PDA

View Full Version : Extract Valve cover Bolts?

Chaz W
07-11-2008, 05:37 PM
So I overtorqued 2 of my valve cover bolts on the lower outside corners. They didn't snap off they are just spinning freely and I can't get them out. I can't get the VC off without taking them out.

I did this when I was re installing the valve cover after replacing the valve cover gasket, and I got replacements from Honda but now I can't get the bolts out.

The bolt heads are still in tact but I can't get them out with pliers and they are just spinning.

What should I do to get my valve cover off? I just need to replace these bolts.

VTECking
07-11-2008, 08:29 PM
^ this happened to me. All you have to do is use a flat head screw driver and push up on the valve cover as you loosen the nuts. They might come off if you do this, but if they dont, cut down the middle of the nut using a dremel tool. Then get rid of any loose metal that is on the bolt and pull that VC off once you do this to both bolts.

Benefit
07-11-2008, 11:56 PM
just happened to me too...just unscrew them off

Chaz W
07-12-2008, 10:20 AM
just unscrew them off

Because I totally haven't tried that...
They spin freely, meaning that they make no progress while spinning, thus making it impossible for them to "just unscrew off"

Cut down the middle of the nut, you mean make a slot in it? I don't quite get what you mean by saying cut down the middle of the nut. I don't see how chopping the head of the nut will help, could you ellaborate?

AnthonyF
07-12-2008, 02:26 PM
cut them off. Then just fix the problem.

-Ant.

VTECking
07-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Cut down the middle of the nut, you mean make a slot in it? I don't quite get what you mean by saying cut down the middle of the nut. I don't see how chopping the head of the nut will help, could you ellaborate?
Cut it from the top down until the nut is split in half, then clear all the excess metal shards that is left over because you dont want that to fall into your head once that VC is off.