PDA

View Full Version : 4th gear being weird! need help asap!!! tranny gurus!

khaxnguyen
07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
just recently i put in a Y8 tranny, seller said that it was in good condition with no grinds and no cracks in casing. after installation.. test drove, ran fine until i tried to go into 4th gear.. if i shift straight from 3rd to 4th it would just grind, no engagement. only if and when i let the RPMs drop to idle will it let me go in with no grinding. AND another thing i noticed is that when not driving with the car on... you can slighly press the shifter into each gear, not forcefully but just enough to the point where you feel the engine slow down... 4th TRIES to go in. it grinds even slightly

need help asap!

EmminoDaGreat
07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I can fix it bring it to me :]

G.C
07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
^^^ there great guys. if you were to fix it let them do it. but maybe the synchronizer is out?

khaxnguyen
07-09-2008, 09:58 AM
I can fix it bring it to me :]

how much? i need quote on how much to fix the 4th gear issue if i just brought you the tranny. PM me

blackshine007
07-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Bent shift fork? Can you go from 5th to 4th with no problem?

IndianStig
07-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Lol, Shaun, remember your shifter broke when we ran?

I wish I knew what was going on, I woulda stopped to help but I didn't wanna get caught for racing. Especially in the area we were. :eek: :eek: :eek: :crazy:

khaxnguyen
07-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Bent shift fork? Can you go from 5th to 4th with no problem?

i can go into 5th to 4th no problem... but like i said i have to let the RPMs drop or else it will grind.

if it helps you guys, im using a 50/50 mix of pennzoil synchromesh and 10w-30 valvoline motor oil

southside
07-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Sounds like TOO Tall and his Ktranny

khaxnguyen
07-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds like TOO Tall and his Ktranny

lol neh, his is at high RPMs... mines is at low RPMs :ninja:

southside
07-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Naw his wont shift until its damn near close to idle.Or it will not go in .

blackshine007
07-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Lol, Shaun, remember your shifter broke when we ran?

I wish I knew what was going on, I woulda stopped to help but I didn't wanna get caught for racing. Especially in the area we were. :eek: :eek: :eek: :crazy:
Aahh, yes, the memories. I just broke that trans recently and it's sitting in my back yard. I stripped 3rd gear. I had to put a regular trans in to hold me off for the moment until that one is built up again. Right now my car feels slow with that trans. I don't have that pull off the line like I had before.

i can go into 5th to 4th no problem... but like i said i have to let the RPMs drop or else it will grind.

if it helps you guys, im using a 50/50 mix of pennzoil synchromesh and 10w-30 valvoline motor oil

I had that problem when I was trying to go into second gear. But I could get into the gear just fine from 3rd to 2nd but not from 1st to second. I changed the fluid and went with the normal fluid instead of mixing fluids and it worked out fine. I did see some metal flakes in the fluid. Just try regular old 10w30 full synthetic without syncromesh. I can't give you any promises that it will work better but it's a start.

BTW, how's the shifter cable, counter weight and all? There isn't anything loose, is there?

khaxnguyen
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
BTW, how's the shifter cable, counter weight and all? There isn't anything loose, is there?

umm i have a linkage, but everything is tight. linkage pin is all the way in, stabilizer bolt is tight and shifter end bolts are tight too. i have prothane bushings but i dont think that will have any effect on anything :thinking: