PDA

View Full Version : Why not come to the race track?

matthewAPM
07-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Im just curious about this question. I know I have talked to people that are interested in trackdays but never see them out there. Whats your reason for not tracking/ autocrossing your car??

EDIT: for those that picked "dont know where to start/ signup" PM me

Thighs
07-11-2008, 11:42 PM
$$$$$$$ you know this is the case for me lol.

_Christian_
07-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't have anything worthy of tracking. I have a piss slow jetta right now. It wouldn't even be fun.

AlanŽ
07-11-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't have anything worthy of tracking. I have a piss slow jetta right now. It wouldn't even be fun.
Same here.3500~lbs 175whp~car that handles like a boat. I really want to sell this and get a 04 mazdaspeed miata but unfortunately since my dad gave me this car and i can't work during the year. I highly doubt it will happen in the near future

matthewAPM
07-11-2008, 11:50 PM

haha. that is not true at all. Once you get out there you will understand. you could drive a fit and have more fun then you would in the mountains

_Christian_
07-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Same here.3500~lbs 175whp~car that handles like a boat. I really want to sell this and get a 04 mazdaspeed miata but unfortunately since my dad gave me this car and i can't work during the year. I highly doubt it will happen in the near future
yeah, im like 3200lbs, 180hp. I thought about selling it and getting something fast. I decided i'm gonna just make the jetta look dank and treat myself to a bike.

haha. that is not true at all. Once you get out there you will understand. you could drive a fit and have more fun then you would in the mountains
I have autocrossed before. Trust me, it wouldn't be worth it in this car.

AlanŽ
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
yeah, im like 3200lbs 180hp. I thought about selling it and getting something fast. I decided i'm gonna just make the jetta look dank and treat myself to a bike.
yea well. I mean i really have thought about putting money into this car but here's the thing. because not that many people work on these things parts are expensive as all hell. For me to do a shock spring and camber kit setup on my car is like $200 less than a coilover setup. And then to get say 250whp out of this thing. I'm looking at anywhere between $3-8k. But I just don't see why I should do it. I really just don't.

This car is also a maintenance whore. When I got it last year it had 65k miles on it. Had the entire 60k mile service done before I flew out to VA Beach where my dad kept it. By the time I got it home, HALF the stuff that was done was busted. Had it all fixed when I got home by the dealer broke AGAIN within a month.

Current list of problems with the car:
Blown 02 sensor
Bad Idle Speed Motor
Leaking Transmission Mount

Also, I've had 2 engine mounts replaced in the last 3 weeks.

When I got it I was like man I'm gonna do something with this car and now i'm just like :no: . So all the money I get I usually just spend on my girl or on new toys for myself (Voyager, 360, PS3, etc.)

I really miss being in the scene because honestly it's a big part of my life and who I am and I'll get back in one day but for now I just sit on the sidelines go to meets and just chill.

redrumracer
07-12-2008, 12:03 AM
3 reasons

1. no roll bar
2. $$$ cost quite a bit.

EDIT: theres a 3rd also that i just thought about tires

_Christian_
07-12-2008, 12:15 AM
yea well. I mean i really have thought about putting money into this car but here's the thing. because not that many people work on these things parts are expensive as all hell. For me to do a shock spring and camber kit setup on my car is like $200 less than a coilover setup. And then to get say 250whp out of this thing. I'm looking at anywhere between $3-8k. But I just don't see why I should do it. I really just don't.

This car is also a maintenance whore. When I got it last year it had 65k miles on it. Had the entire 60k mile service done before I flew out to VA Beach where my dad kept it. By the time I got it home, HALF the stuff that was done was busted. Had it all fixed when I got home by the dealer broke AGAIN within a month.

Current list of problems with the car:
Blown 02 sensor
Bad Idle Speed Motor
Leaking Transmission Mount

Also, I've had 2 engine mounts replaced in the last 3 weeks.

When I got it I was like man I'm gonna do something with this car and now i'm just like :no: . So all the money I get I usually just spend on my girl or on new toys for myself (Voyager, 360, PS3, etc.)

I really miss being in the scene because honestly it's a big part of my life and who I am and I'll get back in one day but for now I just sit on the sidelines go to meets and just chill.
I'm in the same boat. I'm about to need a new timing chain and clutch.:no: I wanted to go VRT (turbo vr6), but I just don't feel like having a money pit over a reliable dd right now. That's why it makes so much sense to use that money to get a motorcycle instead. I can use that to get my jollies off.

matthewAPM
07-12-2008, 12:26 AM
3 reasons

1. no roll bar
2. $$$ cost quite a bit.

EDIT: theres a 3rd also that i just thought about tires

1.buy one used from krut when he gets one
2. join SCCA, work the weekend, PDX for $20
3. buy used race tires....VERY CHEAP

slostang
07-12-2008, 12:33 AM
SCCA AUTO-X FTMFW!!!

when I have the cash that it.

