PDA

View Full Version : DYNO Comparisons....they have a low reading dyno

Batlground
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Over the past month or so I have been hearing all about how Forged Performances dyno reads lower than ours because its a dyno dynamics etc....

A while back I heard the same thing about Topspeeds which is odd since they are both dynojets they should be really close.

We have had cars from Topspeed on our dyno before and they were within 3 hp and today we had the privilege of having a car from Forged get tested here.

It was with in 4hp of our dyno...which is about 1%

I think its pretty fair to say that they all read the same.

EmminoDaGreat
07-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Well dyno4mance uses a dyno dynamics also, and pauls evo made 350 on it, but right at 400 on yours.

slostang
07-09-2008, 03:06 PM
whos forged car did you test? was it tims 350z tt?

Init2winit
07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Well dyno4mance uses a dyno dynamics also, and pauls evo made 350 on it, but right at 400 on yours.You have got to take in account the air temperature, humidity, sea level, etc....... Especially on a boosted car.

Vteckidd
07-09-2008, 04:08 PM
ive used all 4, and i would say that Batlgrounds is pretty close to Topspeeds and they are both really close to Forged Performances.

Forged has a Dyno Dynamics.

Dynoformance they say is the "heartbreaker" and that can be just from the way they have it setup. We proved with pauls EVO that theirs was a good 30-40hp off from BGs. An it was under similar conditions.

Doesnt really mean much , numbers dont mean anything, consistency is what you want so picka dyno an stick to it.

Batlground
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Well dyno4mance uses a dyno dynamics also, and pauls evo made 350 on it, but right at 400 on yours.

I've had a wrx that made 300whp on their dyno make 309whp on ours. I've yet to see hard proof that any dyno in GA reads more than about 4% difference. Ill be happy to strap my car to everyone of them in one day, if all the shop owners want to do a little test.

Ill take the Z06 its by far the most consistent car I have ever seen on a dyno.

SPOOLIN
07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
nah, even mase down in florida said his dynodynamics dyno reads a lot lower than others, "its more accurate" so i doubt its the settings at dyno4mance.

Batlground
07-09-2008, 05:06 PM
nah, even mase down in florida said his dynodynamics dyno reads a lot lower than others, "its more accurate" so i doubt its the settings at dyno4mance.

More accurate is kind of a relative term. I don't know that I would consider it more accurate as much as I would consider it diffrent.

Vteckidd
07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
its more accurate because its not an inertial dyno. Conditions are easy to duplicate run to run.

Dynojets meaure rate of acceleration, not load so the dyno dynamics and dynapacs tend to read dfifferently.

IndianStig
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Or I can run around on my honda go to all 3 shops and get free dynos. You won't have to waste gas! Think about it..

Interesting though, BlackIX put down only 260 or so on Forged Performance Dyno (I'm pretty sure) and his car even then, put down more then that for sure to the wheels. I mean I believe he was pretty close with a stock C6 auto at the time, maybe 1 car or so from a 30 kick-130ish

EmminoDaGreat
07-09-2008, 06:03 PM
You have got to take in account the air temperature, humidity, sea level, etc....... Especially on a boosted car.

That is true, but these were only about a week apart or so, air temp might have been different, but not drastic changed. humidity the same, and sea level was probably a tad diff from calhoun to atl.

Batlground
07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
its more accurate because its not an inertial dyno. Conditions are easy to duplicate run to run.

Dynojets meaure rate of acceleration, not load so the dyno dynamics and dynapacs tend to read dfifferently.

That doesn't make it accurate it makes it repeatable. I'm not saying its not a fine dyno...

Vteckidd
07-09-2008, 10:54 PM
That doesn't make it accurate it makes it repeatable. I'm not saying its not a fine dyno...

I think we are saying the same thing, i was resopnding to Spoolin.

Most people prefer the steady state method of tuning because it allows you to more accurately tune the car. YOu can tune individual cells, different areas of the map, etc. With a load bearing dyno you can accurately find peak cylinder pressure without guessing.

Dynojets are not know for being able to do that. Since they are inertial dynos there is no load, and its not really possible to do "true" drivability and you never really know if you have found peak cylinder pressure or not. I mean you can find the same means to an end, but its alot more guessing involved with the dynojet.

Problem is that a good Dyno Dynamics or load bearing dyno is $100,000+

Hence why most shops have dynojets, they are cheaper and when used by a seasoned veteran ALMOST the same results can be found.

As far as ACCURACY, its in the eye of the beholder. A dyno is a measuring stick. Its Accuracy cant be compared to other dynoes. It can only be compared to itself. You cant say that XXXs dyno makes this whp and YYYs dyno makes this whp and its not accurate.

I agree with the original statement that most of the dynos in the metro ATL area are prob within 1-5% of each other on any given day.

TopSpeedInc
07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I would be down to test this, I have no doubt that TS and BG's dyno will read within 1% of each other. Both shops have confirmed this probably multiple times. I too have dyno'd cars from both Forged and Dyno4mance, this differenc was very little. IIRC the forged car dyno'd about 15hp more on my dyno and that was at 580hp so the percent is very little. Most of that could be a slight difference is boost or climate, and the DD was about 7% less. Thing is the more power a car makes on a load bearing dyno the less of a difference you will see. So at 500hp you may see a 3-5 percent difference, where as at 200hp it may be as much as 10-15 percent. Hardly what I would call accurate.

