PDA

View Full Version : No insurance ticket...anyone gotten one?

Kaiser
07-07-2008, 03:18 PM
So, a couple weeks ago I bought a '71 240z. Paid in cash, got the title in hand, signed and dated by both me and the guy that sold it to me. There was no tag on the car, as the old owner's was expired, and obviously we didn't have a way to magic a tag onto the car. So, I'm driving the car home with my friend in the passenger seat and my fiance tailing me in her Accent...and guess what...

On Roswell road, right near Williamson Brothers, a cop coming towards us in the opposite lane made a u-turn to get behind my fiance. Pops lights and sirens. The rest of the cars on the road basically ignored it, we were in the left hand lane, so she dives into the turn lanes to let to cop pull me over. He does, obviously, and proceeds to give me a ticket for not having insurance on the car.

I have insurance. I have full coverage on my Audi, which I didn't trade in or anything, and had the card on me to prove it. My policy states that I have 30 days after buying a new car but before adding it to the policy, and I'm covered.

Has anyone else ever gotten a ticket like this?

OTG Signs
07-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Just go to court and show the solicitor you have insurance and it will drop.

Ran
07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
You should be covered for 30-days after buying a vehicle IIRC. I don't know the specifics of the GA law, but that's always been what I've told. I'd check the actual law before anything.

toxxxic
07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
psh. i was told it was mandatory jail if you were caught driving without insurance. and that you had 3 days to get insurance on a vehicle after buying it. im pretty sure the 30 day thing is for a tag. unless your policy is different. which all of them are.

im sure on your court date, if you bring proof of insurance & all that good stuff, it will be dropped.

redrumracer
07-07-2008, 03:26 PM
did you show him the bill of sale? i believe in ga you have 30 to tag your car and get insurance on it.

carbon_crash
07-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Never gotten a ticket, but typically that 30 days applies only if your currently insured vehicle is sold/traded/ etc. Just get a copy of your policy from your agent, go to court and it probably will get dropped

Ran
im sure on your court date, if you bring proof of insurance & all that good stuff, it will be dropped.Yeah, but even then they'll probably hit you with a $50 court fee.

frostbyte
yeah i called the court house and set an opintment up with the solicitor of the court we talked a minute and he called the insurance provider in which they did tell him i had full coverage on my girls integra and he dropped it on the spot... simple as pie appologized for the issue and i left... my lil sis roller skates here in douglasville too so one night after pickin her up i noticed the ticketing officer was on roller rink duty and has been for 8 months and hates it everytime i pick her up. i doubt it but i like to belive hes there for f'n wit me... lol

Kaiser
07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah we got the ticket stuff in the mail that says if we can prove we were insured at the time it's just a 25 dollar fine, which is still ridiculous considering we had to pay to have the car towed home too.

But the cop said that it didn't matter and you needed to add it to your policy before you ever drove it. He said we were misinformed when we were told that you had xx days, or whatever, before you needed insurance. Screw days, we needed three hours to get insurance. Anyway, even though we had the dated title and insurance card he gave us the ticket.

he chewed out my fiance for getting over to the left instead of the right when he turned his lights on. Apparently didn't notice the cars that were to her right...the guy was the worst kind of d-bag.

Ran
my lil sis roller skates here in douglasville too so one night after pickin her up i noticed the ticketing officer was on roller rink duty and has been for 8 months and hates it everytime i pick her up. i doubt it but i like to belive hes there for f'n wit me... lolPedoBear Alert

frostbyte
lol damn yall post quick a min ago there was no responses lmmfao

Crazy Asian
Maybe you should get that job Ran.

Kaiser
07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
redrum: we didn't have a bill of sale, it was a cash transaction, private party, we handed the guy a stack of bills and he signed the title over.

Ran
07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
redrum: we didn't have a bill of sale, it was a cash transaction, private party, we handed the guy a stack of bills and he signed the title over.On the back of the title, it should have a place for name, mileage, and DATE.

frostbyte
07-07-2008, 03:32 PM
lol shut up my mom has cancer and cant drive on her meds so between me and my bro we get her home lol @ pedo (far from that nasty chit)

Kaiser
07-07-2008, 03:32 PM
It did, and it was dated for the same day. The cop didn't give a damn.

