PDA

View Full Version : BMW just slapped us in the face

redrumracer
07-17-2008, 09:07 PM
I just saw a commercial by BMW that said "where we are from these gas prices are nothing new" and they were showing gas @ over $8 a gallon. then it went on to say how good of mpg there cars get. i ont know about yall but that just seems like a slap in the face. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Echonova
07-17-2008, 09:13 PM
You know what the difference is between a BMW and porcupine??

With a BMW the prick is on the inside.

BKgen®
07-17-2008, 09:22 PM

You know the difference between that joke and my great grandfather?

That joke is older.

OnURleft
07-17-2008, 09:35 PM
haha at this thread. Well they do..If I go 74mph I get about 28-30mpg in the M3. A 330, 530, E46 M3 etc. do similar or better numbers. At most BMW forums you'll find that most BMW's are underrated as far as milage goes, which is nice. A new magazine tested the new M3 vert at 26 averaging 80-95mph in Europe..no sports car/luxury car brands can match the average milage of their cars (not being a fan boy just stating fact) but THANK god I don't have to pay European prices. We are actually looking into getting a 335D though, which would be sweet.

redrumracer
07-17-2008, 09:45 PM
haha at this thread. Well they do..If I go 74mph I get about 28-30mpg in the M3. A 330, 530, E46 M3 etc. do similar or better numbers. At most BMW forums you'll find that most BMW's are underrated as far as milage goes, which is nice. A new magazine tested the new M3 vert at 26 averaging 80-95mph in Europe..no sports car/luxury car brands can match the average milage of their cars (not being a fan boy just stating fact) but THANK god I don't have to pay European prices. We are actually looking into getting a 335D though, which would be sweet.
i just thought it was hilarious, hell i like bmw's like m3's and the bigger ones. not too crazy about the z models.

Echonova
07-17-2008, 10:20 PM
You know the difference between that joke and my great grandfather?

That joke is older.STFU and go correct someones spelling.

NewGen33
07-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Fuel is taxed higher over than here. Yet we have things higher taxed here than they do so it evens out for the most part.

JennB
07-17-2008, 10:41 PM
^ What?

Gas is the equivalent of $9+ a gallon in most of Europe. And most of them pay very high income taxes and VAT as well.

It doesn't even out there. People in Europe don't usually drive like we do.

Alan®
07-17-2008, 10:45 PM
If i had 20-25k to drop on any car right now it would be an E39 M5

NewGen33
07-17-2008, 10:48 PM
^ What?

Gas is the equivalent of $9+ a gallon in most of Europe. And most of them pay very high income taxes and VAT as well.

It doesn't even out there. People in Europe don't usually drive like we do.
Dont get all sore in the butt. We both have to pay higher taxes on something. Making my point be that they pay higher gas but we pay taxes also and some of them will be more costly to us then them.

OnURleft
07-17-2008, 11:13 PM
If i had 20-25k to drop on any car right now it would be an E39 M5

Yep that's what I have and thats one of my all time favorites but I think i'm just going to invest my money until i'm out of college instead of buying another 5. They are pretty cool...110 capable traps stock, 4 doors and will get 26-29 mpg cruising at 75-80.

Kaiser
07-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Dont get all sore in the butt. We both have to pay higher taxes on something. Making my point be that they pay higher gas but we pay taxes also and some of them will be more costly to us then them.

...Seriously? You should look into how much they pay for gas without tax. Yes, they pay more for gas in taxes than we do. They pay less in taxes on great stuff like...cigarettes...and beer.

No, it does not "just even out" and if you had any idea how the economy actually worked you might have a better understanding of what your statement meant, let alone the implications of it.

NewGen33
07-17-2008, 11:52 PM
...Seriously? You should look into how much they pay for gas without tax. Yes, they pay more for gas in taxes than we do. They pay less in taxes on great stuff like...cigarettes...and beer.

No, it does not "just even out" and if you had any idea how the economy actually worked you might have a better understanding of what your statement meant, let alone the implications of it.
Your attempt at trying to sound intelligent was pointless. The only point I'm making is that they pay a higher tax on something and we pay a higher tax on something. Therefore, We could make a commercial about what we have always been paying a higher tax on that they are just now starting to feel. Making it even out in this case not as a whole.

Doppelgänger
07-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Dont get all sore in the butt. We both have to pay higher taxes on something. Making my point be that they pay higher gas but we pay taxes also and some of them will be more costly to us then them.LoL... You still don't get it do you? Do you even know what VAT is? Not only are they taxed higher on their income, taxes are high on goods as well, not to mention the fees/surcharges just to drive on the roads. So no, it's not "even".

Nemesis
07-18-2008, 07:35 AM
My GT pulled almost 30mpg going 60-70mph on the highway. I think its a hybrid V8 in disguise :-X

blackboi50
07-18-2008, 07:36 AM

OMFG:eek:........he speaks!!!!!!!:lmao:............1

BanginJimmy
07-18-2008, 07:38 AM
If you goto Eurpose and convert your dollars to Euros on a 1 to 1 basis, you would be broke MUCH quicker over there than here.

A value meal at MCD's will cost you about 10 euros.
Liter of gas is 3-4
rent and housing are worse than Cali
everyday groceries are horrible

Sammich
07-18-2008, 07:56 AM
STFU and go correct someones spelling.

i lol'd cuz it just so happened i told him the same thing the other day

BKgen®
07-18-2008, 08:00 AM
STFU and go correct someones spelling.

lol

(ol)

B_Hoov
07-18-2008, 08:09 AM
the economy is WAY different over there, you buy gas by the liter and i want to say my friend stated it was like 3.00+ per liter, they also make more money, 30k over here is the equivalent of like 45k euro over there which is significantly more, in us dollars almost twice as much!

Brett
07-18-2008, 08:12 AM
More made me appreciate even though $4.40 is way high that it could be much worse...

JennB
07-18-2008, 08:20 AM
If you goto Eurpose and convert your dollars to Euros on a 1 to 1 basis, you would be broke MUCH quicker over there than here.

A value meal at MCD's will cost you about 10 euros.
Liter of gas is 3-4
rent and housing are worse than Cali
everyday groceries are horrible

Not exactly. Last time I had a Euro McD's meal it was about 5 euros. Mmmm.. I loooove pommes frites sauce... but McD's is still nasty, even over there.

A Litre of gas is about 1.50-1.75euros.

Housing is insane. I had a very long conversation about housing with a Finnish colleague of mine and and it's almost hard to believe some of the prices. But there live a totally different lifestyle than we do.

Groceries are so-so. Not horrible but you do get a lot less. Drinks don't come in huge 2 liters and portions are smaller for everything else as well.

The funniest part to me was the gas sign that said "8.something" on the prices. European gas prices look more like this but I guess the effect wouldn't have been nearly the same

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-07/40848499.jpg

Those are 1'sas the first number.

And I see the commercial as less of a slap in the face and more of "we already know how to handle this"

Ran
07-18-2008, 08:27 AM
haha at this thread. Well they do..If I go 74mph I get about 28-30mpg in the M3. A 330, 530, E46 M3 etc. do similar or better numbers. At most BMW forums you'll find that most BMW's are underrated as far as milage goes, which is nice. A new magazine tested the new M3 vert at 26 averaging 80-95mph in Europe..no sports car/luxury car brands can match the average milage of their cars (not being a fan boy just stating fact) but THANK god I don't have to pay European prices. We are actually looking into getting a 335D though, which would be sweet.Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but my V8 Mustang gets about that on the highway as well. 22-23ish in the city.