PDA

View Full Version : Misc Sony Takes the Lead

Vteckidd
07-15-2008, 11:07 PM
In the two days leading up to the year's biggest video games trade show, E3, it's become something of a tradition that the competing console manufacturers face off in a series of lavish press conferences. Now that 2008's round of announcements, demonstrations, trailers, and posturing are over, which console came out on top?

Despite rumors of price cuts, Microsoft opted to expand the hard drive of its mid-range offering instead of delivering any real savings to consumers. All the same, the 360's Dashboard interface is undergoing a serious overhaul this year, and looks to be coming out cleaner, with more downloadable games, and including custom avatars that are, not to mince words, a complete rip-off of Nintendo's Miis. ("Where else could you get an avatar creation system but on Xbox Live?" one developer commented. We have no idea.) On-demand movie and TV programming courtesy of Netflix will expand the 360's already bulging video abilities, and a new motion-sensing microphone controller will deliver new horrors to the terrifying world of karaoke games.

Sony put together a similar performance, shuffling its PS3 package offerings to little real effect (although you might pick up a bargain as retailers clear stock of the older lines). It's also expanding its video offerings by offering online movie rentals from an impressive portfolio of studios -- and you can take them on the road on your PSP, too. Unlike Microsoft's offerings, which have a vague "fall" ETA, Sony's new online features should be available by the time you read this.

That wasn't all, though. Sony's press conference rolled out a set of game trailers that had fans cheering: a new God of War game on PS3, a vast-looking massive action game named MAG, and a couple of promising superhero games: one massively-multiplayer title based on the DC superhero universe, and one futuristic, open-city game from the Sly Cooper studio. It's a great selection, and one that leaves Microsoft's roster of Gears of War 2 and Fable II looking a little tired.

Mind you, that wasn't the end of the software story. Although the Sony execs weren't visibly injured, Microsoft's press conference delivered them a metaphorical punch to the gut: the absolutely huge Final Fantasy series is no longer a PlayStation exclusive. Final Fantasy XIII will be coming to the 360, and unless you count the oddball, massively-multiplayer XI (we don't) it's the first time any of the modern Final Fantasy games have gone cross-platform. If nothing else dropped jaws at the Microsoft do, this announcement sure did.

In contrast, it was hard to dodge the grumbling on the way out of the Nintendo event. Where were the classic franchises we all know and love? Where, for that matter, was Mario? Nintendo fans had to make do with a new Animal Crossing title, and an oh-so-vague mention of a Grand Theft Auto game on the DS handheld. Accessories like the MotionPlus controller plug-in and the WiiSpeak microphone (pictured below) are all very well, but don't we have enough bits of plastic cluttering up our houses already?

Which, naturally, is Nintendo's modus operandi since the release of the Wii. For every disgruntled Nintendo hardcore fan, there's a whole houseful of delighted non-gamers enthused at the thought of getting together to play music without needing a bunch of instruments or, you know, any skill. But can Nintendo really deliver a music game experience that's as compelling as Rock Band?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Either way, this year's E3, so far, belongs to Sony -- and if you're still on the fence about which new system you're going to spring for, your decision just got a whole lot tougher.

Things are looking good for the PS3 crowd, people were dissapointed that Microsoft didnt lower its pricing of the 360 to compete with Sony.

GOod news about the PS3 having downloadable movies now!

RESISTANCE 2 TRAILER
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/e3-2008/e3-2008-videos/1227325%3Ecid=8828663

blacknightteg
07-15-2008, 11:11 PM
all except the 360 pro is now 299

Lucky DAWG
07-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Resistance 2 looks epic, the first one was highly over rated, one of the best shooters i've ever played. I think the not so developed multiplayer hurt it.

Happy about all with sony except the Final Fantasy story going multiplatform, thats a shame

JITB
07-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Microsoft is Reloading...

Until Sony online steps up.. it will still be #2.....

AlanŽ
07-16-2008, 12:37 AM
trying to get my hands on a mgs4 bundle pack right now.

ARH1192
07-16-2008, 06:21 AM
I have both systems.. so I can careless about a price drop.. but the ps3 isn't at the same level the 360 is on.

Lucky DAWG
07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I have both systems.. so I can careless about a price drop.. but the ps3 isn't at the same level the 360 is on.

you're right

the ps3 is higher.

BB6dohcvtec
07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
you're right

the ps3 is higher.

you sir are correct.

chhs_lax
07-16-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry but the ps3 as a system is far more capable than the 360. Sony just has smarter marketing, they didn't immediately flood the market with games. Just wait a year or two and see where both stand, 360's got no chance.

