PDA

View Full Version : Sticky situation....

Killer
07-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Well as most know, I bought a bike about 2 months ago... sold my montero and bought a lil beater civic as a daily....
moved and now am in an apt complex... just recently got a garage to store my bike in... my room mate and i agreed to split the cost (85 a month... i'd pay 45 and him 40)... except this month he's not living here yet so i forked out the full 85 to get my bike in a garage...

Now, here are my problems..

1. I pretty much hate the civic... it's not roomy enough for me.. and i take my dog to work every day... besides that... it's ugly... needs a good bit of work cosmetically to have the look i want...

2. Needs work mechanically to be sound as well... just bought a clutch... going to install it soon... needs new susp/brakes... and i'm pretty sure my headgasket is blown... i've got oil in my coolant.. and if i drive over 65-70 the car over heats...

3. My roommate just told me yesterday he can't bring his bike down.. so he wasn't going to get the garage.. and i don't want to leave my bike outside whether i have a cover or not... only other option for storage is to leave it in blue ridge... but i don't go up as often as i use to... so i'll barely get to ride it....

so what do i do?

vote... then explain....

ironchef
07-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Fork over the $85/month and keep the garage. Cut down on some other useless expenses and put it into keeping your bike in good shape. And possibly working on fixing the civic.

Sammich
07-07-2008, 09:36 AM
agreed w/ keeping the garage...civic, find a cheap replacement Dseries motor, replace it, get some rotas and putthe civic in the garage w/ the bike, call it day

Killer
07-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Fork over the $85/month and keep the garage. Cut down on some other useless expenses and put it into keep your bike in good shape. And possibly working on fixing the civic.

i don't have any other useless expense really... (none that i can think of anyway...)

and yeah, working on my car was another reason i wanted the garage.

Killer
07-07-2008, 09:40 AM
agreed w/ keeping the garage...civic, find a cheap replacement Dseries motor, replace it, get some rotas and putthe civic in the garage w/ the bike, call it day

why would i replace the whole motor and not just the things wrong with the motor???

Vteckidd
07-07-2008, 09:41 AM
its $40? If its going to break you then you have other problems.

For your ROomate, thats why i never live with anyone anymore. Cant depend on **** from anyone. Make sure he doesnt use that garage AT ALL if he isnt going to pay for it and hes going to back out.

As far as the civic goes,yeah it sucks, i drive one too, but the gas mileage makes it worth it. I get passed by S2000s, RSXs, Other nicer cars that prob get the same gas mileage, but you know what, its just an all around cheaper car to own. You are doing yourself a favor by driving it and use your bike to "go fast and clear your head"

Keep the civic, buy a $40 headgasket and swap it out when you get time, but make sure its a headgasket.

As far as the garage goes, if $40 is going to put a big strain on you then you need to look at your other financial statements because you got something else going on . $40 shouldnt be a matter of life or death so like someone else said cut some other stuff out to make up for it.

Go out 1 night instead of 2 a week, eat out less, etc

Killer
07-07-2008, 09:42 AM
and forking over that extra bit of cash kinda puts a strain on me...

not only am i paying that.. but car and bike insurance...

if i sold the bike.. that would free up a good bit of money each month....

Sammich
07-07-2008, 09:43 AM
cuz another $200 and u can possibly have a lower mileage motor oppose to figuring out why your old one is overheating (more than likely related to your blown headgasket) and replacing your headgasket. brakes are cheap for that car, you can ebay that stuff..find cheap pads, shoes and rotors for it on ebay

Ran
07-07-2008, 09:44 AM
How much for the bike?

Sammich
07-07-2008, 09:44 AM
and forking over that extra bit of cash kinda puts a strain on me...

not only am i paying that.. but car and bike insurance...

if i sold the bike.. that would free up a good bit of money each month....

how much is bike insurance, do you pay every month or every 6 months? isnt the car and bike paid off?

Killer
07-07-2008, 09:46 AM
its $40? If its going to break you then you have other problems.

For your ROomate, thats why i never live with anyone anymore. Cant depend on **** from anyone. Make sure he doesnt use that garage AT ALL if he isnt going to pay for it and hes going to back out.

As far as the civic goes,yeah it sucks, i drive one too, but the gas mileage makes it worth it. I get passed by S2000s, RSXs, Other nicer cars that prob get the same gas mileage, but you know what, its just an all around cheaper car to own. You are doing yourself a favor by driving it and use your bike to "go fast and clear your head"

Keep the civic, buy a $40 headgasket and swap it out when you get time, but make sure its a headgasket.

As far as the garage goes, if $40 is going to put a big strain on you then you need to look at your other financial statements because you got something else going on . $40 shouldnt be a matter of life or death so like someone else said cut some other stuff out to make up for it.

Go out 1 night instead of 2 a week, eat out less, etc

yeah, you're prolly right....

another thing i just realized is that i've had to pay an extra 175 the last two months on rent because of my pet deposit... now that it's paid i should be fine...

i'm just worried about doing the headgasket myself...

last time i worked on an engine (also my first time) i didn't set the timing up and i screwed up everything and had to fork out a lot of cash to get things up and running again...

i know now to do so.. but i still am not sure how to.... ya know?

Killer
07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
How much for the bike?

right around the 2500 mark...

Sammich
07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
get a helms manual, a torque wrench and find a machine shop to resurface the head and you should be fine

Killer
07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
how much is bike insurance, do you pay every month or every 6 months? isnt the car and bike paid off?

both vehicles are paid off...

bike ins is like 130 something every 2 months... (roughly)

Leisa
07-07-2008, 09:51 AM
since you paid off your pet deposit, see how things go for you financially...

