PDA

View Full Version : NOPI Nationals Cancelled

jumpin800agl
07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
July 16, 2008 It is with great regret that NOPI Motorsports, LLC has suspended operations for the summer and fall 2008. This will include NOPI Drag Racing Series, NOPI Drift Series and the NOPI NATIONALS Motorsports Supershow. The company is undergoing an organizational restructuring in light of severe adverse affects of a disappointing spring season. The economy and unfavorable weather resulted in underperformance of all spring events. Michael Meyers, president of NOPI Motorsports, reports that NOPI Motorsports is working with its clients and sponsors to minimize the uncertainty going forward. This is a reflection of the economic times in which we currently live. The countrywide economic and industry downturn has caused a slowdown and tightening of belts. This affects everyone and companies, at all levels, and NOPI Motorsports is no different.

We understand the position this puts everyone in and we hope you can find in your heart to work with us through this terrible time. All of you are our friends and we have felt for many years that we were all a big family.

NOPI Motorsports hates this more than anyone as the many years of hard work, tradition and an industry we helped to shape would come to this.

Please watch nopi.com for future announcements.

SLOWR/T
07-16-2008, 08:42 AM
WOW didnt see this coming

yogi08
07-16-2008, 08:43 AM
first banks closing... now nopi. whoa nelly haha

Vteckidd
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
saw this coming for years.

Sad really

SixSquared
07-16-2008, 08:45 AM
wow....

tony
07-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Maybe it can be replaced with a show with judges that are actually objective? Just a thought..

/bitterness

MeFryRice
07-16-2008, 08:49 AM
:eek:

SixSquared
07-16-2008, 08:49 AM
I cant find anything about this on their website... link?

Vteckidd
07-16-2008, 08:55 AM
its been rumored for awhile. I heard they filed bankruptcy last month.

No word yet officially, even on HT they havent responded.

OP do you work for NOPI? how did you hear this?

MeFryRice
07-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I cant find anything about this on their website... link?

:stupid:

Vteckidd
07-16-2008, 08:57 AM
someone call up there

Reaper
07-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Never been to Nopi, I was actually planning on going this year just to see whats up....oh well.

Just shows how F'd up our economy is....

quickdodge®
07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
All everyone has to do is go to their local trophy shop and have a trophy made for themselves. That would be the equivalent of going to NAPI in the first place. Later, QD.

mitch lab
07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
wow

smrlsvtec
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
:cry: i love nopi :no:

Nitro
07-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Maybe it can be replaced with a show with judges that are actually objective? Just a thought..

/bitterness

:cheers: the man has spoken!!! Sup T?

blacknightteg
07-16-2008, 09:15 AM
IA TAKE OVEER!!!! lol

The BUCKY
07-16-2008, 09:23 AM
someone call to find out

Evil Goat
07-16-2008, 09:34 AM
damn, hopefully it isn't true, but i dont doubt it, they cancelled the Colorado and utah races b/c of this already....we were hoping virginia would still be on as we had a large group of people that were going to go with JJSPEC

SixSquared
07-16-2008, 09:35 AM
EDIT

Talked to a Nopi person on the phone... Nopi 2008 isn't happening

Vteckidd
07-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Its been CONFIRMED via GM, NEW ENGLAND DRAG WAY, AND YOPARTS.COM and other sponsors, ITS REAL

IT IS CANCELLED

blackboi50
07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
AS PER NOPI'S VOICEMAIL

The COLORADO AND UTAH events have been cancelled. The next event will be the New England event. The website and their voicemail say NOTHING about Nationals being cancelled

hope they do the southern nationals.....:yes:.......1

Nissan Sean
07-16-2008, 09:40 AM
well Nationals id the largest of all the events, i could see them still doing it. --least i hope so. i love NOPI.

Vteckidd
07-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Its been CONFIRMED via GM, NEW ENGLAND DRAG WAY, AND YOPARTS.COM and other sponsors, ITS REAL

IT IS CANCELLED

READ

DJ Maestro
07-16-2008, 09:43 AM
I seriously doubt they are going to do much of anything after cancelling this many events. If the event you wanted to happen was going to be put on by NOPI then you can pretty much just put the big red X over it.

Oh well, this works to my favor really now. I had a wedding to DJ that same weekend and I was going to have to tell my peeps that I would not be able to make it to NOPI with them. All worked out in the end. :goodjob:

DJ Maestro
07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey Mr. Kidd, you think they'll still put on the Nationals??? :rolleyes:

The BUCKY
07-16-2008, 09:45 AM
lol

Vteckidd
07-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey Mr. Kidd, you think they'll still put on the Nationals??? :rolleyes:
No as of now ALL EVENTS ARE CANCELLED.

