PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal problem....

Killer
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
bought 4 new signals...

replaced my stock signals one at a time.... each time i checked them individually... and they all would work..

i got to the last signal... replaced it.... now none of them work.. BUT it did work originally when i had 3 new signals and one stock signal on...

but even now when i replace the last new signal with the old signal it still won't work....

i posted this up on a buell forum.. they said i needed an additional resistor.... i don't know what the ef that means!!!

here's the original thread :

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Blast/Point-me-in-the-right-direction

reps to anyone that can help!

Blitanicle99
07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
After reading your thread, apparently aftermarket signals don't draw much power. Go to radio shack and grab a 12volt resistor. They are cheap. I'm not entirely sure where to wire it in, I am sorta thinking on the power relay wire. I do car stereo and home electrics but usually don't mess with resistors.

Killer
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
After reading your thread, apparently aftermarket signals don't draw much power. Go to radio shack and grab a 12volt resistor. They are cheap. I'm not entirely sure where to wire it in, I am sorta thinking on the power relay wire. I do car stereo and home electrics but usually don't mess with resistors.

that's just it.. i wouldn't know where to wire this in at.. and i don't want to screw anything up......

what i don't get is if it worked once with 3 new and one old signal... why won't it work that way again?

StraightSix
07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Is the circuit for the turn signals fused? Could be as simple as a blown fuse.

Also, the new signals are they a factory replacement part or aftermarket?

Killer
07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Is the circuit for the turn signals fused? Could be as simple as a blown fuse.

Also, the new signals are they a factory replacement part or aftermarket?

after market... and the bulbs do look smaller.. but i haven't checked the actual size...

not a fuse.. if you read the thread i posted on the buell forum.. i have checked all fuses.... non are blown.

Blitanicle99
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Thats the fun part, you either have to pay someone to figure it out or just screw with it and do it. As long as you have a fuse you wont screw something up, just blow a couple fuses. Grab some resistors, try wiring them in different spots until it works. Maybe there is something on google you could find with resistors and where to wire them for a smaller amperage light fixture on a 12 volt system.

Killer
07-09-2008, 12:50 PM
thanks.. i'll try pulling that up...

Blitanicle99
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Awesome, if your really that bad at wiring I might could come help ya.

Killer
07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Awesome, if your really that bad at wiring I might could come help ya.

i'm not bad at wiring!!! lol...

but this kinda thing is new to me...

i know how to make good connections/tape them up... all that... thanks though man!!!

the buell forum started picking back up and helping me out too!!

StraightSix
07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
after market... and the bulbs do look smaller.. but i haven't checked the actual size...

not a fuse.. if you read the thread i posted on the buell forum.. i have checked all fuses.... non are blown.

I didn't read the Buell thread, obviously. Now that I have, I'm trying to think about how you would wire in a resistor, and what ohm value of resistor.

In the turn signal circuit, the bulbs themselves are basically resistors. That's how they light up, well partially, they also need the vacuum inside the bulb. An ohmmeter will "see" the bulb as a resistor, though. If the bulbs you're using don't have enough resistance, that will also change the voltage in the overall circuit; this occurs because of Ohm's law where V = I*R, where V = voltage, I = current, and R = resistance. A change in one of those variables will cause a change in the others.

I'll think on it and get back....

Killer
07-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I didn't read the Buell thread, obviously. Now that I have, I'm trying to think about how you would wire in a resistor, and what ohm value of resistor.

In the turn signal circuit, the bulbs themselves are basically resistors. That's how they light up, well partially, they also need the vacuum inside the bulb. An ohmmeter will "see" the bulb as a resistor, though. If the bulbs you're using don't have enough resistance, that will also change the voltage in the overall circuit; this occurs because of Ohm's law where V = I*R, where V = voltage, I = current, and R = resistance. A change in one of those variables will cause a change in the others.

I'll think on it and get back....

that'd be great...

thanks!!! (i can't rep you... sorry :( )

David88vert
07-09-2008, 07:33 PM
If you will ride over to my place, I can fix it for you. It only takes a couple of minutes to add resistors. I've done it lots of times for riders around here.

Tarzanman
07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Put this in instead:

http://www.gearlog.com/images/11242.jpg

2000Quad
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
go on ebay and my old cbr used a relay that once i plugged in a new one in place of the stock one it fixed everything

Tech5
07-10-2008, 12:14 AM
lololol:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
Put this in instead:

http://www.gearlog.com/images/11242.jpg

Killer
07-10-2008, 08:35 AM
go on ebay and my old cbr used a relay that once i plugged in a new one in place of the stock one it fixed everything

do you know what "size" relay? (are there diff sizes? lol)

StraightSix
07-10-2008, 10:42 AM
There aren't really different sizes. Relays will have a different number of poles. Think of a relay as an electro-mechanical switch. You'll need something that is rated the same as the original relay and has the same number of poles.

Killer
07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
There aren't really different sizes. Relays will have a different number of poles. Think of a relay as an electro-mechanical switch. You'll need something that is rated the same as the original relay and has the same number of poles.

dudes on buell said it was the relay...

but i'm still not sure....

it's all pretty confusing...

David88vert
07-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Your bike probably has a solid state relay that needs a measured load to be able to work. You can either put in resisteors to create the needed load, or change the relay to a electronic one that will work with almost no load (LEDS don't make the same load as bulbs.).

Killer
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
thanks for all the help guys!!! bought an ep-36 relay plugged it up...

it's now working fine!! pictures in the "car pics" area!!!

EJ25RUN
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
lol at flux capacitor