DemonEyez
07-16-2008, 10:43 PM
whilei agree the ps3 will def outlast the 360.. cus im a huge ps3 fan

but i do know that MS's plan isnt for the 360 to compete with the ps3 down the road, they have a much shorter life expectancy cycle and so in about 4 years their expecting a whole new system whereas the ps3 will still be in full cycle.

man
07-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Don't see how PS3 is competing. E3 is just a demo. Let the sales numbers do the talking, this article is just one journalists opinion.

AlanŽ
07-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Don't see how PS3 is competing. E3 is just a demo. Let the sales numbers do the talking, this article is just one journalists opinion.
Thing about it is and I said this a long time ago. The programmers are finally figuring out how to maximize on this system. I guarantee over the next year things are gonna pick up on the PS3 side. Especially now with MGS4 out.

DemonEyez
07-17-2008, 12:23 AM

well one problem unfortunately with people here in the states is that they think the numbers here mean everything.

while the US is a large market the world market is of course bigger.

and the xbox is tanking hard everywhere else which is why FFXIII is only getting a NA 360 release.. thats north america btw.

now ps3 sales in US compared to 360 were a bit behind, but take world wide numbers and the ps3 is ahead despite the one year advantage the 360 has.

So overall the ps3 is doing very very very well. in fact its selling faster in its initial 2 years than the 360 did in its first 2 years also numbers wise. but again stats can be used to make things look one way or the other.

Arm&hammer
07-17-2008, 12:24 AM
i need to get my hands on a ps3

81911SC
07-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Just wait a year or two and see where both stand, 360's got no chance.
You know the 360 has been out for much long right?

The12lber
07-17-2008, 01:00 AM
I've been hearing for over a year now that the PS3's time of wtf pwnage is just around the corner - unsurprisingly it has still yet to come, and it isn't on the horizon either. The problem is the exclusive titles still just aren't there. I could honestly care less because all I play is Call of Duty 4 which is multiplatform, but overall the Xbox is a much stronger offering when you consider its exclusive titles.

nreggie454
07-17-2008, 01:08 AM
well one problem unfortunately with people here in the states is that they think the numbers here mean everything.

while the US is a large market the world market is of course bigger.

and the xbox is tanking hard everywhere else which is why FFXIII is only getting a NA 360 release.. thats north america btw.

now ps3 sales in US compared to 360 were a bit behind, but take world wide numbers and the ps3 is ahead despite the one year advantage the 360 has.

So overall the ps3 is doing very very very well. in fact its selling faster in its initial 2 years than the 360 did in its first 2 years also numbers wise. but again stats can be used to make things look one way or the other.

Which is why Sony has made the huge profit of -$3,300,000,000 on the PS3 so far. They swung for the fences and made a great platform... about 3 years too early.

Lucky DAWG
07-17-2008, 02:42 AM
I've been hearing for over a year now that the PS3's time of wtf pwnage is just around the corner - unsurprisingly it has still yet to come, and it isn't on the horizon either. The problem is the exclusive titles still just aren't there. I could honestly care less because all I play is Call of Duty 4 which is multiplatform, but overall the Xbox is a much stronger offering when you consider its exclusive titles.

Heres the complete list of PS3 exclusives for you guys to see

150+ titles I believe. Here are the known titles below:

White Knight (2008 )
Infamous (2008 )
Eight Days (2008 or early 2009)
WarDevil (2008 )
Nobi Nobi Boy (2008 or early 2009)
Afrika (2008 )
L.A. Noir (2009)
Heavy Rain(2008 or 2009)
Final Fantasy versus 13 (2009)
God Of War 3 (2009)
Tekken 6 (2008 )
The Getaway 3 (2008 )
Resistance 2 (2008 )
Motorstorm 2 (2008 )
Final Fantasy 13 (2008 or early 2009 )
Metal Gear Online (2008 )
LittleBigPlanet (2008 )
Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008 )
Gran Turismo 5 (2008 )
Killzone 2 (2008 )
Disgaea 3 (2008 )
Kurayami (late 2008 or 2009 )
Naruto: PS3 Project (2008 )
Yakuza 3 (2008 )
Wipeout PS3 (2008 or 2009 )
The Agency (2008 )
DC Universe (2008 may slip to 2009 )
Everybody's Golf 5 (2008 )
Eyedentify (2008 )
Fifth Phantom Saga (2008 )
Free Realms (2008 )
Haze (2008 )
Star Ocean 4 (2008 )
Way of the Samurai 3 (2008 )
SOCOM: Confrontation (2008 )
I would also like to add that there are LOTS more exclusive titles which are either TBA or name unknown, games like Syphon Filter, Jak 4, ZOE3, Cellius games, Jaffe's new studio games, Rockstar's PS3 exclusives etc etc.

Looks like a lot of exclusives to me

The12lber
07-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Heres the complete list of PS3 exclusives for you guys to see

150+ titles I believe. Here are the known titles below:

White Knight (2008 )
Infamous (2008 )
Eight Days (2008 or early 2009)
WarDevil (2008 )
Nobi Nobi Boy (2008 or early 2009)
Afrika (2008 )
L.A. Noir (2009)
Heavy Rain(2008 or 2009)
Final Fantasy versus 13 (2009)
God Of War 3 (2009)
Tekken 6 (2008 )
The Getaway 3 (2008 )
Resistance 2 (2008 )
Motorstorm 2 (2008 )
Final Fantasy 13 (2008 or early 2009 )
Metal Gear Online (2008 )
LittleBigPlanet (2008 )
Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008 )
Gran Turismo 5 (2008 )
Killzone 2 (2008 )
Disgaea 3 (2008 )
Kurayami (late 2008 or 2009 )
Naruto: PS3 Project (2008 )
Yakuza 3 (2008 )
Wipeout PS3 (2008 or 2009 )
The Agency (2008 )
DC Universe (2008 may slip to 2009 )
Everybody's Golf 5 (2008 )
Eyedentify (2008 )
Fifth Phantom Saga (2008 )
Free Realms (2008 )
Haze (2008 )
Star Ocean 4 (2008 )
Way of the Samurai 3 (2008 )
SOCOM: Confrontation (2008 )
I would also like to add that there are LOTS more exclusive titles which are either TBA or name unknown, games like Syphon Filter, Jak 4, ZOE3, Cellius games, Jaffe's new studio games, Rockstar's PS3 exclusives etc etc.

Looks like a lot of exclusives to me

And those will all be pretty good, right? zzzz

The original Killzone blew and everyone knows it, Resistance was a very average title. So why's everyone getting such a big **** over these two in particular? etc etc You don't really prove much by just dropping a list for the "WHOA THAT'S BIG" factor, especially when the Xbox exclusive list is just as long.

Bottom line, its what's on the list, not how long it is.

Logical fallacies abound.

Clegger
07-17-2008, 03:54 AM
I dunno if you guys like mmo's but SOE is going to pwn the next 2 years

Vanguard (already out, and is better than AoC)
DCUO just announced
The Agency in the making (FPS MMO)
Free Realms in the making (Kids-Teen MMO)

Deke
07-17-2008, 04:04 AM
meh, I've got a 360 and I'm more than happy with it. I'm glad that playstation is finally stepping up, but it's going to change nothing in my life. Besides, as someone earlier said, PS has a much longer run time than that xbox. There will be another xbox system out long before ps3. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I'm not sure.

As for the whole exclusive title thing, God of War is just about the only one I wish xbox had, so I think I'll manage.

JR VQ 30 de
07-17-2008, 10:22 AM
taken 6 holly **** im buying as soon as it comes out

VQ35 Star
07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I've used both systems and I like the 360 much better, except I wish the 360 had those awsome controllers that the ps3 has :/

ISAtlanta300
07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
And those will all be pretty good, right? zzzz

The original Killzone blew and everyone knows it, Resistance was a very average title. So why's everyone getting such a big **** over these two in particular? etc etc You don't really prove much by just dropping a list for the "WHOA THAT'S BIG" factor, especially when the Xbox exclusive list is just as long.

Bottom line, its what's on the list, not how long it is.

Logical fallacies abound.

So why don't you start listing XBox 360 titles that are OH SO GOOD??

Let me guess the first one... Halo right? Pffftt....

How can you call resistance a 'very average' title? Resistance 2 is one of the most anticipated games this year, and some say destined to maybe even be game of the year.....

blacknightteg
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
none of those titles on that list you gave even spark my interest. the only ones that may are mgs4 tekken and ff thats all. all the 147 titles dont spark my wanting to get a ps3 at all

Lucky DAWG
07-17-2008, 12:13 PM
none of those titles on that list you gave even spark my interest. the only ones that may are mgs4 tekken and ff thats all. all the 147 titles dont spark my wanting to get a ps3 at all

i mean thats fine

its got a very good list of a lot of very good games, some that stay true to a lot of old titles and genres that a lot of gamers like.

If you want to a bunch of crapshoot FPS games then stick with the 360, because all they put out there is a bunch of garbage that looks fancy on a store shelf.