That means
NDRA/NHRA
NOPI DRIFT
NOPI NATIONALS

Rumor is they filed bankruptcy and are restructuring /closing down

DJ Maestro
07-16-2008, 09:57 AM
They could at least still put on the Nopi Bikini Contest. No need to cancel it. :D

cruzinbeck
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
ok folks I just called and talked with Michael Myers they are canceling NOPI Nationals! Michael said that there was no way they could pull it off, and that the press release will go out in the next day or so.
He stated that he was truly sorry and has spent 20 years building this and thanked everyone for all of their support.
He also stated that Atlanta Motor speedway is trying to work something out to pull off some kind of event that weekend.
He also stated that he didn't know if it would be return for next year, but that is his hopes.
You can reach him at 1-800-277-6674
When I called I did ext 241 listen to Voice mail and then hit 0 when they got on the phone I told them I needed to speak with someone who could confirm Atlanta Nopi Nationals I held for about 10 minutes and then Michael answered.

So I have called and confirmed! They say the website will be updated with the press release.

Take care!

blackboi50
07-16-2008, 10:11 AM
ok folks I just called and talked with Michael Myers they are canceling NOPI Nationals! Michael said that there was no way they could pull it off, and that the press release will go out in the next day or so.
He stated that he was truly sorry and has spent 20 years building this and thanked everyone for all of their support.
He also stated that Atlanta Motor speedway is trying to work something out to pull off some kind of event that weekend.
He also stated that he didn't know if it would be return for next year, but that is his hopes.
You can reach him at 1-800-277-6674
When I called I did ext 241 listen to Voice mail and then hit 0 when they got on the phone I told them I needed to speak with someone who could confirm Atlanta Nopi Nationals I held for about 10 minutes and then Michael answered.

So I have called and confirmed! They say the website will be updated with the press release.

Take care!

wow :eek:

wait a second....mike myers????? like austin powers??:thinking:....or waynes world :???:.........hahhahaa

i kidd i kidd:lmfao:.....1

DJ Maestro
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
No, this guy....

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2007/02/27/mike-myers.jpg

DieselNuts
07-16-2008, 10:14 AM
this makes me LOL. Nopi turned to shiit when they left VW behind for the new ricer trends...

Nemesis
07-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Awww, how sad. LOL

B18c1Turboed
07-16-2008, 10:23 AM
NO suprise!!! Glad i sold the car now!!!

DevilK9
07-16-2008, 10:30 AM
unfavorable weather resulted in underperformance of all spring events. ...... This is a reflection of the economic times in which we currently live.

I call bull**** on this one. It wasn't the weather that made the events unsuccessfull, it was their lack of management discipline. If managed properly, ticket and merchandise sales are only a fraction of event revenue. Event Sponsorship is where the majority of revenue comes from. If they provided a venue worth being at, actually promoted the events beyond radio ads four days out, and pushed sponsors more than their own brand, forum, and merchandise, they might actually bring in some dough. It also helps not to book venues three hours from the nearest metro area, in a town with only one or two hotels. Did they learn nothing from NOPI New York 06?

It's no secret that NOPI shows have been mismanaged. If you're going to cancel, at least have the balls to man up and say "hey...we f*cked up." Don't try and shift blame.

This is not a reflection of "the economic times in which we currently live", this is a reflection of the consistent selfishness and stubborness of the Meyers duo. Too busy spending all your dough, getting your freak on with skank ass hoes and not enough time dealing with the business of sport compact motorsports and aftermarket part sales. I'm not saying times are tough (this year's SEMA show is undoubtedly going to reflect that), but it's not someone elses fault that NOPI can't survive like many other aftermarket distributors are - it's the fact that they don't know what they're doing and refuse to get help.

I feel bad for them. It sucks to lose. I've lost many times myself - but if you're gonna blame someone, look in the mirror.

Looks like I have a free weekend in September....what to do, what to do?

mx34life
07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
DAM THIS **** SUCKS!!!!

4DRGSR
07-16-2008, 10:54 AM
No as of now ALL EVENTS ARE CANCELLED.

That means
NDRA/NHRA
NOPI DRIFT
NOPI NATIONALS

Rumor is they filed bankruptcy and are restructuring /closing down

I can confirm this. I just spoke to the savannah store. I used to work at the augusta branch years ago. My business still deals with Nopi, and suddenly, we are getting great deals on everything. I think after a year or two, things maybe back on coarse.

ash7
07-16-2008, 10:58 AM
doesn't surprise me... they've been raising their ticket prices for years. Who's going to pay 100+ dollars to go see the same old same old?