0p7!mu5
07-12-2008, 02:39 AM
I have no experience in launching so it would be a waste and its kinda hard to learn on the street. Also not quite sure where to start. I can get a car together and the money to go just havent found one other than commerce and like i said previous issues. Hell I'd drive my pos just to say i did it if i knew how to launch properly or burnout to heat the tires. Kinda sad i know but due to random mishaps with the cars i have owned never got around to learning and too embarassed to ask

JITB
07-12-2008, 04:09 AM
I will SOON! if i dont sell my gt..been wanting to for the longest..

redrumracer
07-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I have no experience in launching so it would be a waste and its kinda hard to learn on the street. Also not quite sure where to start. I can get a car together and the money to go just havent found one other than commerce and like i said previous issues. Hell I'd drive my pos just to say i did it if i knew how to launch properly or burnout to heat the tires. Kinda sad i know but due to random mishaps with the cars i have owned never got around to learning and too embarassed to ask
i believe he is referring to road racing

blackshine007
07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
The only thing I lack on my 626 is decent brakes. I was truely thinking of upgrading to the Mazda6 brake setup but right now financing is a big issue being that I have a newborn. My suspension is basicly where I want it. Nice and nuetral, it's a firm, not harsh ride. I have upgraded sway bars (front from a contour, rear from a newer 626), a hybrid suspension (Probe GT stock springs rear, Eibach lowering springs for Probe GT front) with gabriel ultra's. The car handled very flat with minimum roll and with 225 series tires, I have yet to hear them squeal in a corner, not that I've really been pushing them. It's nice having a family car that's fairly reasonable in weight (2800 lbs) so autoXing will probably be great for this car.

Batlground
07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm there all the time instructing

0p7!mu5
07-12-2008, 11:41 AM
i believe he is referring to road racing

well in that case... Not sure how to get started or where one is . I have wanted to get into that for a while actually since it takes more skill than drag imo.

DecoyOctopus
07-12-2008, 12:50 PM
i want to go but i hate the fact that you gotta pay a **** ton of money just to go dogg your own car out.

redrumracer
07-12-2008, 02:07 PM
also i dont drive in the mountains either.i just dont feel like falling off a cliff

JITB
07-12-2008, 02:08 PM
also i dont drive in the mountains either.i just dont feel like falling off a cliff

i hear falling isnt too bad... but hitting the ground is a *****! :lmfao: :lmfao:

EJ25RUN
07-12-2008, 02:13 PM
1. Money because i'll be moving out for school in the fall so i have to penny pinch.

2. Tires, 4 of mine new cost $850 at a discount.

3. Worry about the car, i'll never go 100% cause its my DD, but i'd rather have a toy that i can tow home an leave if i break something or worse: hit something.

4. Id rather save for a CBR600RR and track that but that wont be for a while cause of reason #1

cornercarver78
07-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Im just curious about this question. I know I have talked to people that are interested in trackdays but never see them out there. Whats your reason for not tracking/ autocrossing your car??

EDIT: for those that picked "dont know where to start/ signup" PM me

because auto x/ track days isn't real racing= not worth it.

IndianStig
07-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Money

EJ25RUN
07-12-2008, 02:35 PM

And explain your definition of real racing.

cornercarver78
07-12-2008, 02:41 PM
And explain your definition of real racing.

Motorcycle racing. Where everyone grids up, they wave the green, and you bump elbows going into turn 1. That's racing. But i was just being mean, i'd like to do a track day in a car if i had something fast/ the money.

IndianStig
07-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Motorcycle racing. Where everyone grids up, they wave the green, and you bump elbows going into turn 1. That's racing. But i was just being mean, i'd like to do a track day in a car if i had something fast/ the money.

okay so F1 racing is not real racing?

stfu n00b

redrumracer
07-12-2008, 02:48 PM
i hear falling isnt too bad... but hitting the ground is a *****! :lmfao: :lmfao:
yea your correct, its the impact with the ground that bothers me. or trees

IndianStig
07-12-2008, 02:59 PM
1.buy one used from krut when he gets one
2. join SCCA, work the weekend, PDX for $20
3. buy used race tires....VERY CHEAP

imma call you about this joing SCCA and PDX (WTF IS THAT) for 20$.

EJ25RUN
07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Motorcycle racing. Where everyone grids up, they wave the green, and you bump elbows going into turn 1.
But i was just being mean, i'd like to do a track day in a car if i had something fast/ the money.

Um.....Ok, bit of a waste of a comment there. You cant really compare bike racing to car racing but whatever.

Besides, touring car racing will prove you very wrong. I'll be watching WTCC from Estoril on Eurosport Tomarrow :yes:

matthewAPM
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM

watch a touring car race, it will change your mind...

imma call you about this joing SCCA and PDX (WTF IS THAT) for 20$.

PDX... Performance, Driving eXperience. its a SCCA trackday. Also look for events at little talladega. They are around $175 for a FULL day. You will run out of tires before the end...

Um.....Ok, bit of a waste of a comment there. You cant really compare bike racing to car racing but whatever.

Besides, touring car racing will prove you very wrong. I'll be watching WTCC from Estoril on Eurosport Tomarrow :yes:

+1.

WTCC FTW!!!!