ARH1192
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
i mean thats fine

its got a very good list of a lot of very good games, some that stay true to a lot of old titles and genres that a lot of gamers like.

If you want to a bunch of crapshoot FPS games then stick with the 360, because all they put out there is a bunch of garbage that looks fancy on a store shelf.

you are just being a PS3 nut swinger. The PS3 is a great system. but they dont have any games out that make people go WOW I GOT TO GET THAT!

Like I've said before I own both systems. yet I've NEVER played a game on the ps3, I've only used it for blu-ray. All the games that I like are for both systems and take I like xbl waay better then psn so I buy the games for the 360.

Most games made for both platforms look the same. later down the road there might be better graphics and what not on the PS3 not right now. So for now I will continue to buy 360 games over PS3.

Lucky DAWG
07-17-2008, 12:38 PM
you are just being a PS3 nut swinger. The PS3 is a great system. but they dont have any games out that make people go WOW I GOT TO GET THAT!

Like I've said before I own both systems. yet I've NEVER played a game on the ps3, I've only used it for blu-ray. All the games that I like are for both systems and take I like xbl waay better then psn so I buy the games for the 360.

Most games made for both platforms look the same. later down the road there might be better graphics and what not on the PS3 not right now. So for now I will continue to buy 360 games over PS3.

not a nut swinger at all.

I don't own either of the systems, i have owned all 3 at some point and sold them; so i don't have a bias there is nothing in this convo for me to win from.

Sony just seems a lot more dedicated to making a good product when it comes to the whole thing with free online, good upcoming games, and the best hardware rather then Xbox who just seems like they will crapshoot stuff out for a buck.

If you've played both and truely like XBox then that is your call, you aren't wrong thats just my opinion on it. I plan on buying a PS3 in august most likely

AlanŽ
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Personally I think that both systems are lacking in the WOW I GOTTA GET THAT DEPARTMENT! XBOX doesn't really have anything coming in the near future that is worth while.

Sony however at least has MGS and Soccom.

DemonEyez
07-17-2008, 05:49 PM
yeah resistance being average?

i enjoyed that game alot, more so than gears or halo 3. So sorry thats YOUR opinion and this is MINE.

but in the end, its preference so people can really stop bitching. I prefer the ps3 and the games it has. there is no gameon the xbo 360 that makes me want to get it just yet. And there are people with the 360 who say the same about the ps3. guess what. were all individuals and we all have different tastes and luckily we have a choice. be glad of that and anyone who disagrees with this can **** off

The12lber
07-17-2008, 07:36 PM
yeah resistance being average?

i enjoyed that game alot, more so than gears or halo 3. So sorry thats YOUR opinion and this is MINE.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928399.asp?q=resistance

Apparently, an aggregate of critical opinion is (gasp) that it was good but unremarkable.

As a side note, Call of Duty 4 is so far beyond all of those titles it couldn't possibly matter less.

egb18c5
07-17-2008, 11:00 PM
lol, fools sum of you people kno nothing!

AlanŽ
07-17-2008, 11:17 PM
then enlighten us all knowing noob

egb18c5
07-17-2008, 11:32 PM

The12lber
07-18-2008, 01:51 AM
knowledge is power so why would i share it with other? i kno what i need to kno and sum of you kno nothing about the gaming industry, lets leave it at that...
Congratulations on creating an account on an internet forum and immediately following that defeating the purpose for creating said account.

Lucky DAWG
07-18-2008, 02:50 AM
knowledge is power so why would i share it with other? i kno what i need to kno and sum of you kno nothing about the gaming industry, lets leave it at that...

I agreed with said argument against 12lber about resistance being good until that.

1. your grammar wasn't even tolerable

2. it made close to no sense, i salvaged something from it.

3. You know the ins and outs of the gaming industry, is this in any relation to your ***** claiming skills?

ARH1192
07-18-2008, 07:58 AM
I agree in the end its personal preference. But Really I don't care which one is the better system. I just feel that the 360 has more to offer now. But I DO think the PS3 will have more to offer LATER!

ARH1192
07-18-2008, 08:03 AM

Good job buddy! Me like most people game as a hobby not as a lifestyle. So you my friend should get a life unless you are one of the very very few making 6 digits or more being a professional gamer.

bigdare23
07-18-2008, 08:31 AM
This is a worthless thread. Seriously, who really gives a **** which system is going to out sell the other, or which system is "better"? I can careless. Sony or Mircosoft isn't putting food on my table so ****'em. Use YOUR money and buy what the **** YOU want to buy.