PDA

View Full Version : Misc 2x F1 World Champion Fernando Alonzo impressed by whoever this "Stig" guy is. LOL

EJ25RUN
07-12-2008, 03:25 PM
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/3025/main.jpg

Top Gear.com writes....

The Stig v F1

"Whoever's in that car is a seriously good driver," said Fernando Alonso pre-race at the British Grand Prix last weekend.

Alonso was watching a man being driven around in a two seat Santander grand prix car by a mysterious white-clad driver.

"I've no idea who he is, but he's definitely ex-F1," Alonso continued.

Who was he talking about? The Stig of course!

Those of you who were at Silverstone last weekend may have noticed the well-known tame racing driving lapping the circuit before the F1 cars went out to the grid.

The Stig had been bought in a Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital charity auction for the princely sum of £35,000, by a man who'd won £5million pounds on the lottery.

His 35 grand got him three laps in the back of the Santander grand prix car, driven by the Stig himself.

You'll know if you watched the race how wet it was, but the Stig threw off the challenge with a shrug.

Or at least he would have if he was prone to any physical expression what-so-ever, but as he's not he just got on with it.

No traction control, no driver aids and cold, hard Avon wet tyres.

The back even stepped out on him at one point, at 178mph, and he saved it.

But then what did you expect from a driver who even Alonso admires?

Sir Stiggington, we salute you.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/3025/images/1/large.jpg
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/3025/images/2/large.jpg

Alan®
07-12-2008, 04:06 PM
So who actually is the stig I know alonzo was it at one point.

EJ25RUN
07-12-2008, 04:10 PM
So who actually is the stig I know alonzo was it at one point.

What are you talking about? Alonzo was never the stig.

And to add too many rumors are around as almost every week some new guy is it.

The best rumor at the moment is that it is a number of guys. What if Lewis Hamilton dressed up in the suit as the stig and went out and did the lap?

But we will not now for sure.

nsany(atl)
07-12-2008, 04:12 PM
I think it's David Coultard

matthewAPM
07-12-2008, 04:15 PM
i think its dale earnhart, the INTIMIDATOR!!!!

but really, its could be a large number of people. Pretty much any ex F1 driver or a DTM driver (seems like everyone has driven a DTM in europe)

BTW, he has the same suit as me!

EJ25RUN
07-12-2008, 04:19 PM
i seriously think that it would not be any driver curretly active in any race series.

There is to much comitment in testing and race weekends to do something like that as a second job.

David Coulthard is #1 a current F1 driver even though he's retiring at the end of 2008 and he is also a business man as he holds a major share of the red bull F1 team. He has recently sold his multi million dollar hotel in Monaco but again, he's got to many other things to attend to and being the Stig is not one of them.

But if you meant he was the possible man driving that car at Silverstone, maybe. But only cause the GP circus was there that day.

Alan®
07-12-2008, 05:00 PM
What are you talking about? Alonzo was never the stig.

And to add too many rumors are around as almost every week some new guy is it.

The best rumor at the moment is that it is a number of guys. What if Lewis Hamilton dressed up in the suit as the stig and went out and did the lap?

But we will not now for sure.
well i've heard it was him, christian fitipaldi, etc.

southside
07-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Mario Andretti!

JITB
07-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Mario Andretti!

stig looks too skinny..to bee mario..

matthewAPM
07-12-2008, 08:04 PM
i dont mean current. but ex DTM. his driving style fits it well but then again everyone has there own so who knows

BKgen®
07-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I've heard at one time that the Stig was Tim Schrick... but i'm pretty sure that was ruled out. I've also heard what EJ25 said... that there are multiple Stigs.

nsany(atl)
07-12-2008, 11:00 PM
i seriously think that it would not be any driver curretly active in any race series.

There is to much comitment in testing and race weekends to do something like that as a second job.

David Coulthard is #1 a current F1 driver even though he's retiring at the end of 2008 and he is also a business man as he holds a major share of the red bull F1 team. He has recently sold his multi million dollar hotel in Monaco but again, he's got to many other things to attend to and being the Stig is not one of them.

But if you meant he was the possible man driving that car at Silverstone, maybe. But only cause the GP circus was there that day.

I only said that b/c it looks like his body type as tall as the guy in the pic is, and he was already there.

EJ25RUN
07-13-2008, 01:22 AM
I've heard at one time that the Stig was Tim Schrick... but i'm pretty sure that was ruled out. I've also heard what EJ25 said... that there are multiple Stigs.

yeah, Tims too short to be it.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/05/1211505640676ef1_450-op.jpg

Alan®
07-13-2008, 01:26 AM
oh my bald spot lol