NoRotor
07-12-2008, 08:50 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/dixond/RX7/dixon3.jpg
:D

Elbow
07-12-2008, 08:55 PM

And car racing isn't real racing bumping doors into turn one after being gridded? :???: :???:

I do stuff as much as money allows, but also do things that offer more of a career path racing wise.

slow_hatch
07-12-2008, 09:15 PM
MONEY!! or lack there of, lol. No matter what, whether it is for entry fees, gas, tires, breaking parts, not having another daily, taking off work, etc. This is harder for some people who have familes, full time jobs, and or going to college, etc. However whenever I have spare money, tracktime is high on the list of things too do :D

green91
07-13-2008, 12:28 PM
If i was 18 and lived at home and had a dead end or no job and a pos miata thats been totaled id be at every track event that was available.

Thighs
07-13-2008, 12:34 PM

you're a dumbass.

green91
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
youre *

Thighs
07-13-2008, 12:48 PM
fixed. lol thanks.

Elbow
07-13-2008, 01:19 PM
If i was 18 and lived at home and had a dead end or no job and a pos miata thats been totaled id be at every track event that was available.

:???:

green91
07-13-2008, 01:41 PM
:???:

orly

Thighs
07-13-2008, 03:15 PM

??

redrumracer
07-13-2008, 04:00 PM
so if you were 19 then you wouldnt do that??

EJ25RUN
07-13-2008, 04:33 PM
??

lol, i had SimmonTibbetts and your Miata spining in my head when i read that...Is that a bad thing?

green91
07-13-2008, 05:16 PM
so if you were 19 then you wouldnt do that??

hopefully i would have graduated to a sponsored f1 position by then.

Elbow
07-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Damn you are stupid ^

Elbow
07-13-2008, 05:25 PM
lol, i had SimmonTibbetts and your Miata spining in my head when i read that...Is that a bad thing?

When you read the question marks?

green91
07-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Damn you are stupid ^

you cant really think that i am serious.

blackshine007
07-13-2008, 06:55 PM
^^yes. The F1 team probably saw your driving and tried to have your licsense revoked.

mocha latte cupcake
07-13-2008, 07:01 PM
no time or money for it. sure it would be nice to get out and play like that but hey bills and other things are more important than honing my "cornering" besides i live on a curvy road, with traffic circles and hairpins... its a ghost road for the taking. and as much as i'd like to get out to road courses and what not i just can't see myself doing auto crossing.. sure its fun but eh not a huge fun factor for me, dodging cones...i did a ride along with an instructor once.. if i got "out of hand" he would correct me with a brake pull... i slid nicely, missed my clipping point by a hair would have taken out only 1 cone and finished the corner/slide... but NOPE! he yanked the brake sending me @ light speeds into about 50 cones... screwing up the course for a while.

green91
07-13-2008, 07:07 PM
^^yes. The F1 team probably saw your driving and tried to have your licsense revoked.

:screwy:

funny guy

Elbow
07-13-2008, 08:51 PM
no time or money for it. sure it would be nice to get out and play like that but hey bills and other things are more important than honing my "cornering" besides i live on a curvy road, with traffic circles and hairpins... its a ghost road for the taking. and as much as i'd like to get out to road courses and what not i just can't see myself doing auto crossing.. sure its fun but eh not a huge fun factor for me, dodging cones...i did a ride along with an instructor once.. if i got "out of hand" he would correct me with a brake pull... i slid nicely, missed my clipping point by a hair would have taken out only 1 cone and finished the corner/slide... but NOPE! he yanked the brake sending me @ light speeds into about 50 cones... screwing up the course for a while.

Road racing > Track days < Autocross

Green91 no I don't think you are serious

Georgia_boy
07-13-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm at just about every SCCA event I can make it to. I love it, i'm gettin everything ready for next year.

redrumracer
07-13-2008, 10:34 PM
hopefully i would have graduated to a sponsored f1 position by then.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL id hope to do that by 18 lololololololololol

redrumracer
07-13-2008, 10:36 PM
hell you can just go down to hutchinson island and play around

Prime.
07-13-2008, 10:36 PM

just kinda made you sound like a douche... lol

how did you know my car's been totaled and rebuilt?

Thighs
07-13-2008, 10:43 PM
^^^^ thats supposed to be me.... lol

dont ask...

87 Turbo II
07-14-2008, 02:18 AM
stock 25 year old suspension and 185 tires (getting 205s then maybe suspension within the year) after that is done, I don't know where to start/sine up. Until then I autoX when I can.

Thighs
07-14-2008, 09:36 AM
ive decided that im gonna go to the next autocross event. not this weekend but whatever one is after that im gonna drive in.

now to make my car pass tech... :(

matthewAPM
07-14-2008, 12:54 PM
ive decided that im gonna go to the next autocross event. not this weekend but whatever one is after that im gonna drive in.

now to make my car pass tech... :(

your car will pass tech no problem..

Mike Lowrey
07-17-2008, 01:48 PM
I do go to the track. Get off my back already! LOL

matthewAPM
07-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I do go to the track. Get off my back already! LOL

i wish i could do them in a elise...

