PDA

View Full Version : infinity J30T tranny problem ???

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 02:07 AM
ok here is the deal this is the first problem ive EVER had out of this car and any to all suggestions ( including selling to get a honda ) are welcome LOL :crazy: :lmfao: . here is my problem .

the car cranks and runs BEAUTIFUL!!!!! when its cold , when it gets to normal operating temperature the tranny quits shifting ! ... its a auto tranny and has never been dogged on ( moms car ) it shifts smooth as PI$$ when its cold threw all the gears !! .. but it will not shift once it reaches normal temp ?? sensor ? bad tranny ( doubt it ) ? shifting solenoids went out ? i dunno its confusing ... thats why i own a honda but i need help and she also has the sAme PROBLEM on a 93 gmc 1500 pickup ,.... has the same issues .... SO WTF ?!?!?!?!?!!?

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 02:09 AM
i think the motor is like a VG35 with auto tranny .

Init2winit
07-08-2008, 09:39 AM
How many miles?

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 09:43 AM
like 175,xxx if that

blackshine007
07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
i think the motor is like a VG35 with auto tranny .
You mean VG30DE. It's the n/a version of the 300zx motor. Same transmission. If you can't find another J30, find a 300zx. Or convert it to 5 speed. The "T" models all came with an LSD so that 5 speed will be very happy with that rear end. That's what I'd do if I had a J30T. No more automatic FTMFW

Init2winit
07-08-2008, 09:47 AM
like 175,xxx if thatThat is an awful lot of miles. Your symptoms relate to a bad transmission. Is the fluid burnt?

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 09:49 AM
no burnt fluid .... no smell. fluid is like someone jus poured it in and i KNOW noone did recently !!!! .. car hasnt been touched in like 7 months except to crank it occasionally .

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 09:52 AM
when the motor is cold .. IT RUNS AND DRIVES PERFECTLY !!! .... but once it gets to normal temp it doesnt want to shift into any gears ( wont move after it warms up .)

EDIT : its my mothers car and im pretty sure she could careless about lsd and it being a manual :screwy: but i never know because she was the first women to drag at our local dragstrip back in the day with her 67 chevelle SS that ran 9's :cheers: :yes:

Init2winit
07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Are there any codes in it?

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 09:58 AM
no CEL's , my friend thinks its a clogged cat ????? ... but why would that affect the tranny ???

Init2winit
07-08-2008, 10:00 AM
There are three things that will make a transmission not engage. Lack of hydraulic pressure, bad forward drum assembly or something pertaining to that, or a converter. There is absolutely nothing electronic that will make that transmission not engage. Forward and reverse motion in an automatic transmission is mechanical / hydraulic engagement only. The electronics come into play when the trans shifts and when the converter locks up.

Init2winit
07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
no CEL's , my friend thinks its a clogged cat ????? ... but why would that affect the tranny ???Does the engine rev up and the car not move, or does the engine just bog down?

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Does the engine rev up and the car not move, or does the engine just bog down? when its cold started it drives perfect and shifts perfect ... but when it gets to normal temp it will only rev when in drive and wont move .

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
the car will stay cranked ... but wont move lol .

Init2winit
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
If it revs and the car won't move, it isn't the cat. You need a trans.

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 10:31 AM
but why would it drive fine when cold then not at all when warm ? i can understand that if it didnt work period ... but it drives like it just came from the showroom floor when its cold ....

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 10:35 AM
i really would like to fix this tranny .... but i know where to get another one for pretty cheap ... so i might jus do that .. but im still hoping its some kind of BS sensor .or something along them lines lmao

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 10:41 AM
There are three things that will make a transmission not engage. Lack of hydraulic pressure, bad forward drum assembly or something pertaining to that, or a converter. There is absolutely nothing electronic that will make that transmission not engage. Forward and reverse motion in an automatic transmission is mechanical / hydraulic engagement only. The electronics come into play when the trans shifts and when the converter locks up. well my moms truck will shift into all gears it jus wont go over 10 mph and it wont shift . stays in one gear ... but the infinity will drive fine until it warms up then it wont go into any other gear so we parked it after it done it the FIRST time .. and has been sitting since .

