still very nice. :)

Black R
07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Tuner1's are the same as typeR's it seems. Remember Ken, anytime you free up a restriction boost pressure goes down. Best HP gain for a Jackson is an intercooler.

i'll have to look up the spec's on the tuner1's.

and of course i'll go with the lht air to water cooled jrsc setup. :D

josh green
07-24-2008, 07:34 AM
i'll have to look up the spec's on the tuner1's.

and of course i'll go with the lht air to water cooled jrsc setup. :D
I think with the intercooler the JRCS starts making turbo #'s per psi of boost, or damn close to it. You arent putting that setup into the hatch are you? ATS gear set, 4.9 FD and the blower, you could blow the tires off starting in 3rd!