-jonathan

Elbow
07-16-2008, 10:59 AM
What a shame :gay: lol

ash7
07-16-2008, 11:00 AM

get your car ready for the sofakingfresh meet! :cheers:

-jonathan

Black4DrEK
07-16-2008, 11:01 AM
damn this sucks.

4dmin
07-16-2008, 11:04 AM
wow

Superman350z
07-16-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm sad I have a blast every year.

IMPORTchic
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
I call bull**** on this one. It wasn't the weather that made the events unsuccessfull, it was their lack of management discipline. If managed properly, ticket and merchandise sales are only a fraction of event revenue. Event Sponsorship is where the majority of revenue comes from. If they provided a venue worth being at, actually promoted the events beyond radio ads four days out, and pushed sponsors more than their own brand, forum, and merchandise, they might actually bring in some dough. It also helps not to book venues three hours from the nearest metro area, in a town with only one or two hotels. Did they learn nothing from NOPI New York 06?

It's no secret that NOPI shows have been mismanaged. If you're going to cancel, at least have the balls to man up and say "hey...we f*cked up." Don't try and shift blame.

This is not a reflection of "the economic times in which we currently live", this is a reflection of the consistent selfishness and stubborness of the Meyers duo. Too busy spending all your dough, getting your freak on with skank ass hoes and not enough time dealing with the business of sport compact motorsports and aftermarket part sales. I'm not saying times are tough (this year's SEMA show is undoubtedly going to reflect that), but it's not someone elses fault that NOPI can't survive like many other aftermarket distributors are - it's the fact that they don't know what they're doing and refuse to get help.

I feel bad for them. It sucks to lose. I've lost many times myself - but if you're gonna blame someone, look in the mirror.

True true....

And yeah....free weekend! Whoo hoo! What to do?! Lets throw a party!:bump: =)

......riiiight! :rolleyes:

Elbow
07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I never knew people actually liked Nopi ;)

Def. not the economy, racing has not been effected.

blazin'
07-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm sad I have a blast every year.

x2.

RL...
07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I've only been once, last year, and thought it was great. Lots of people, hot girls, show cars, drifting, and cars bouncing around. What more could you want? And I was planning to go this year. This feels like the end of an era...

Now I have a free weekend in September too...

UpSideDownDesi
07-16-2008, 11:56 AM
"OMG IT GOT CANCELED".....end of life huh? Move on

Nissangeek
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
It's not canceled. I work for TEIN. If it was we would have heard about it before anyone since we're a sponsor.

DevilK9
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
It's not canceled. I work for TEIN. If it was we would have heard about it before anyone since we're a sponsor.

Dude...if you haven't learned by now...your dealing with NOPI. :headslap: (http://misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=6#) :headslap:

As a sponsor, you will be the LAST PERSON TO KNOW.

Trust me, I know from experience.

MeFryRice
07-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Dude...if you haven't learned by now...your dealing with NOPI. :headslap: (http://misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=6#) :headslap:

As a sponsor, you will be the LAST PERSON TO KNOW.

Trust me, I know from experience.

:stupid:

RL...
07-16-2008, 12:39 PM
"OMG IT GOT CANCELED".....end of life huh? Move on

LOL It's not the end of life...it's just something I looked forward to. Like I said, nice cars, and nice women make for a fun day. :D

Killswitch Performance
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM

Denial, look it up

-vteckidd

DJ Maestro
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Just curious, how old is everyone who will actually miss the Nationals?? :thinking:

bigdare23
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM

/bitterness

I placed at the nationals in 03, so I like the judges :lmfao:

B18c1Turboed
07-16-2008, 01:01 PM
They canncelled 2 races in utah and Colorado. the Last people to know where the sponsors. They kept telling everyone NO, didnt they look stupid when it was true!

B18c1Turboed
07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
NOPI JUST RELEASED IT
http://www.newenglanddragway.com/html/home.php?dest=news&artical=138

h23bb2
07-16-2008, 01:08 PM
IA should throw a similiar type of event that weekend at the speedway if you ask me.... Could be fun.

Vteckidd
07-16-2008, 01:15 PM
hate all you want the NOPI NATIONALS was always fun to just go hang out with people. It was kind of like the Varsity. People talk alot of **** but eventually end up going because despite all the ricers and BS, it was fun to hang out with people, many times people you havent seen in a year or more.

Ive been every year the last 5 years and always had a blast.

Cant believe they would cancel it they must be in SERIOUS TROUBLE because the Nopi Nationals was always the one event they MADE MONEY ON, i guess they are in so much debt and i bet with the way the economy is, people arent ponying up the money

UpSideDownDesi
07-16-2008, 01:42 PM
IA should throw a similiar type of event that weekend at the speedway if you ask me.... Could be fun.
RainFest...i mean Tunerfest

B18c1Turboed
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
according to Tracy ( their secatary) alot of companies werent showing up! So i guess it would be kinda pointless. **** i went every year and never made it pass the companies sections. I can see rice any day of the week. I go too see what new stuff is coming out!!!

B18c1Turboed
07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
NOpI OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
http://www.nopi.com/nopims/dsp_news.php?vaid=1463
And NHRA Comments

NHRA STATEMENT ON NOPI SERIES CANCELLATION

NHRA is surprised and extremely disappointed to hear that NOPI Motorsports has announced that it plans to cancel the rest of the 2008 NOPI Drag Racing Series season.

With this announcement, NHRA is encouraging sport compact racers to consider options available within NHRA and its NHRA member track network.

Two national programs that offer alternatives to sport compact racers include the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and the NHRA Summit Racing Series. Both programs offer a number of classes and venues for sport compact enthusiasts to enjoy the sport of sport compact racing at a local, regional and national level.

The NHRA member track network offers a number of weekly programs that provide a platform for sport compact racing. Additionally, Battle of the Imports has four NHRA member tracks remaining on its 2008 season schedule, with events planned in Sacramento, Seattle, Portland and Fontana, Calif.

For more information log on to nhra.com.

DevilK9
07-16-2008, 01:56 PM
^^^NHRA "suprised"^^^

Pretty bad when you don't even notify your primary sanctioning body that your closing up shop.

I just got word from a very reliable source that they released the news to certain vendors/partners a couple days ago, but threatened to sue for defamation if they told anybody before they released.

I'm sorry, but these guys are complete a.sshats.

Boosted FC
07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
I guess there is always that great other car show. What was it called...:rolleyes:

BARRETT PKWY

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Nissangeek
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I retract my last statement. I just heard from Marketing that it is canceled. Oops.

4DRGSR
07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I hate to see it end as a former employee. I have been every year for the past 10. I will probably just stay home and stare at my 3 useless imports and drink mo beer.

coolZero
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
^^^NHRA "suprised"^^^

Pretty bad when you don't even notify your primary sanctioning body that your closing up shop.

I just got word from a very reliable source that they released the news to certain vendors/partners a couple days ago, but threatened to sue for defamation if they told anybody before they released.

I'm sorry, but these guys are complete a.sshats.

Hey they found out about the Colorado events being cancelled from the press release on the NOPI Site! - they didn't even get a call. Nice PR there.

4DRGSR
07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
You can thank Mr. Mike Myers for that. We were fired in an email here in augusta. He is a douchebag. I like the old man, he had a great attitude towards his people, but his son is the king of all asshats.

Axix23
07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
i thought they were making bank with all the shows going on? THis sucks, I been going to Nopi every year.. We were lucky to have an event like this in our state... I don't understand why everybody compained about the show sucking and etc.. Now its gone, people will realize how lucky we were to have a big show like that in ATL... FK man.. This blows!!!!!!!!!

Axix23
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
I really hope this is a fkin joke...

DJ Maestro
07-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I really hope this is a fkin joke...

We're a little past April for this to be a joke. I'm sorry man, but it is very real. :no:

Axix23
07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
FK man, just read the nopi.com website and talked to a guy at Forest PArk Nopi... I am sorry, but this is fking depressing.. I was trying to finish a car by Nopi Nats and its cancelled.. This fking blows... :(

AyeJaye
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
the one year i try to go and they cancelled. ah well. guess me and my friends will use the money and buy a wii :) haha

Total_Blender
07-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Hmm what did Nopi have to offer... pay $100 to get in and see some "tuner cars" and some hot chicks? You can just go to the Varsity fo free and then walk a couple blocks up the street to the Cheetah afterward.:boobies: :cheers:

Vteckidd
07-16-2008, 03:34 PM
You can thank Mr. Mike Myers for that. We were fired in an email here in augusta. He is a douchebag. I like the old man, he had a great attitude towards his people, but his son is the king of all asshats.
LOL i heard that about that.