RWD164
07-18-2008, 12:25 AM
For anyone who is uncertain about road racing, just do a couple of track touring laps around Road Atlanta on a race weekend, and you will be hooked. My first laps of Road Atlanta were in a 1994 Volvo 940, they were a blast.

matthewAPM
07-18-2008, 12:29 AM
For anyone who is uncertain about road racing, just do a couple of track touring laps around Road Atlanta on a race weekend, and you will be hooked. My first laps of Road Atlanta were in a 1994 Volvo 940, they were a blast.

hell yeah man. you could do laps in a fit and have fun

Mike Lowrey
07-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah, its not about what car you are running. Its about how you can control your car. I had autocrossed for several years, and nothing has helped me more on the track or on the road. Learning YOUR car and how it handles and reacts is critical.

matthewAPM
07-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah, its not about what car you are running. Its about how you can control your car. I had autocrossed for several years, and nothing has helped me more on the track or on the road. Learning YOUR car and how it handles and reacts is critical.

Yep. I tell everyone that. People say "its just a bunch of cones". You will learn more in one autocross event then you would at 5 trackdays.

I've instructed in a elise before. Great car. But cant wait to drive the exige this weekend. :goodjob:

Batlground
07-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Yep. I tell everyone that. People say "its just a bunch of cones". You will learn more in one autocross event then you would at 5 trackdays.

I've instructed in a elise before. Great car. But cant wait to drive the exige this weekend. :goodjob:

100% NOT TRUE

Thats one of those things autox people tell each other so that they feel cool. Ill put my car control up against any of the Atlanta Regions best autox drivers.

AutoX is the most boring thing I have ever done in a car.

Autox is twice as gay as drifting...

Matt

Mike Lowrey
07-18-2008, 04:34 PM
100% NOT TRUE

Thats one of those things autox people tell each other so that they feel cool. Ill put my car control up against any of the Atlanta Regions best autox drivers.

AutoX is the most boring thing I have ever done in a car.

Autox is twice as gay as drifting...

Matt

Keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:

Why don't you put your "car control skills" up against the best autox'ers....at Nationals. Put up a top finish, then you can come in here and telk ****. Until then, peddle the BS elsewhere.

StraightSix
07-19-2008, 01:48 AM
You will learn more in one autocross event then you would at 5 trackdays.

I respectfully disagree with that, however, I do agree that autocross can teach a lot about car control.

The biggest issue is that the seat time at an autocross is too short for it to be meaningful in a single event. Whereas, the seat time at most track events is longer giving the student more time to focus on technique. It typically takes quite a few autocross events for most newbs to start getting some of the basic techniques.

As an example, I have done maybe a dozen or so autocrosses in the past three years, and have yet to master some of the technique. I still struggle somewhat with threshold braking.

The point is that what most people usually find out in one autocross is that he/she needs to learn much more about car control than what was known prior to the event.

OneSlow5pt0
07-19-2008, 11:42 AM
id like to,but not to sure how a automatic would handle autox

slow_hatch
07-19-2008, 12:05 PM

:rolleyes: 1 AutoX event = 3min seat time. Track day = 2hrs track time. Not to mention your actually getting up to higher speeds closely related to actual road speeds.

Why don't you put your "car control skills" up against the best autox'ers....at Nationals. Put up a top finish, then you can come in here and telk ****. Until then, peddle the BS elsewhere.

But at the end of the day you were still drving around a parking lot barely getting into 3rd gear. Its just a substitution for a REAL race track.

redrumracer
07-19-2008, 02:44 PM
id like to,but not to sure how a automatic would handle autox
it would be fine just dont put it in od.

yudalicious
07-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I learned way more in my first session at my first ever track day than I did the whole day at my first scca autoX... everything happened way too fast and of course, having 4 runs that total less than 4 minutes in a day also makes it hard to learn. Another thing I noticed was that DEs tend to be more beginner friendly, some organizers really go out of their way to make sure you are having fun and learning if it's your first time... and I actually think while autcrosses have lower one time cost, in the long run $/time spent driving wise, DEs win.... of course ymmv

I've heard of independent clubs hosting autoXs where you can get much more than just 4 runs in, but I've yet to find one here...

Don't take it as a knock against autocrossers, it's not, just my personal opinion.

Mike Lowrey
07-19-2008, 03:20 PM
:rolleyes: 1 AutoX event = 3min seat time. Track day = 2hrs track time. Not to mention your actually getting up to higher speeds closely related to actual road speeds.

But at the end of the day you were still drving around a parking lot barely getting into 3rd gear. Its just a substitution for a REAL race track.

Since when can you not learn car control skills in 3rd gear or less? That is just stupid.

AutoX:
Yes, you are doing lower speeds, but the sweepers, offsets, slaloms are coming at you faster. Looking ahead, setting up the car quickly come into play more than a typical track day. Why? Because an autox course is very compressed. You don't have that long straight to setup the car for the next corner, you have to do it immediately off the last corner. Small mistakes show up more in an autox.

I enjoy track days and autox. Lately I have been doing more track days than anything, but nobody can say that autox's are "useless", "gay", etc. That is a general statement and it is just a stupid comment.

