PDA

View Full Version : Possible Free Replacement of Rear Trailing Arm Bushings

Andy099
07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
I've been hearing a clunk sound and some squeak from my rear suspension and after some research and getting it looked at I found out it was my rear trailing arm bushings going bad.

I found this very interesting article about these bushings

http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/honda/bushing/bushing.html

And it mentioned that Honda released a Service Bulletin Service Bulletin 00-006 (dated December 11, 2001) authorizing the replacement of damaged bushings

Link to Honda Service Bullentin PDF (http://honda.justanswer.com/uploads/acuramstr/2008-05-23_182150_crv__bush.pdf)

Before Honda never sold the bushings by itself so you had to buy the whole trailing arm. After they discovered this part was going bad in alot of 88-00 Civics, 93-97 del sols, and 97-01 CR Vs they now offered a redesigned bushing that they model after the Mugen Bushings that is stiffer.

Based on the Service bullentin this is a "safety" issue and can be replaced for free at your local Honda dealer.

This will save you $70 for the new bushings, labor, + the Schley Products 65100 Honda & Acura Trailing Arm Bushing X-TRACTOR tool needed for easy installation for $140 (Link (http://www.devildogtools.com/scpr65hoactr.html))

So if you have stock suspension on your car still then you should definetly qualify. Luckily I'm not putting on my suspension till this weekend so I found this just in time...

I will see if my local honda service manager will approve the service work and let you guys know....

Current Status:
I called the Service Manager @ Gwinnett Place Honda and they told me they would have to do a diagnostics to see if the bushing are bad. I informed them that I had a free 45 point inspection a few months back and it listed that the bushings need to be replaced so they pulled up the inspection in the system and verify that information so I didn't have to pay for it. He filled out some paper work and is calling the Zone Center for approval. He will get in contact with me this afternoon.

So try requesting a free 45 point inspection from the manager and more than likely they will give it to you. I had it done for free during their "Honda Care Days" promotion which they have every year. If it list your rear trailing arm bushings as bad then bring in a printed copy of the service bulletin and have them fix it for free.

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 10:09 AM
keep me posted ill have that done on my sol . lol even got some oem struts n springs to raise the car back to stock height jus to have this done .:goodjob:

preferredduck
07-09-2008, 12:39 AM
damn my front suspension squeaks a lot but i'm not sure what bushing it is?

VickNotic
07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
so is this for real?

KevinT707
07-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Hrmm interesting, now where is this 'Service Bulletin' that I would need to bring to him after I get my inspection (assuming bushing is bad) ?

green91
07-09-2008, 09:02 PM
That TSB clearly says its only covered for vehicles under warranty unless the dealer or regional rep wants to goodwill it.. those of us with high mileage older vehicles good luck!