Mike and Mark have been known to be absolute morons. They ran that place into the ground

Elbow
07-16-2008, 03:34 PM
^True about the V

But remember some people do build show cars and this event is like their holy grail. So to those I feel bad.

DevilK9
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Y We were fired in an email here in augusta. He is a douchebag.

Dude, that is super lame. No balls whatsoever.

If you can't give bad news to someone's face, you are truly a peice of sh/t.

I hope you stole the pens.

wannab20hatch
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
this blows. i missed last year and was just asking off for this year. time to book a hotel just in case they decide to have it.

i wont defend nopi but its easy to be a monday morning qb and say they couldve done this or that but when faced with their situation its hard to pay attention to whats ahead when theres millions rolling across your desk. seen it multiple companies. living n the monet and not looking ahead. and as for small venes its hard to book,staff,secure, promote a large venue knowing that gas is 4+ bucks a gallon and alot of cars run premium now. people just dont want to spend the money on gas to go. alot of industries have been hit by it. movies,restarants,malls,etc

WalkS
07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
AS PER NOPI'S VOICEMAIL

The COLORADO AND UTAH events have been cancelled. The next event will be the New England event. The website and their voicemail say NOTHING about Nationals being cancelled

Press Release:

http://www.nopi.com/nopims/dsp_news.php?vaid=1463

blazin'
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I had friends from out of state planning on coming. We're all so busy, we don't get too many chances to hang out and this was the one time every year that we could all get together. But...life goes on.

umairejaz
07-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Been a few times, all I remember was hot weather but enjoying the ride there and back was always the best part.

Big_Dave
07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm 37 years old and I used to go to Nopi events when they were all air cooled at Lakewood Fairgrounds, and then It went to like half air cooled and hondas then they moved to AMS. The first few shows at AMS were pretty cool and most winning cars were built and/or funded by the car owners. Once it became all about the money and sponsorships for the venue, and the only way to win a trophy (generally) was by having sponsors, to ofset the costs of the wilder and wilder builds, I feel the shows just lost their soul. The majority of the winning cars in the shows were just to over the top.

RL...
07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm 37 years old and I used to go to Nopi events when they were all air cooled at Lakewood Fairgrounds, and then It went to like half air cooled and hondas then they moved to AMS. The first few shows at AMS were pretty cool and most winning cars were built and/or funded by the car owners. Once it became all about the money and sponsorships for the venue, and the only way to win a trophy (generally) was by having sponsors, to ofset the costs of the wilder and wilder builds, I feel the shows just lost their soul. The majority of the winning cars in the shows were just to over the top.

true...but it sucks that ga might no longer have a big car show...no HIN....no SEMA, no SpoCom, and now no nopi....theres always the DUB show!! lol j/k:no:

Axix23
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
1 thing I think they should of done, was just stick to 1 Nopi Nationals car show instead of trying to expand and having soooo many other shows over the US and spending soo much money doing so.. They got greedy and tried to take over and bring soo many shows instead of just sticking to 1, but then again they weren't making anymore money from the parts side so they had to branch out somehow to make more money... I feel bad... I supported the March Nopi Drag car show this year and the turnout sucked due to bad weather. I think this was just alot of bad luck. Thats what killed it.. And also all the online internet sites for parts that the prices were beating nopi's...

Jaimecbr900
07-16-2008, 04:39 PM
The show cars can go to a bunch of other local and semi-local shows......think about the racers. What are they going to do now?

Think about it. You built a car or retro-fitted a car to conform to the "new" NHRA rules that just came into play this year. You have sponsors that have agreed to pay X amount of money for a season that now is not there. You figured you'd have X amount of money in your budget to race, thanks to the sponsors, and now.......:screwy:

I really hope someone steps up to fill that void. :ninja:

Axix23
07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
and the only way to win a trophy (generally) was by having sponsors, to ofset the costs of the wilder and wilder builds, I feel the shows just lost their soul. The majority of the winning cars in the shows were just to over the top.[/QUOTE]

Thats not true... I don't have big sponsors or anything and still continue to kick every year at Nopi Nats.. You just gotta build an original car that you love and that can't be easily reproduced meaning, bought online and set the trend... But who cares about the winning?? Its all about going there, having a good time, meet friends you haven't seen in years, and showing off your ride to the national crowd and watching people admire your work and having people complimenting on your hard work.. I think thats the best trophy you can get... If your building your car to win, then your doing it for the wrong reasons..

OTG Signs
07-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I was parked next to Anthony last year. Was a lot of fun as usual!

Vteckidd
07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
The show cars can go to a bunch of other local and semi-local shows......think about the racers. What are they going to do now?

