PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft pulley????

Killer
07-13-2008, 04:29 PM
maybe i'm just stupid/retarded... but i've taken everything apart that i possibly can... and i've read a ton of things online... but i can not take the efing crankshaft pulley off... it's the only thing i need to get off so i can get my timing cover off!!!

(for those that don't know.. i've got a 95 civic ex).. obviously if i try to loosen the bolt on the crankshaft it just TURNS THE WHOLE CRANKSHAFT!!!

the last car i had the timing belt cover was off so i didn't have to do all this extra work!!!

i've pulled up things on line and everything says to just "take the crankshaft pulley bolt off, then the crankshaft pulley"...

wtf am i missing?????? i gotta get this done tonight or i'm screwed... someone help me out for the love!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks as always!

Killer
07-13-2008, 04:42 PM
F!!!!!!!!! apparently i need a special tool to take the crank shaft pulley off... but you can't get them at stores.. gotta be ordered from honda.. or just online....

anyone know if there is any other option. or a place i can grab one tonight????

SPOOLIN
07-13-2008, 04:50 PM
does your pulley have 3 bolt holes on it around the pulley main bolt? if it does, they make a puller you can get from advance for 12-15$, works wonders. if you are having problems getting the bolt out then you gotta get the snap on tool that holds the thing from spinning so you get a fat friend to sit on the pry bar.

loSiRcity
07-13-2008, 05:15 PM
if its still in the car try puting it in gear and put the brake on. the engine won't turnover while you break it loose. if its out of the car you could use something to hold the flywheel from turning and that will hold it as well. your gonna need something with alot of leverage to break it lose. or you could try to find someone with an air compressor and air gun. that should do it

Killer
07-13-2008, 11:10 PM
bought the tool.... gotta wait til tuesday to get it...

:( no i don't have a car til then..

and my bike has aids too.... :(

thanks guys..

wrekonize
07-14-2008, 05:52 PM
maybe i'm just stupid/retarded... but i've taken everything apart that i possibly can... and i've read a ton of things online... but i can not take the efing crankshaft pulley off... it's the only thing i need to get off so i can get my timing cover off!!!

(for those that don't know.. i've got a 95 civic ex).. obviously if i try to loosen the bolt on the crankshaft it just TURNS THE WHOLE CRANKSHAFT!!!

the last car i had the timing belt was off so i didn't have to do all this extra work!!!

i've pulled up things on line and everything says to just "take the crankshaft pulley bolt off, then the crankshaft pulley"...

wtf am i missing?????? i gotta get this done tonight or i'm screwed... someone help me out for the love!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks as always!

make one of these they work great...

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36942152#post36942152

Killer
07-17-2008, 10:21 AM
i bought the tool... didn't work..

bought an impact gun.. that didn't work either..

Vteckidd
07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
its simple.

Is the timing belt still on? if it is then put a ratchet an socket on it, turn it over until its pinned against the ground, and bump the starter over. The force of the starter will break it loose.

if you got the timing belt off. go buy a torch for like $10, heat the **** out of the bolt (metal expands when hot) and use an impact gun.

Killer
07-17-2008, 10:40 AM
its simple.

Is the timing belt still on? if it is then put a ratchet an socket on it, turn it over until its pinned against the ground, and bump the starter over. The force of the starter will break it loose.

if you got the timing belt off. go buy a torch for like $10, heat the **** out of the bolt (metal expands when hot) and use an impact gun.

i may try the torch thing if i need to now... but i had already taken the head off.. so yeah the timing belt is off...

i ended up actually just cutting the efing timing cover off.... it's too much hassle to have there in the future if i need to work on the car so i wasn't gonna put it back on anyway...

now my only problem with the pulley is that it's just kinda in the way to get the new belt on and what not...

but how "hot" should i get the nut? i thought about doing this the other day.. but just wasn't sure about it...

khaxnguyen
07-17-2008, 10:43 AM
i may try the torch thing if i need to now... but i had already taken the head off.. so yeah the timing belt is off...

i ended up actually just cutting the efing timing cover off.... it's too much hassle to have there in the future if i need to work on the car so i wasn't gonna put it back on anyway...

now my only problem with the pulley is that it's just kinda in the way to get the new belt on and what not...

but how "hot" should i get the nut? i thought about doing this the other day.. but just wasn't sure about it...

burn it till it turns red or blue, and then quickly use the strongest impact or nearest fat guy to remove the bolt. if that dont work get a tractor impact =]

... those 1 inch drive impacts, those are pretty strong

Homer Simpson
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
yea, when I did my swap into my ej6, I had to take off the lower timing belt cover to replace the driver side "timing belt" mount. You need a tool call a "harmonic pulley dampener" couldn't rent it, so you know what I did? cut the sucker off and replacced it when I got my hands on that tool. lol!

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183172

Killer
07-17-2008, 10:56 AM
i bought this....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TMLWQ... and rigged it to stop the spinning of the pully.... worked great... cept i couldn't break it loose...

i had a guy 2 times my size.. strong as all get out try it.. wouldn't budge...

integra82786
07-17-2008, 05:45 PM
get a bigger breaker bar. lever and fulcrum, the longer the breaker bar the easier it will be to turn the bolt. have you tried soaking the nut with rust penitrant and let it sit for a while? other than that I don't know what to tell you, mine came off pretty easy.

csmiths
07-17-2008, 11:11 PM
yea when i was replaving my pullies, we couldnt get it off for anything, but like mr kidd said, just take out the fuel pump fuse and wedge the breaker bar on the ground and crank the motor. came off like a charm, and took about 5 sec compared to like 20 min of tryin our hardest. trust me it worked perfect.

redciv1
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
When I changed the waterpump on the H22 I bought the tool from Ebay and use a 1/2 wrench against the axle to stop the crank from turning and use a 18 inch extension along with jackstands for support. Did it twice. Wouldn't want to do it again but I did it though. :eek: