PDA

View Full Version : Auto painting

fdiaz
08-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Hello im new to the fourms. And gotta say keep up the good work on the fourms . I have a 2002 ford explorer and would like to paint my grey trim thats on it. Only problem is its platic and has texture. Any way i can make it an even surface? Thanks in advance. Oh by the way anyone in flowery branch?

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40738129_8642/f83d/__sr_/d83a.jpg?ph24UDDB5XVn5O.z

MrEG62U
08-25-2005, 05:23 PM
sand with a very fine grit sand paper is the only way i can think

chuck
08-25-2005, 07:02 PM
hmmmm, best way i could think of would be first scuff it up with some 80 grit sand papaer or scotch brite...then put some stuff called bulldog primer on it then put some 2K/highbuild primer on, i'd do a couple coats on then sand it down...then paint your color on...that would keep it the straightest...if you just try to sand it as it is then it might look wavy or warped...

just depends how much time and money you want to put into/get out of it

tluve69
08-26-2005, 09:33 PM
wo 80 grit man thats a lil much, I pulled my trucks front air dam off and sanded it with 400, took a few sheets but alot less filling for the primer to do. the trick is to put a little primer(cpl coats) not 5/6 then wet sand and shoot ya base and clear,

chuck
08-26-2005, 10:34 PM
probably the scotch brite more so than the 80 grit...just depends how textured it is already...and the second sanding either 220 or 300

flysi00
08-27-2005, 10:37 AM
hmmmm, best way i could think of would be first scuff it up with some 80 grit sand papaer or scotch brite...then put some stuff called bulldog primer on it then put some 2K/highbuild primer on, i'd do a couple coats on then sand it down...then paint your color on...that would keep it the straightest...if you just try to sand it as it is then it might look wavy or warped...

just depends how much time and money you want to put into/get out of it

that sounds right

dohc_ls
08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
dude...400 grit, not 80...are you trying to scrub down to nothing? use bulldog adhesive after cleanin product then prime then paint.

fdiaz
08-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Thank you guys for the advice. Hopefully I'lll be able to do the project this weekend. Any guess on how much it would probly be for the primer? I think im going to need a lot of primer. Thanks again for the advice you guyz are the best.

MrEG62U
08-27-2005, 11:00 PM
use 80 grit and youll have alot of dips to fill use a real fine grit or you will regret it

tluve69
08-29-2005, 07:32 AM
THANK YOU civichatch, at least someone in here knows a little bit, after all this is my side money repainting cars and all.

chuck
08-29-2005, 11:50 AM
THANK YOU civichatch, at least someone in here knows a little bit, after all this is my side money repainting cars and all.

your side money...my LIVING...no biggie...listen to whoever you want dude but if you hit PLASTIC with 400 it'll gum up your sand paper in about .5 seconds, not to mention take all day...if you don't want 80 then at least use 100, and use 220 the second time you sand (after the bulldog)

Bishop
08-29-2005, 12:05 PM
^^yupp chucks the man. It will gum up the sand paper and you wont get anywhere.

tluve69
08-29-2005, 01:05 PM
you both are right, it will gum up if you dont know what your doing. 220 would be the roughest id go, any further and your gonna regreat it. and which shop you at chuck so I know to steer clear, dont want my shit comming out screwed up and jacklegged. I was going to do body full time but quit after my degree in collage due to money circum. so its not like im just someone that pics something up one weekend in my garage and call it my side money. But good luck to ya anyways fdiaz let us know how it turns out.

chuck
08-29-2005, 01:24 PM
you both are right, it will gum up if you dont know what your doing. 220 would be the roughest id go, any further and your gonna regreat it. and which shop you at chuck so I know to steer clear, dont want my shit comming out screwed up and jacklegged. I was going to do body full time but quit after my degree in collage due to money circum. so its not like im just someone that pics something up one weekend in my garage and call it my side money. But good luck to ya anyways fdiaz let us know how it turns out.
:goodjob: cool man, i went to college twice...i didn't know they had a degree for collage though, you guys must make a lot of cool stuff for mommy and daddy to hang on the fridge, probably go through a lot of glue and pictures while you're at it too. good thing you quit full time at the body shop though, wouldn't want to be sweeping floors and cleaning shitters the rest of my life either...too bad college didn't teach you how to spell any better though :D

and yeah, it'll gum up, no way around it...you might be able to take it off your block and smack it a couple times to get the shit off it or wetsand with it and you might get like .2 more seconds of use out of it, but 400 on plastic will gum up unless you're just using the other side of the paper...lol.

and yes, blackpaper and i are both right...but we already knew that :eye:

Bishop
08-29-2005, 01:34 PM
^LOL i dont have a saab anymore BIOTCH!

chuck
08-29-2005, 01:36 PM
better ho?

chuck
08-29-2005, 01:37 PM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/alphawolfau/Funny_shit/Thread_hijack_live.jpg
lol

Bishop
08-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Much better, lol

Bishop
08-29-2005, 01:38 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHA

tluve69
08-29-2005, 02:17 PM
so you mean to tell me youve been twice and your still doing body work, good choice pal. see it was either body shop or civil engineer..... hmm let me think. guess you can figure the road i took, as i said in the previous post he will choose as he wishes, just do come running and cryn to me when the dude comes and whips ya ass for giving bs info.
L8R

Bishop
08-29-2005, 02:20 PM
^lol, go back to COLLEGE

tluve69
08-29-2005, 02:32 PM
dude you two are fucking kids but yet your playing as if you know it all, whatever dude. and i thought cobb county schools didnt pass the laptop deal so what are you 2 playing hooky together while mom and dads away.

Bishop
08-29-2005, 02:34 PM
um...im not in high school anymore bud.....and your posts make no sense

tluve69
08-29-2005, 02:44 PM
I saw you 2 were born in 87, and 85. maybe that will help you understand a lil bit.

Bishop
08-29-2005, 02:54 PM
ok?? i understand you didnt post you age cause you are 15. Use 80 to scuff it up and shhot a high build primer on it....it will work fine....Im tired of your dumbass post...ill sand down my factory side skirts (which are platic) with 80 grit and i will prime it white just to show you.

chuck
08-29-2005, 02:55 PM
so you mean to tell me youve been twice and your still doing body work, good choice pal. see it was either body shop or civil engineer..... hmm let me think. guess you can figure the road i took, as i said in the previous post he will choose as he wishes, just do come running and cryn to me when the dude comes and whips ya ass for giving bs info.
L8R
yes sir, doing what i love and loving what i do. you see real body work actually pays well as opposed to being someones bondo bitch. and yes, i went to college twice went for electrical engineering AND automotive collision repair (no OR's here, i did both ;))

and yeah, he won't come whoop my ass, he'd have to reason too...you already said black paper and i were right....right??

Bishop
08-29-2005, 02:58 PM
^lol

chuck
08-29-2005, 03:02 PM
I saw you 2 were born in 87, and 85. maybe that will help you understand a lil bit.
maybe if you could get more than half of the numbers right i might be able to understand what you think you are trying to say...but if you're too dumb to remember 4 digits long enough to copy them correctly, much less make a single post without misspelling 3 or 4 simple word then i think we've got bigger issues to deal with. :bigok:

84...not 85, i'm 21, people graduate highschool when they are 17 and 18...not 21

aaaaaaaaaaaaand i don't live in cobb county and have my own computer thank you

tluve69
08-29-2005, 03:06 PM
good body work pays good.... um sure maybe mid 70's. and no he did not agree but who gives a damn this is worthless arguing with a bunch of teenagers. you all have fun doing what you like doing

chuck
08-29-2005, 03:15 PM
good body work pays good.... um sure maybe mid 70's. and no he did not agree but who gives a damn this is worthless arguing with a bunch of teenagers. you all have fun doing what you like doing
glad you are going to let us keep working :goodjob:

and sorry for taking one whole year off your life. congrads on finally being able to drink in public.
its ok todd...we'll forgive you for not having the memory to remember a number for half a second...we know it gets kinda hard sometimes :goodjob:

Bishop
08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
LOL

Bishop
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
ok?? i understand you didnt post you age cause you are 15. Use 80 to scuff it up and shhot a high build primer on it....it will work fine....Im tired of your dumbass post...ill sand down my factory side skirts (which are platic) with 80 grit and i will prime it white just to show you.
hmmm, right after i post this is he stops arguing...lol

fdiaz
08-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Now i wish i never posted this thread LOL. Sorry for the anger i cuased. Now lets all huge and make up. We can all be friends.

http://www.cise.missouri.edu/images/kids1.gif

Bishop
08-29-2005, 11:11 PM
lol, nah its cool

chuck
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
no anger here...