PDA

View Full Version : Rice found guilty in murder trial...

Vayda
07-15-2008, 12:12 PM
This case is on my mind since I was nearly picked for the jury. Now that he's been found guilty, I'm curious, what punishment would you guys hand down? (edit: poll's up now)

Rice guilty in murder of Cobb mother, son
Jury to hear testimony in penalty phase

By YOLANDA RODRIGUEZ ([email protected])
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/14/08 Jurors in the death penalty trial of Lawrence Rice will begin to hear testimony in the sentencing phase of the case on Tuesday.

The jurors found Rice, of Tucker, guilty Monday morning of two counts each of murder and felony murder and one count of burglary in the April 2003 deaths of an east Cobb mother and her son.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/01/55/95/image_7295551.jpg

Jurors will be sequestered until they reach a decision on the sentence.

They will have three options for Rice's sentencing: life in prison with the possibility of parole; life without the possibility of parole; or death by lethal injection, prosecutor Henry Thompson said in opening statements Monday afternoon.

Connie Mincher and her 14-year-old son, Ethan, were beaten to death in their home on April 17, 2003.

Marlee Mincher, who was 12 at the time, testified last week that she found her mother and brother when she came home from school that day.

"Ethan was on the floor face down. A rug over his head," the teenager testified.

Later, she found her mother in a bedroom, with her hands wrapped in duct tape behind her back. Her head was wrapped in blankets.

There was blood everywhere.

Thompson told jurors they will hear victim impact statements from the Minchers' friends and family. Among the evidence they will also be asked to consider is last week's testimony of Cobb Medical Examiner Brian Frist and autopsy photographs.

Connie Mincher was beaten to badly that her skull caved in, Thompson reminded jurors. Her teenage son was also beaten badly, he said.

In the end, Thompson told jurors, prosecutors will ask that Rice be sentenced to death.

Defense attorney Angela Moore-Brown told jurors they respected their guilty verdicts.

She said defense lawyers will present evidence that Rice, up until his arrest had never been in trouble with the law. They will also hear evidence of Rice's mental disorder.

Arriving at the guilty verdict was difficult, she told them. In the sentencing phase "you have to make an even harder decision," she said. "What is the right sentence for Lawrence Rice?"

Moore-Brown urged them to keep an open mind.

"If you hear nothing else, you can consider in your own heart, your own mercy, your own decision," she said. "....We will ask you to save the life of Lawrence Rice."

Ran
07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Death Penalty FTW

Echonova
07-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Death. Eye for an Eye may not be right, but it makes you feels better.

Vayda
07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Only reason I say life without parole is because there was no physical evidence placing him at the crime scene. He admitted being there but said they were alive when he left. The only eyewitness originally said she saw him leave the house BEFORE the son came home. A murder weapon was never found.

Plus, I was there in the courtroom with the defense attorneys, and they seemed like they were expecting a guilty verdict from the get-go and didn't have a huge defense prepared.

Ran
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Only reason I say life without parole is because there was no physical evidence placing him at the crime scene. He admitted being there but said they were alive when he left. The only eyewitness originally said she saw him leave the house BEFORE the son came home. A murder weapon was never found.If that's the case, then it seems like he should be found innocent due to a lack of evidence. Of course, I'm sure that there's a lot I don't know concerning the case.

Vayda
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
He had like a 200 page document that detailed how much he hated the family and how he was gonna murder them, a map with their neighborhood circled on it in his car, and he'd placed the curse of ackbar on them. So...there was a lot of evidence against him...

it's a good thing I wasn't on the jury, because we'd still be debating whether or not the lack of physical evidence was reasonable doubt.

DieselNuts
07-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Only reason I say life without parole is because there was no physical evidence placing him at the crime scene. He admitted being there but said they were alive when he left. The only eyewitness originally said she saw him leave the house BEFORE the son came home. A murder weapon was never found.

Plus, I was there in the courtroom with the defense attorneys, and they seemed like they were expecting a guilty verdict from the get-go and didn't have a huge defense prepared.
fuk that. He was there, beat the shiit out of them and then left them for dead. He taped the womans arms behind her back and the son was knocked the fuk out, face down with a rug over his head. If they werent moving when he left, chances are they were dead already, or at least close.....

not to mention, "he admitted being there but said they were alive when he left". Are you really going to believe what that a$$hole has to say after beating a woman and 14yr old boy?