Think about it. You built a car or retro-fitted a car to conform to the "new" NHRA rules that just came into play this year. You have sponsors that have agreed to pay X amount of money for a season that now is not there. You figured you'd have X amount of money in your budget to race, thanks to the sponsors, and now.......:screwy:

I really hope someone steps up to fill that void. :ninja:

Didnt MM run NDRA? or did they run NHRA?

What are their plans now because as i see it BOTI is the only thing left.

MM was a big time racer the last few years and won a few years ago correct?

This must be a serious blow to them an their racing division

jumpin800agl
07-16-2008, 04:51 PM
its been rumored for awhile. I heard they filed bankruptcy last month.

No word yet officially, even on HT they havent responded.

OP do you work for NOPI? how did you hear this?
recieved this on another forum from a member that works for Atlanta Motor Speedway. This was released to them.

OTG Signs
07-16-2008, 04:52 PM
You have to be pretty horrid at business to fail on that scale.

90DB1
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
lets go to the parking lot and just have a bigg meet

Jaimecbr900
07-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Didnt MM run NDRA? or did they run NHRA?

What are their plans now because as i see it BOTI is the only thing left.

MM was a big time racer the last few years and won a few years ago correct?

This must be a serious blow to them an their racing division

They did run in the NDRA/NHRA.

We've been hearing rumors for months now. Sam I'm sure is going to do something, just not sure what just yet. We've talked about several things. The only problem with BOTI right now is that they are mostly west coast. I'm hoping that in light of the news, they'll step up and fill the void left by NDRA. There's been a ton of backlash all season from a lot of racing teams that leads me to believe they all wanted change anyway.

To be honest, this is actually prime season for someone like BOTI to swoop in and take advantage and build another sanctioning body to take over. It's going to be hard for anyone outside the racing scene, unless they have tons of money, to do a complete upstart now IMO. Then again, that's what someone may just do. I'm not sure.

I know one thing, it sucks. At the beginning of the season, there was so much crap about the rule changes and how they were going to be so strict and :blah: :blah: , and now this. I know for us personally, we had to make a few changes to conform to the rules that weren't exactly cheap. Nobody is going to recoop that money now, unless the new sanctioning body just adopts the existing/now extinct rule book. It would make sense for them to do that because it was drafted by NHRA. Who knows. Maybe whomever comes in will instead lax the rules to try and attract more new people that didn't have the finances before to conform to rule changes. :thinking:

It's all a guessing game right now though.

COGCaviZ24
07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
just canceled my hotels reservation

Mad Mike
07-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm going to wait till its cloaser befor I cancel my hotel reservation. But dang that sucks. Its the only time all my friends come down from kansas city with there cars.

CB7tuner
07-16-2008, 06:40 PM
I bet the cops around here ( Henry County) are happy this event is cancelled lol:police: :police: :police:

OTG Signs
07-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I bet the cops around here ( Henry County) are happy this event is cancelled lol:police: :police: :police:

You're kidding right? They made the more money that weekend than the rest of the year combined.

slostang
07-16-2008, 06:54 PM
lets go to the parking lot and just have a bigg meet

its called the varsity noobcakes.

gt4rcdude
07-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Damn. I enjoyed the big show. It was kinda ricey but it was more about the people than the cars for me. If you looked at it as entertainment, it delivered. NOPI lost it's focus of providing hard to get import parts at reasonable prices.

It's gotta be poor management. $100 per car times what, 5000ish? Plus ticket sales and sponsors? They had to be making a killing.

:2cents:

boosted b
07-16-2008, 07:30 PM
son of a ***** i was being my car for that ****

SixSquared
07-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Takes a lot of pressure off me to finish my car, but it still sucks.. like Mr. Kidd said, it's a lot of fun to see old friends and people I don't get to see a lot. :(

bigdare23
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184299

SixSquared
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184299

... and the pressure to finish the s14.5 is back on. :taun:

bigdare23
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
... and the pressure to finish the s14.5 is back on. :taun:

Good :goodjob:

Axix23
07-16-2008, 08:46 PM
yall might as well cancel your hotel reservations.. Its not going to happen this year and prob. won't ever come back.. I bet Nopi goes bankrupt and closes down within the year...

JITB
07-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Nopi nationals is always fun...:(

boostedb16
07-16-2008, 09:05 PM
well sh!t, i have been every year for the past 9 or 10 and i always had fun. well lets all get together and have a open sofakingfresh meet.