Mike Lowrey
07-19-2008, 03:27 PM
I respectfully disagree with that, however, I do agree that autocross can teach a lot about car control.

The biggest issue is that the seat time at an autocross is too short for it to be meaningful in a single event. Whereas, the seat time at most track events is longer giving the student more time to focus on technique. It typically takes quite a few autocross events for most newbs to start getting some of the basic techniques.

As an example, I have done maybe a dozen or so autocrosses in the past three years, and have yet to master some of the technique. I still struggle somewhat with threshold braking.

The point is that what most people usually find out in one autocross is that he/she needs to learn much more about car control than what was known prior to the event.

I agree, his math is off...lol

One is not better than the other. Alot can be learned from each. The critical item is to have good instruction at either of the events. The problem with most local autox groups is that there is not enough instruction. I was involved in a local group in Jacksonville, FL (Buccaneer region), where there were 5-7 Multi-National Champions at any given autox. I also attended the McKamey autox school years ago. With the proper instruction, an autox event can be extremely helpful for honing your car control skills.

BlkCD5
07-20-2008, 02:59 PM
I"ll go when i get everything mechanical up to par.

Elbow
07-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Autocross is not that easy to win. To the guy saying he is a bad ass at it, go on out and prove your mad tyght driving technique lol. I think doing autocross helps with road racing. Teaches looking ahead and stuff, small techniques that help. I don't really want to go into it, I know I am 10x faster on a road course then autocross and have been driving autocross since I was 15. It's a different type of driving, but can be related.

matthewAPM
07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Batlground, Come to the next autocross event, im sure you will beat me. I mean im just a dumb 18 year old kid. How could you lose?

Elbow
07-22-2008, 04:14 PM
^True, he is slow, always runs slowest times of the day.

Cool Cat Racing
07-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Come on down to a Mid GA region event. We usually run 8 runs, bring whatever you want and you probably won't take TOD. The year I was running my miata I took TOD nearly every race and ran a few national tour events as well. Not to say I'm fast, I wasn't last at the NT events but I was far from the top. We've got a few guys that run pretty fast now that normally handle the TOD. I firmly believe each form has its merits. If you have no idea what you're doing then you do not need to learn at 80+mph. I ran faster than that at many of the NT events, I regularly topped out third in some of the straights and slight sweepers. Autocross provides a place for people who don't know how to control their car to learn without hitting anything. If you can autocross well then you will be much better on a road course but not necessarily the other way around. The dynamics are different and what you learn depends on your skill and your instruction. Its hard to learn at an autocross if you're only spending a few minutes per day running. I've done my time autocrossing and its fun but nothing like real track time. Either way the first thing you will learn when you venture into either is how little you really know. If you've never run an autocross or a track day you are not near as good at car control or racing as you think you are. As for running a slow car, I run my saturn all the time with NASA and its a stock motor and stock suspension. If you're using the fact you have a slow car as an excuse you need to find a better one. I've seen plenty of piss slow cars out there running. Hell one of the NASA workers rented an Aveo to run when his car wasn't ready. Not much is worse than that. lol

AnthonyF
07-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Im a straight line driver, well...I was kinda condemned that way due to having a car that couldnt handle (mustang). With my truck i want to AutoX it sooo bad! I've heard nothing but good things about how it can handle.

Both Events, track days and autox have there pros and cons. Obviously the big difference is the speed. I dont believe there is a BETTER of the 2. JUst attend both and BOOM, no argument. You've almost everything you need. :goodjob:

-Ant.

matthewAPM
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Come on down to a Mid GA region event. We usually run 8 runs, bring whatever you want and you probably won't take TOD. The year I was running my miata I took TOD nearly every race and ran a few national tour events as well. Not to say I'm fast, I wasn't last at the NT events but I was far from the top. We've got a few guys that run pretty fast now that normally handle the TOD. I firmly believe each form has its merits. If you have no idea what you're doing then you do not need to learn at 80+mph. I ran faster than that at many of the NT events, I regularly topped out third in some of the straights and slight sweepers. Autocross provides a place for people who don't know how to control their car to learn without hitting anything. If you can autocross well then you will be much better on a road course but not necessarily the other way around. The dynamics are different and what you learn depends on your skill and your instruction. Its hard to learn at an autocross if you're only spending a few minutes per day running. I've done my time autocrossing and its fun but nothing like real track time. Either way the first thing you will learn when you venture into either is how little you really know. If you've never run an autocross or a track day you are not near as good at car control or racing as you think you are. As for running a slow car, I run my saturn all the time with NASA and its a stock motor and stock suspension. If you're using the fact you have a slow car as an excuse you need to find a better one. I've seen plenty of piss slow cars out there running. Hell one of the NASA workers rented an Aveo to run when his car wasn't ready. Not much is worse than that. lol

What class you run in with your miata? I ran CSP in the atlanta region. Really missed the car. Sold it and bought a full built STS civic...