I say he deserves something more painfull than leathel injection...

carbon_crash
07-15-2008, 12:24 PM
He will probably get life with parol and get out in 10-15years. I say kill them the way they killed others.

DieselNuts
07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
He had like a 200 page document that detailed how much he hated the family and how he was gonna murder them, a map with their neighborhood circled on it in his car, and he'd placed the curse of ackbar on them. So...there was a lot of evidence against him...

it's a good thing I wasn't on the jury, because we'd still be debating whether or not the lack of physical evidence was reasonable doubt.
yeah, good thing you werent on the jury. if he admitted it and you are hung up on physical evidence, you should be slapped.

Ran
07-15-2008, 12:26 PM
He had like a 200 page document that detailed how much he hated the family and how he was gonna murder them, a map with their neighborhood circled on it in his car, and he'd placed the curse of ackbar on them. So...there was a lot of evidence against him...In all honesty, that shouldn't really matter. I could have papers or whatever about how much I hate someone but that doesn't make me guilty of killing them.

Vayda
07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
The document didn't say he HAD murdered them, and he never admitted he did. He said he was GOING to. I mean, intentions don't always pan out, you know?

Meh. If i were 100% sure he did it, then the answer is kill him. And i'm like 99% sure. But you can't kill someone for less than absolute positivity.

DieselNuts
07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
In all honesty, that shouldn't really matter. I could have papers or whatever about how much I hate someone but that doesn't make me guilty of killing them.
true, but if you did all the things that he did to the family, then you had all the intentions of killing them.

Ran
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
true, but if you did all the things that he did to the family, then you had all the intentions of killing them.Intent is not action.

Vayda
07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
^^ Exactly, ran. If we found a teenage asian girl tied spread eagle to a table and raped/beaten/tortured to death in a soundproof room, we couldn't just convict you of it because you said you'd do something along those lines...

Ran
07-15-2008, 12:35 PM
^^ Exactly, ran. If we found a teenage asian girl tied spread eagle to a table and raped/beaten/tortured to death in a soundproof room, we couldn't just convict you of it because you said you'd do something along those lines... :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

DieselNuts
07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Intent is not action.
so, if he wanted to kill them and had all these papers saying that he was gonna do it and he was seen leaving the house and then the people were found dead.....who did it?

Ran
07-15-2008, 12:42 PM
so, if he wanted to kill them and had all these papers saying that he was gonna do it and he was seen leaving the house and then the people were found dead.....who did it?Don't know, but all the evidence against him so far is circumstantial.

ShooterMcGavin
07-15-2008, 03:09 PM
kill the sumvabish, i don't wanna pay for his ass to get a cot and 3 square a day for the rest of his life :2up:

BKgen®
07-15-2008, 03:18 PM
lol u drive a hyundai.

what's this thread about again?

Vayda
07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
lols, i loves my hyundai.

They asked us in jury selection if we'd ever had a car that had been damaged and if the damage/repairs became an identifying factor. I mentioned my roommate's car (a black integra) got a new hood after he rear ended someone..and the hood was white :)

I don't think the lawyers liked me a whole lot.

RandomGuy
07-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Prior to the murders of Connie and Ethan Mincher, Twiggs said Rice also sent a Christmas card to the Mincher home with an angel depicted on the front. The eyes and skin were blacked out on the angel and inside the card was written "The curse of Akbar is on you and your family for one year," he said.

According to Cobb Police, Rice had lost his home, was about one week away from being evicted from his apartment and was living out of his gold 1980s Mercedes Benz when Cobb Police apprehended him one day after the murders.

Cobb Police said they found a map of the Minchers' Cobb County subdivision circled on it in Rice's glove compartment, along with a loaded gun and a four-foot long metal pipe in the car.

Tiff-O-Bitties
07-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Eye for an eye: 100%. I hate it that the poor child who found them will have to suffer those images for the rest of her life. Sorry piece of **** man needs to be slaughtered.

americanctm
07-15-2008, 07:30 PM
kill the fvcker