I think a perfect test would be to take a mid 400hp NA car and run it the same day on each dyno. I know that both BG's and TS dyno's would be accurate as we can't change our dyno to read higher or lower. But that can't be said for the other shops, both those dyno's allow the operator to make the manipulate the dyno settings allowing a 200hp car to make 300hp and vise versa.

Whats most important is you baseline your car and are able to show repeatable gains.

Doug W.

Z U L8R
07-25-2008, 06:30 PM
i'm inclined to believe that our mustang dyno is the true "heart breaker"

we have a Dual Eddy Mustang 1750.... it'd be fun to do some comparisons with some higher hp 2wd cars.

also if you're curious to see what you run in the 1/4 mile you can launch with trans brake burn out and everything on our dyno and it'll give you your reaction time, 60 foot, et, trap speed, the whole nine yards.

it'll hold 2500 wheel horsepower and go to 250mph.

not that free spinning wheel horsepower is "wrong" but when the dyno puts the appropriate load on the wheels based on a car's aerodynamics, weight, weather conditions, altitude, etc the numbers tend to be lower with these factors added in...and in my opinion, closer to what the street is actually feeling from your tires.

but in the end, it doesn't really matter what the numbers are, it matters on how the car is tuned.

Dave =]

Lethal Injection Motorsports
205A Tidwell Drive
Alpharetta, GA 30004

770-343-9969

DieselNuts
07-25-2008, 06:44 PM
I think its pretty fair to say that they all read the same.

I made 338rwhp on Forged's dynodynamics, but made 404rwhp on Red Star Performance's DynoJet... The ONLY difference to the car was the mufflers.

Blitanicle99
07-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Yep Ive heard about a Supra making 600 on Forged Dyno, driving up the street and making 868.

Something obviously is different? lol

Z U L8R
07-27-2008, 10:14 AM
the difference is putting your car on a lift and measuring the power at the wheels. versus putting your car on the street and GA 400 telling you how much power it feels from your wheels.

no load versus a true simulation with weather factors/ vehicle weight/ vehicle aerodynamics all taken into consideration. the faster your car is going on the street, the more these factors play a part in how fast you can accelerate and how fast you can go. therefore when you're tuning your car for how it's going to be on the street, wouldn't it be easier to calibrate your car (tune) when you can simulate the exact same conditions on a dyno? -rhetorical-

Dave

Vteckidd
07-27-2008, 10:32 AM
I tend to agree with Z U L8r, and it goes back to what i was saying earlier.

There are LOAD BEARING dynos which tend to typically read LOWER than Acceleration Dynos aka Dynojet.

Most "tuners" prefer that load bearing, its alot more accurate.

Problem is the dynos are usually 2-3 times the price.

There is a difference between calculating hp based on how fast a roller accelerates and calculating horsepower based upon load to the wheels.

Actual HP versus Intertial HP

Big Baller
07-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Funny I've seen the dyno sheet for that Subaru on both dynos and they are almost exactly the same.

Big Baller
07-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Yep Ive heard about a Supra making 600 on Forged Dyno, driving up the street and making 868.

Something obviously is different? lol

So now you think it reads like 40% higher...you have got to be ****ing kidding me.

Vteckidd
07-27-2008, 08:32 PM
yeah i dont doubt that there are people that get similar numbers from both machines. Im not saying its physically not possible.

Im merely stating as a general rule of thumb.

I KNOW for a fact CAT is 10-15% hp higher than any other dyno in the nation. Its higher than dynojets in the area.

I know that we have had cars dyno at DynoFormance and make 330whp then dyno at BG and make 390whp.

But then i remember you saying that Jeremys car dynoed the same numbers.

Interesting, i feel it comes down to the load bearing dynos can duplicate realistic conditions more accurately than the dynojets. They have more data available and the sensors are far more sophisticated than the Dynojets. Maybe that is the reason.

Its probably just a coincidence that on some days people get the same numbers, on others its vastyl different.

Vteckidd
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh and just throwing this out there.

Gen2Freaks integra with a stock b16 made 135whp on mainstreams dyno. He then went to KNowledge for 3 pulls and made 177whp IIRC. almost 40whp differnce lol

Matt i remember you saying that SOGs dynapack read really high, cause your race car had 430whp per their dyno ,yet it was only trapping 110s or something.

So why the change of heart?

How was the 24 hours de lemons?

MongolPup
07-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Get me a date for this gentlemen and I would love to take pictures lol

scttydb411
07-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh and just throwing this out there.

Gen2Freaks integra with a stock b16 made 135whp on mainstreams dyno. He then went to KNowledge for 3 pulls and made 177whp IIRC. almost 40whp differnce lol

Matt i remember you saying that SOGs dynapack read really high, cause your race car had 430whp per their dyno ,yet it was only trapping 110s or something.

So why the change of heart?

How was the 24 hours de lemons?

dynapaks are a different story...typically display crank power vs. whp. which would be just about right given how each is set up.

each one is different and it's knowing how to use each one properly. if i had to build a basemap from nothing i would want to use a dynodynamics because of it's load bearing nature, but since i have stock fuel/timing tables to work from the dynojet works just fine. as long as you can see how your changes make a difference is what really matters.

from what i've seen most of the dynojets are within 5% of each other in town, mustang and dynodynamics reading lower, and dynapaks reading higher (due to crank power being shown not whp).