Very true about autocross --> road racing. You learn quick reactions to changes in the car which help a TON on the track when everything is at a "slower" pace

DieselNuts
07-22-2008, 07:33 PM
shiits expensive man. In a good track day you can tear up a set of tires pretty damn good and def. go through a set of brake pads. I would love to go, but those parts on top of the price of admission is too rich for my blood...

matthewAPM
07-22-2008, 08:04 PM
shiits expensive man. In a good track day you can tear up a set of tires pretty damn good and def. go through a set of brake pads. I would love to go, but those parts on top of the price of admission is too rich for my blood...

used race tires FREE- $250
brakes pads- $80-$200 (will last a full year + of trackdays)
entry fee- $FREE- $450

HiPSI
07-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Im a straight line driver, well...I was kinda condemned that way due to having a car that couldnt handle (mustang). With my truck i want to AutoX it sooo bad! I've heard nothing but good things about how it can handle.

Both Events, track days and autox have there pros and cons. Obviously the big difference is the speed. I dont believe there is a BETTER of the 2. JUst attend both and BOOM, no argument. You've almost everything you need. :goodjob:

-Ant.

mustangs can't handle? but a tacoma does?

you just turned my world upside down.

StraightSix
07-22-2008, 09:59 PM

A lot of the costs involved change depending on what car you bring to the event and what track you go to. It is very possible to do track events without spending a crap load.

As an example, I got into NASA through their work for credit program where a person works two events and can drive one at no charge (for the entry fee).

I have yet to go through a set of brake pads in a single event, nor a set of tires in a single event. I think the biggest misconception about track days is that one has to have some uber prepared car and it just isn't true. I track my car on street pads, street tires, and a stock suspension. I'm definitely not fast, but I have fun. Having a track pad, R-comps and some suspension would certainly help get my car faster, but that stuff just isn't in the cards.

StraightSix
07-22-2008, 10:03 PM
mustangs can't handle? but a tacoma does?

you just turned my world upside down.

Mustangs don't handle all that well stock. Generally, the fast ones have a lot of aftermarket suspension bits thrown at them before they turn well.

The Tacoma on the other hand has a much better suspension design. I'm not sure about the latest models, but the older ones had upper and lower A-arms in the front and a live axle rear. That front suspension design is much better than late model Mustangs.

HiPSI
07-23-2008, 05:24 AM
Mustangs don't handle all that well stock. Generally, the fast ones have a lot of aftermarket suspension bits thrown at them before they turn well.

The Tacoma on the other hand has a much better suspension design. I'm not sure about the latest models, but the older ones had upper and lower A-arms in the front and a live axle rear. That front suspension design is much better than late model Mustangs.

the few trackdays i've been to had several mustangs out there with mild to moderate suspension work. they had no problems getting around the track.

tacomas don't handle well stock either ;). even the fancy lowered one is more for looks than anything.

green91
07-23-2008, 06:55 AM
tacomas don't handle well stock either ;). even the fancy lowered one is more for looks than anything.

do a little research, you may be surprised :)

Mike Lowrey
07-23-2008, 07:56 AM
do a little research, you may be surprised :)

x2

The Toyota Tacoma X-Runner is a different animal than the regular Tacoma.

Cool Cat Racing
07-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I ran my miata in XP but it was not much more than a lightly prepped CSP car with a JRSC. I still had lots more I could do to it just to run well in CSP but the SC bumped me to SM2 and I had the FM underbrace which put me in XP, otherwise it was just a little suspension and brakes. I like to run in higher classes so I don't have to worry about what I do to the car. I autox for fun and development so my class doesn't matter to me. I don't like people complaining about some mod just because of some gray area in the rules. I loved the car on both autox and on a road course. I could keep up with most of the NA elises that would come out because most of the owners don't yet know how to drive one. Once Tripper put the SC on his I couldn't keep up anymore. I sold it and got another bike and I've been doing more on track on 2 wheels and focusing on my development of the other race cars in our group. As for tearing things up at a track day. My Miata would usually run 3-4 events on a set of HP+ Hawk front pads and the rears would last the full year. My BFG street tires lasted 3 events and didn't show much wear when I got a different set of rims for some A048's and only ran the BFG's on the street. Even the A048's would last 5-6 full weekends with some street driving in between. My saturn I run from time to time is completely stock except for a set of General UHP tires and I flog it like a thief in Singapore and it still drives my gear, me, and my friends home every time. All the excuses I hear each time for not going to the track are from those who have never been. Yes you risk crashing your car but if you're remotely smart about it you won't have a problem. The entry fee isn't that much when you look at what some other weekends of fun can cost.

AirMax95
07-23-2008, 08:32 AM
$$$$ are my on only issue.

matthewAPM
07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
You can get a set of hawk blues to last a full season (NOT FOR STREET!!!) and a set of tires to last 3-5+ events. Work an SCCA weekend. The PDX entry fee is $50 but when you work you get paid $80. So its like getting paid $30 dollars to track your car...cant beat that

civic95
08-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Matt is right. You can do a trackday at TGP for $180. That's cheaper than the speeding ticket you'll get in the mountains, and you don't have to worry about losing your license. You don't need a roll bar. It's safer than the mountains. There's lots of run off room, there's no bicycles, there's no motorcycles, there's no gravel to hit, and there is no trees to hit. It is a blast no matter if your car has 125HP or 500HP, wether you have street tires, or race tires.

slow_hatch
08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Matt is right. You can do a trackday at TGP for $180. That's cheaper than the speeding ticket you'll get in the mountains, and you don't have to worry about losing your license. You don't need a roll bar. It's safer than the mountains. There's lots of run off room, there's no bicycles, there's no motorcycles, there's no gravel to hit, and there is no trees to hit. It is a blast no matter if your car has 125HP or 500HP, wether you have street tires, or race tires.

Although if my car breaks while at the track in AL, the tow bill is going to be crazy. If it breaks in the mtns, I just coast back home :D

civic95
08-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Although if my car breaks while at the track in AL, the tow bill is going to be crazy. If it breaks in the mtns, I just coast back home :D

I try not to think about that. lol

What happened to your trailer?

slow_hatch
08-09-2008, 08:48 AM
I try not to think about that. lol

What happened to your trailer?

I borrowed it last time, and can borrow it again. However Diesel is still expensive :(

civic95
08-09-2008, 11:16 AM
However Diesel is still expensive :(

Yeah would probably cost as much as the trackday.

slow_hatch
08-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah would probably cost as much as the trackday.

actually more :( I'll be back soon though, i have a few issues with the civic to fix first before I can even contemplate heading that way again.

Atlblkz06
08-28-2008, 12:50 PM
I cant afford the tires+brakes+ gas.

It'd work out to somehting like $40/track mile. :eek:

matthewAPM
08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I cant afford the tires+brakes+ gas.

It'd work out to somehting like $40/track mile. :eek:

?? uhh not even half that

eraser4g63
08-28-2008, 07:04 PM
i want to but no one has any real answers, and the forums dedicated to answering the questions i have is like talking to a 3 year old with down syndrome.

Elbow
08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
i want to but no one has any real answers, and the forums dedicated to answering the questions i have is like talking to a 3 year old with down syndrome.

PM me, I can answer any of your questions without feeling like you are talking to a 3 year old with down syndrome.

KREEP
08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I need a car I can take! Matt sell me yours for 6k LOL

matthewAPM
08-28-2008, 07:58 PM
I need a car I can take! Matt sell me yours for 6k LOL

buy it for $6600...PM me about it...

NewGen33
09-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Age and money are my main reasons for never doing a track day.

matthewAPM
09-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Age and money are my main reasons for never doing a track day.

age??

NewGen33
09-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Ya I'm 18 and with that comes some of difficulties. People seem reluctant to let younger people participate regardless of there maturity. Not saying everyone is like that but you hear it a lot. If your young your obviously dumb, immature, and have no idea what your doing.

Elbow
09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Ya I'm 18 and with that comes some of difficulties. People seem reluctant to let younger people participate regardless of there maturity. Not saying everyone is like that but you hear it a lot. If your young your obviously dumb, immature, and have no idea what your doing.

Hmmm... :???: I was running at Road Atlanta right when I turned 16...

And started autocrossing cars at 15.

Karting before puberty.

Dietcoke
09-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Have to hack the car up pretty bad for a rollbar to get on any real sort of track and I refuse to do so.

NewGen33
09-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Hmmm... :???: I was running at Road Atlanta right when I turned 16...

And started autocrossing cars at 15.

Karting before puberty.
Must of been nice

matthewAPM
09-03-2008, 09:50 AM

Age?? I raced my first kart when I was 8 yrs old. Age has nothing to do with it. I started instructing when I was 15 at autocross and 16 at road courses...im only 18 now. If you ask me, its better to get out on the track young. A lot of what you learn on the track transfers to the road. and teens need that more than anyone. Secondly, if you want to learn how to drive good on a track, the younger the better. it will keep you from getting bad habits and keeping them. You have guys who come in that are in there mid 20's who have the talent but have the bad habits too. its hard to break those guy because they have been doing it for so long.

idk, just sounds like age is getting you down and keeping you from having fun. i say get your car ready and get out on the track. forget what people say. there will always be someone willing to help.

slow_hatch
09-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Age?? I raced my first kart when I was 8 yrs old. Age has nothing to do with it. I started instructing when I was 15 at autocross and 16 at road courses...im only 18 now. If you ask me, its better to get out on the track young. A lot of what you learn on the track transfers to the road. and teens need that more than anyone. Secondly, if you want to learn how to drive good on a track, the younger the better. it will keep you from getting bad habits and keeping them. You have guys who come in that are in there mid 20's who have the talent but have the bad habits too. its hard to break those guy because they have been doing it for so long.

idk, just sounds like age is getting you down and keeping you from having fun. i say get your car ready and get out on the track. forget what people say. there will always be someone willing to help.

It helps when you have parents that support the sport. Most parents don't even want their children driving anything sporty or fast. Could you have raced your first kart at age 8 by yourself??? Then there is the fact that most 16 year olds don't make enough money to allow for trackdays, etc, most have a hard time paying for gas to and from school.

Elbow
09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
^I paid for my stuff when I turned 16, I got a job as soon as I could drive lol.