Init2winit
07-08-2008, 10:51 AM
well my moms truck will shift into all gears it jus wont go over 10 mph and it wont shift . stays in one gear ... but the infinity will drive fine until it warms up then it wont go into any other gear so we parked it after it done it the FIRST time .. and has been sitting since .Sounds like the truck has a stuck throttle valve, or governor.

1SOL2NV
07-08-2008, 10:54 AM
the deal witht the truck is .. she was driving down the highway and heard a loud CLANK ... after the noise her speed dropped to the max of 10mph and the tranny wouldnt shift no matter wut she tried ....now when u crank the truck and "test drive it " it will not shift at all ..it wants to stay in one gear and wont shift unless u manual shift it lol .even if you do that it wont go over 10 mph . throttle cable is tight .

Init2winit
07-08-2008, 11:21 AM
the deal witht the truck is .. she was driving down the highway and heard a loud CLANK ... after the noise her speed dropped to the max of 10mph and the tranny wouldnt shift no matter wut she tried ....now when u crank the truck and "test drive it " it will not shift at all ..it wants to stay in one gear and wont shift unless u manual shift it lol .even if you do that it wont go over 10 mph . throttle cable is tight .Apparently everything you own needs a transmission! :eek:

1SOL2NV
07-09-2008, 06:44 AM
not my honda lol ...

Kaiser
07-09-2008, 08:26 PM
but why would it drive fine when cold then not at all when warm ? i can understand that if it didnt work period ... but it drives like it just came from the showroom floor when its cold ....

You said the fluid looks brand new. Are you CERTAIN it didn't get changed out anywhere along the way? Crank the car up, get it to running temperatures, and check the fluid level. I have seen low fluid levels cause this kind of thing before because there just isn't enough for the torque converter to do it's job properly. After verifying there's enough fluid, your next step should be to replace all the fluid in it and verify that it's the right kind of fluid. Different AT fluids have different properties at operating temperature, but almost all of them are still dyed the same color red. The wrong trans fluid or not enough would be your ABSOLUTE cheapest problem here, so it's a 100% must check.

Remember, get the car up to OPERATING TEMPERATURE, where it won't move any more, THEN check the trans fluid with the ENGINE RUNNING. If it doesn't show up at the full mark on the dipstick, find out what kind of Trans fluid it needs from your local parts store, purchase some, and add. Once you've added a little, (Remember it's usually 1 pint between the crosshatches not 1 Quart like motor oil) pull the car through PRNDL and back a few times, staying on each gear, then check the level again. Had a customer bring in a car to work just last week that had a similar problem that was caused by a lack of transmission fluid. (Car stopped moving regardless of revs at certain temperature). After topping him off we took him on a test drive and the car ran smooth and shifted perfectly.

1SOL2NV
07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
i know noone changed the fluids ! but i havent checked them out after the car gets "warmed up" ill double check and post more about it ... +reps for both of yall !

Kaiser
07-09-2008, 09:11 PM
i know noone changed the fluids ! but i havent checked them out after the car gets "warmed up" ill double check and post more about it ... +reps for both of yall ! Definitely worth checking the levels then, if it all comes out fine then you should at least still get some idea of what's going on. Look for bubbles on the dipstick too, as they can sometimes be a sign of trouble.

PS: This is why I bought a manual A4 and this is why I hope I don't have to drive an auto for a nice long while.

1SOL2NV
07-09-2008, 09:14 PM
its my moms car ... i keep telling her to fix the cars and sell them and buy a honda where i can work on them .... i know nothing but honda's and she knows nothing past the year 67 lol ... she's hard headed .but ill check these items and let er body know wuts up .