PDA

View Full Version : vtec problms 2 ! (better info)

esco97civicR
07-07-2008, 09:39 PM
well i have a 97 civic originally d16y8 i went to an Ls motor for about 5 months now i got a jdm d15b.... guy told me it does indeed need a oil change but when i drove it in his chassis it wus working... vtec does try to kick in but it just sounds like its spitting and tries to take off but it just jerks bak and fourth.. sumone told me i have to reset the ecu cus i havnt used vtec in months with the Ls motor??? SORY BOUT DA LIL INFO AT FIRST!

whatever210
07-07-2008, 10:41 PM
well i have a 97 civic originally d16y8 i went to an Ls motor for about 5 months now i got a jdm d15b.... guy told me it does indeed need a oil change but when i drove it in his chassis it wus working... vtec does try to kick in but it just sounds like its spitting and tries to take off but it just jerks bak and fourth.. sumone told me i have to reset the ecu cus i havnt used vtec in months with the Ls motor??? SORY BOUT DA LIL INFO AT FIRST!

did you change the oil. you need too. next check your oil level. if your oil is to low then vtec wont egange. oil needs to be either in the middle of the two dots or near the top dot. and make sure the car is normal operation temp when you try to hit vtec. it will not do it when its cold. do you have a p28 ecu? the jerking back and fourth sounds like a problem my buddy use to have. and it turned out to be a bad ecu. try a different ecu. a d15b is a vtec motor so try using the p28 ecu. did you convert from obd2? :rant: and who told you to reset the ecu cause you havent hit vtec in a while. wtf its a computer its always gunna be there no matter what motor it is. if i take my h22 ecu and put it in the f22 for 6 months and then take it back out and put it back in the h22 then vtec will kick in fine. but take your neg side off the battery for 5 min and see if that does anything.

esco97civicR
07-07-2008, 11:38 PM
apreciate the help bro.. wil changing the ecu affect emissions? but my civic was vtec originally soo i shudnt have to change ecu's right?

whatever210
07-07-2008, 11:56 PM
no it wont effect emissions. and the right ecu should go with motor. thats like having a d15b vtec ecu and then doing a h22 swap and trying to run the stock ecu with the h22. its just not going to happen. different fuel maps. but i believe a d15b is a obd1 wiring harnest and the 97 models are obd2 so did you have to convert. what ecu you have in there now.

esco97civicR
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
i have the original civic ecu in there.... but if the car is 0bd2 i needa hav an obd2 motor to pass emmision right? the guy i got it ofa sed it wus obd2 ... i changed the oil and level and all that but it engaging isnt a problem it tries but something isnt letting it do it cleanly u kno??

whatever210
07-09-2008, 09:42 AM
then if its trying to then the ecu is not your problem. try cleaning your vtec solinoid. it for the h22 but all vtec solinoids are the same. try doing this
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264757

esco97civicR
07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
nothing bro>>> i got together with tha guy who owned the motor and wat were gna try is a p28 ecu .... maybe datl do that trick>>> but i think i gta buy a censor or something like dat right??? (apreciate tha help btw)

turbob20
08-21-2008, 12:29 AM
if its a obd2 car it has to be an obd2 computer unless you get a obd 2to obd1 conversion harness. i believe some things are pinned in different on the 2. also an unplugged or mispluged iac valve on the back of the intake next to throttle boddy will cause this too. sometimes other plugs can interchange like the air intake temp sensor and stuff so check all the plugs. vtec engagement depends on throttle position,coolant temperature,speed sensor oil pressure and rpm to activate. all these have to be working to engage.

turbob20
08-21-2008, 12:37 AM
also if the ls is an obd1 engine and harness the distributor will have 2 plugs as an obd2 wich you car is will have 1 plug. so check you factory engine distributor plugs. cause some engines have a cylinder position sensor on the oil pump next to your pully and obd1 is in distributor so these diferences can also be the culprit.