As for before that, I thank my parents greatly, but was still neve given anything. I had to mow lawns, do chores, etc. But I admit they gave tons of support.

matthewAPM
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
It helps when you have parents that support the sport. Most parents don't even want their children driving anything sporty or fast. Could you have raced your first kart at age 8 by yourself??? Then there is the fact that most 16 year olds don't make enough money to allow for trackdays, etc, most have a hard time paying for gas to and from school.

your right, if it wasnt for my parents, I would not even be close to where I am now. I wanna thank my dad more than anyone. BUT, I didnt get here b.c of my parents. I got here from working hard, saving money, and luck. When I first started racing,instead of going out to eat with my friends, i stayed at home and ate what was here. Instead of keeping my PS2 for video games, I sold it and payed for a track day. Instead of paying for gas to go to school, I rode the bus. I think if you want to do it bad enough, you will find a way.

Elbow
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
your right, if it wasnt for my parents, I would not even be close to where I am now. I wanna thank my dad more than anyone. BUT, I didnt get here b.c of my parents. I got here from working hard, saving money, and luck. When I first started racing,instead of going out to eat with my friends, i stayed at home and ate what was here. Instead of keeping my PS2 for video games, I sold it and payed for a track day. Instead of paying for gas to go to school, I rode the bus. I think if you want to do it bad enough, you will find a way.

Haha before I could work I used to buy broken PS2's and sell them. I used to bank buying and selling on the internet.

EJ25RUN
09-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Yeah well i forced my mother to understand the sport and understand how it is safe and when she realized i was the one teaching other people that street racing is beyond stupidity, she stopped.

I have no racing family back ground WHAT SO EVER. I just knew before i was in middle school that racing is the only passion i will ever have. But Matt is right. It is up to you to make it happen. Believe it or not but often time there are parents that want it more than the kid and then it all falls through.

I haven't spent a dime this month on anything at all so i can ball out for the Petit Le Mans. Granted, i will be spectating but the point I'm trying to make is if you see it as something you want bad enough, nothing should get in your way. Parents should be the least of anyone's problems as far as I'm concerned. They don't choose your life for you and don't let them forget that.

DunDunSkeert
09-15-2008, 11:17 PM
when is the next autocross anyway? sign me up if it's close to snellville.

AnthonyF
09-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Whens the next lil tally fool???? I'm anxious

-Ant.

matthewAPM
09-26-2008, 08:55 AM
look in the event section. there is one oct 21 i think

AnthonyF
09-26-2008, 09:02 AM
And what did I tell you fool? I said for you youngsters to PM an oldie. AIGHT!?

-Ant.

matthewAPM
09-28-2008, 12:34 PM
my fault. ha.

Professor X
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
I am interested in coming to the track, however my engine is on the stand at the moment. If this needs to be moved, please let me know and I'll gladly do so. I am not interested in getting another car or competing, only having fun. With that out of the way, I have a 1994 Acura Integra with a b18c1 swap. I have never road raced or autocrossed but I have attended a few events and I have no problem appreciating the balance of these cars. That being said, my initial plans were to build a low-compression turbo motor to make approximately 300-350whp daily. As time has gone by, I believe I would have more fun with half of that power on a track with a balanced car. I guess my question is, should I even bother spending money on building an engine at this time, or rebuild stock and come out and learn from there? Thanks

southside
10-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Closes track to me is like 2hours away

Z33_kid
10-09-2008, 08:05 PM
money >time>faraway that sums it up for me

EJ25RUN
10-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Most of the people in this thread are missing the one factor that rises above; COMMITMENT.

Big Baller
10-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:

Blah Blah Blah....

Your autox skills don't pay the Bills when you are in WFO coming under the bridge at Road Atlanta and the 600whp GT2 you are driving lights the tires. When it gets loose on the exit of 12 and you have to drive it through the grass where do you think your autox skills are going to land you.

The problem I have with Autoxers is that they seem to think that just because they have got a National Championship under their belts that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

For the record I have been on track with plenty of autox champions and I've yet to find one that I was truly amazed by...which is not to say that there aren't some amazing drivers out there that autox.

When you want to chase me around the track you just let me know.

Matt

Elbow
10-12-2008, 11:25 PM
^I want to chase you around the track (not a autocross champion but...lol)

As for the poster up top, no need for CRAZY mods to get into road racing and autocross. But I would say 350whp is going to be a handful for a new driver.

And as EJ said commitment seperates these people ;)

yungdz
10-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Perfect opportunity for you guys to hit the track. Thats a really good price and for a good cause.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198447

OnURleft
10-17-2008, 02:02 AM
Perfect opportunity for you guys to hit the track. Thats a really good price and for a good cause.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198447

Haha. I'm not sure about that. A bunch of crazy people competing for a measly $$ in their street cars. Sounds like there won't be much track/learning time.

I'd suggest coming out to a NASA weekend even or a BMW club event. You don't need a BMW. You can get instructor rides and check out the class room sessions.

This goes for anyone interested. PM me if you want to check out the race track. For example, I have a two day with Chin November 29th-30th and can take you for a ride in my group at Road Atlanta. That'll def. convince you to come out to the track.