DevilK9
07-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Just called up my agent with this question because I'm bored and I found it interesting. Here's what he told me:

1) 30 Days to get tag from date of purchase on Bill of Sale
2) All vehicles on roadway must be insured at all times
3) Each insurance policy has it's own guidelines for coverage of newly purchased vehicles. For instance, mine covers the first 48 hours following purchase without additional coverage being purchased. Each policy is different.

My agent said that if your policy on your other vehicle (fully covered Audi I presume) has this coverage, you should be able to present that to the solicitor at the indictment court date, and that they will drop the case.

Hope that helps. Thanks for giving me something to do this afternoon.

frostbyte
07-07-2008, 03:35 PM
always get a bill of sale no matter what, even if its on a post it note...

Kaiser
07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Just called up my agent with this question because I'm bored and I found it interesting. Here's what he told me:

3) Each insurance policy has it's own guidelines for coverage of newly purchased vehicles. For instance, mine covers the first 48 hours following purchase without additional coverage being purchased. Each policy is different.

My agent said that if your policy on your other vehicle (fully covered Audi I presume) has this coverage, you should be able to present that to the solicitor at the indictment court date, and that they will drop the case.

Appreciate the help actually, glad I could give you something. Have talked to Progressive, they have told me my policy covers me for 30 days after having purchased a new car, but they did point out that it did change with different policies and such. You guys have certainly made me feel a little less psychotic. I'll just get everything ready and go to the solicitor and see what he says. My insurance provider said I was insured...so. Well anyways, right now worst case is a $540 rough estimate on the ticket and the possible loss of my license for six months. I should be able to get a provisional so I can at least get to work, and if not I'll deal with it from there. Hope everyone else learns from my mistake lol. Don't drive a car without 100% solid proof of insurance in the state of Georgia. The funniest part is that my friends from out of state think this whole thing is nuts, apparently Georgia state law is just really particular about all this.

frostbyte
07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
call the county solicitor if u can schedule an appointment with him before the court date and ur policy actually covered you could very poss. get away with no fine, let it go to court and chance a small fine amd court fees... as bad as the court wants money the solicitor wants less work and a call in the office and dismisal is easier than tryin to figure out in court and plus it shows him/her you concerned enough to schedule and maybe u really didnt know there was an issue hell work more for you if its not in court and rushed...

redrumracer
07-07-2008, 03:44 PM
redrum: we didn't have a bill of sale, it was a cash transaction, private party, we handed the guy a stack of bills and he signed the title over.
ive always had a bill of sale. even for cash transactions.

DevilK9
07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I had no idea you could schedule a meeting out of court.

Thanks for the info.

May come in handy later on.

Kaiser
07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Yea, this was our first time buying a car private party, we know better now. I thought the title was the bill of sale.

Evil Goat
07-07-2008, 04:10 PM
im not reading the thread, but insurance coverage usually only transfers to a new vehicle if the new vehicle is replacing a vehicle on the policy...to be honest you should have called your insurance company, added the car prior to buying it, and had a temp card faxed, emailed, etc to you

youre probably ****ed, you can talk to the solicitor, but id be willing to bet you will be chalking this one up to experience

StraightSix
07-07-2008, 04:41 PM

Item 2 is the kicker. It comes from a state law, however, and is not an insurance company policy. Georgia requires that you have insurance on a car when you buy it, if you intend to drive it home. South Carolina is the same.

I've actually gotten this ticket twice. The first time was after an accident where I was the final car in a chain reaction wreck. An older Explorer hit a Windstar behind me, and the Windstar hit me in my '72 240Z; this happened on Five Forks Trickum Rd in Gwinnett. The insurance card for the car hadn't come in the mail yet, but I got a ticket for no proof on insurance (this was a long time ago, before insurance companies began selling policies online). I took the insurance card to the courthouse and paid a small fine, something like $30 and was done with it.

The second was on Old Norcross Rd. near Oakland Rd. not far from my parents house. I was driving a 1981 528i Euro that I just finished a head gasket job on, and was about to park the car in a storage unit where I was doing the work. I got no proof of ownership, and no proof of insurance. I ended up paying something like $240 in fines and was able to keep my license.

Kaiser
07-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Our biggest concern is being able to keep the license. According to our insurance company, we WERE insured on the car. So hopefully the courthouse will accept that...

Who knows, this is all so screwed up, we're probably going to get a different solution to any that are listed here.