WalkS
07-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I read somewhere on H-T that Atlanta Motor speedway is trying to gather up a event that same weekend for Nopi Nats being canceled. Correct me if I'm wrong, But that's what I just read.

SPOOLIN
07-16-2008, 09:14 PM
amazing how such a big thing can fall to nothing less than 1 year later.

Axix23
07-16-2008, 09:22 PM
there is a show in NC called "Pebble Pushers" on the same weekend as Nopi was supposed to be.... Its a mini-truckin' show but still should be fun...

Civictyper95
07-16-2008, 11:23 PM
where is HIN wen u need it???!?!?!?!?!

Don Napier
07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
In the wake of the NOPI Nationals and the remainder of the NOPI Motorsports Season being cancelled this year, we feel compelled to express our sincere hope that the Myers Brothers and the entire NOPI organization will soon return to this industry better than ever. While ImportAlliance is a fundamentally different event than any of the NOPI events we can readily identify with the difficulty that is associated with producing a show at the level and quality that has become associated with the the NOPI Nationals.

In the meantime we will continue to produce and promote ImportAlliance for what it is - the Largest Import Car Meet in the country. For those of you who have never attended an ImportAlliance event and are wondering whether you should plan in the next few days to take the trip to Nashville Tennessee, here is what you can expect. It's a grassroots style…. Cruise-in/meet/social gathering/show-n-shine/learning opportunity/teaching opportunity/marketing opportunity/motorsports event. ImportAlliance is everything that you love about import cars. It is not a lifestyle event. It is how people who enjoy import cars get together and have fun while learning to make their cars even better. We know that a lot of energy goes into building cars and doing mods in preparation for national events. We would encourage you to consider bringing your car to ImportAlliance'08 to demonstrate the hard work you've invested in your car. We sincerely hope to see you and your car at ImportAlliance '08.

DB4LYFE ™
07-17-2008, 12:12 AM
ImportAlliance is here for the grassroots import car enthusiasts. We welcome you guys to our event on July 26th and 27th.
ima b thur jus not with the foe doe!:goodjob:

~DB4LYFE

DaMaGe ZWK
07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
well that sucks donkey d ick... guess ill be going to fun ford or something

Jaimecbr900
07-17-2008, 09:16 AM
A little bird told me that there may be something in the works from some local people to take place in lieu of the Nats.

All those that have people coming from out of town or have not cancelled their plans may want to wait and see if they would still come out to this.

Stay tuned. :goodjob:

Fr33way
07-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Not suprised and don't really care but I do feel for those guys that are in the show scene, hopefully something like Jaime mentioned can come together.

Vteckidd
07-17-2008, 09:41 AM
A little bird told me that there may be something in the works from some local people to take place in lieu of the Nats.

All those that have people coming from out of town or have not cancelled their plans may want to wait and see if they would still come out to this.

Stay tuned. :goodjob:

Jaime you may want to post that on HT too if you dont have a Screename let me know

Lusos
07-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Damn, this sucks to hear. I feel bad for the guys like Titan Motorsports, JJSpec, Shepard Transmissions, etc. who make their living following the circuit. For some reason, NOPI just dosen't realize how deep the reprocussions fo these actions are going to be felt in the community.

Oh well, enough whining. Let us not forget about Import Showdown in fall. Hopefully some of the former NOPI sponsors will be willing to jump on and help us make I.S. even larger this year.

Jaimecbr900
07-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Jaime you may want to post that on HT too if you dont have a Screename let me know

Just got a call from my contact.

I'm going to start a new thread to keep the clutter out.

I'll post it up on HT too if you want me to.

Vteckidd
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
i just know that a vast majority of HT treks out to NN so if you got something, post it up over there i know alot of people will appreciate it

Jaimecbr900
07-17-2008, 10:48 AM
i just know that a vast majority of HT treks out to NN so if you got something, post it up over there i know alot of people will appreciate it

I just went on there and the main NOPI thread is mostly about the racing series. I don't want to jump in there and post about a show part.

You are the man over there.....you can quote me......call me a VERY SMART "source"......:lmfao: :lmfao:

Ol' Gregg
07-17-2008, 02:46 PM
best way to sum it all up from stunna ben...
Thursday, July 17, 2008

" Nopi Nationals Flops, but the sport lives to see another day
Current mood: strong
Category: Automotive

Hard times fell on our industry as of July 16th, when Nopi announced that the Nopi Nationals which is a yearly tradition will not take place this year. This is certainly a blow to not only our area and the industry of motorsports, it is a blow to the 2009 year of automotive as a whole. Imports, Domestics, Euros, New cars, Gas companies, and all will feel this. Today is Nopi, but next year could possibly be other events as well. We do not need to stand by and watch our industry fall short and take a back seat because companies cannot keep up with the times. This is our market, this is our lifestyle, this is our scene. We own it, we buy the parts, and we push the market to where it heads to in the future.

With this in mind, I stand here in a crucial position. Being one of the highly published photographers and media names in the industry, I feel it is not only my job as a name in the automotive market, but my duty as an enthusiast of our sport to step up and save what we call as our industry.

Insted of people standing around saying what they need to do, what events need to be like, and how things should be done, this is our chance to mold our venue and show not only the market but the world that we care about our scene and that it is not just dependant on our companies, it is our support that makes or breaks it.

In the coming weeks I will make announcements on my goals for the south east, and the world of automotive tuning. Stay tuned for much more information on this...

BEN "Stunnaben" Howard
Ben Howard Photography and Freelance Services
[email protected]"

B18c1Turboed
07-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Jaime and Mike the only option aint BOTI, there is also Import faceoff that holds 18 events thru the east coast.I think there both gonna step up even more now.

I could care less that nopi is out of it now. They did alot of racers wrong from the start of the season, not coming out with a rule book until 3 weeks before the 1st race, theres alot more. There was just too much BS running NDRA.

Cliff on the other hand ( owner of Import face off) always came up too us every race, asked how he could help us more. What could he change and so forth, he listened too the racers needs and wants!

I hope BOTI and IFO step up> ive never raced a BOTI events so im not sure how those events are, but only time will tell for te racers!

SPOOLIN
07-17-2008, 05:38 PM
IFO needs to now become a true event with a 2 day line up and solid schedule for those days. It would be so much more fun that way.

Me86Rob
07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
i really hope this is just for 2008. itll be gay if nopi is gone forever. last year was the first year i went, and it was totally amazing.

SPOOLIN
07-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Damn, this sucks to hear. I feel bad for the guys like Titan Motorsports, JJSpec, Shepard Transmissions, etc. who make their living following the circuit. For some reason, NOPI just dosen't realize how deep the reprocussions fo these actions are going to be felt in the community.

Oh well, enough whining. Let us not forget about Import Showdown in fall. Hopefully some of the former NOPI sponsors will be willing to jump on and help us make I.S. even larger this year.

titan and shepard left the NDRA 2 years ago. They got tired of the bull**** that far back. There are teams though that are now left looking to go to Domestic based races to fulfill their sponsorship. Mainly ADRL. I know im going to be attending some domestic based events now.

EJ25RUN
07-18-2008, 08:11 AM
i wont miss it. Not my scene at all anyways.

Superman350z
07-19-2008, 02:49 AM
best way to sum it all up from stunna ben...
Thursday, July 17, 2008

" Nopi Nationals Flops, but the sport lives to see another day
Current mood: strong
Category: Automotive

Hard times fell on our industry as of July 16th, when Nopi announced that the Nopi Nationals which is a yearly tradition will not take place this year. This is certainly a blow to not only our area and the industry of motorsports, it is a blow to the 2009 year of automotive as a whole. Imports, Domestics, Euros, New cars, Gas companies, and all will feel this. Today is Nopi, but next year could possibly be other events as well. We do not need to stand by and watch our industry fall short and take a back seat because companies cannot keep up with the times. This is our market, this is our lifestyle, this is our scene. We own it, we buy the parts, and we push the market to where it heads to in the future.

With this in mind, I stand here in a crucial position. Being one of the highly published photographers and media names in the industry, I feel it is not only my job as a name in the automotive market, but my duty as an enthusiast of our sport to step up and save what we call as our industry.

Insted of people standing around saying what they need to do, what events need to be like, and how things should be done, this is our chance to mold our venue and show not only the market but the world that we care about our scene and that it is not just dependant on our companies, it is our support that makes or breaks it.

In the coming weeks I will make announcements on my goals for the south east, and the world of automotive tuning. Stay tuned for much more information on this...

BEN "Stunnaben" Howard
Ben Howard Photography and Freelance Services
[email protected]"

I agree 100%. It's our scene.

dabuilding
07-19-2008, 09:21 AM
damn wtf thats so lame i was going this year to thats such a dissapointment

BITCHING
07-19-2008, 10:46 PM
nopi nat was over priced for what you get and the judges just went up to your car and just put a dot on it never judge it just put a dot and walk off..

driftingkid
07-20-2008, 11:20 AM
WTF,was always a fun event to go to.Damn Gas prices and economic BS