Vteckidd
07-07-2008, 09:53 AM
I mean i know how you feel , i just recently got medical coverage finally because i can afford it, but its still $177 a month extra.

I find myself limiting my going out, instead of eating out, ill go spend $200 on groceries and eat lunch and dinner at the house.

I only drive when i have to, i usually make people come over to my house.

CUt down on other stuff too, i just cut back my movie channels on comcast because i DL all my stuff now an i never watch TV. that saved me $45 a month.

I quit smoking so thats $80-100 a month im sure (used to smoke a pack a day)

Ran
07-07-2008, 09:54 AM
right around the 2500 mark...If you're serious about selling, hit me up via PM later.

Killer
07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
see i'm thinking if i sell the bike... for 2500... not only can i fix what's wrong with the civic.. but i can also do some upgrades...

fix the body... get the susp/brakes... maybe some wheels... and have something that i don't mind driving around... oh and fix the mother efing AC!!!

Killer
07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I mean i know how you feel , i just recently got medical coverage finally because i can afford it, but its still $177 a month extra.

I find myself limiting my going out, instead of eating out, ill go spend $200 on groceries and eat lunch and dinner at the house.

I only drive when i have to, i usually make people come over to my house.

CUt down on other stuff too, i just cut back my movie channels on comcast because i DL all my stuff now an i never watch TV. that saved me $45 a month.

I quit smoking so thats $80-100 a month im sure (used to smoke a pack a day)

we have basic cable..... no internet at the apt... and i do buy a couple hundred bucks worth of groceries each month and cook quite often...

i could prolly still cut back on eating out...

Crazy Asian
07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Use store brand groceries instead of name brand if you need to save. I always do that if I'm in a pinch.

willum14pb
07-07-2008, 10:54 AM
drinking is a useless expense. Stop drinking and you can live properly. Oh yea, kelly, she's a useless exspense as well. stop paying her for sex. :)

p.s. what model buell? For $2500 i might have to take it off your hands.

slostang
07-07-2008, 10:58 AM
eat vast amounts of ramen noodels.

Killer
07-07-2008, 11:00 AM
drinking is a useless expense. Stop drinking and you can live properly. Oh yea, kelly, she's a useless exspense as well. stop paying her for sex. :)

p.s. what model buell? For $2500 i might have to take it off your hands.

it's a buell blast.

492 cc

willum14pb
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
it's a buell blast.

492 cc

year/color/mileage?

twinj
07-07-2008, 11:13 AM
keep in mind if you did sell the bike. you cant buy any extra space inside of the civic. i would definitely wait it out though since you dont have to pay the pet fee.

Vteckidd
07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
If you drink alot cut back on it, or switch to liquor, usually cheaper than beer.

Since im on a diet, i can only drink Mich Ultra , i used to drink Brooklyn or other good beer and it was $10 a 6 pack.

Now its $7 for a 12 pack so its cheaper lol.

you can always buy Cheap liquor an mix it iwith something if you enjoy socially drinking, a $15 750ml bottle of liquor can go a long way.

Vteckidd
07-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I also buy lots of Soup, cant beat $0.99 a can, 120 calories!

Kevykev
07-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Punch your roomate in the ARM MAAAD HARD for failing to honor the agreement, oh and Sell the civic to me!!!

Sammich
07-07-2008, 11:37 AM
eat vast amounts of ramen noodels.

hello blood pressure

Alan®
07-07-2008, 11:42 AM
hello blood pressure
Werd. I'm in college and thats all a lot of my friends that live in mhy dorm building eat and I personally can eat the stuff every once in a while but not all the damn time.

Vteckidd
07-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Pasta or Soup is way better for you then Ramen

slostang
07-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Werd. I'm in college and thats all a lot of my friends that live in mhy dorm building eat and I personally can eat the stuff every once in a while but not all the damn time.

I enjoy the jdm style snack most of the time...

Sammich
07-07-2008, 11:47 AM

indeed...that stuff is sodium haven...i mean even if u use half a pack of the seasoning ur still screwed:lmfao:

Jecht
07-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Sell the Buell, fix the Civic, and don't spend any more money on the Civic after the repairs. If you are spread that thin, don't spend any extra money on modifying a car that you already find fault with. Save the money left over after repairs for when you need it.

BKgen®
07-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Get a vespa.

reasoning: Good gas mileage, and slightly less gay than a Civic.

You're welcome.

ShooterMcGavin
07-07-2008, 12:21 PM
get rid of that damn bike, you've had it for over a month now and other than seeing it parked, get knocked over, or sit in a garage, have seen it nowhere else (in other words, ain't seen you ride it anywhere).

plus, you don't need a bike to kill yourself, your crazy blueridge redneck antics will take care of that problem :D

Killer
07-07-2008, 01:31 PM
thanks for all the advice guys...

and drinking doesn't take up my money.. i don't drink that often... lol...

wayne son... you haven't seen me ride it cause i don't have my lic yet... was going to get it this next coming weekend.. i had to replace the turn signals after it was knocked over too...

kev... if i sell the civic.. i'll hit you up first....

eViLMunkey
07-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Get a vespa.

reasoning: Good gas mileage, and slightly less gay than a Civic.

You're welcome.

no vespa = flamer

Go w/ a smart car!

Killer
07-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Sell the Buell, fix the Civic, and don't spend any more money on the Civic after the repairs. If you are spread that thin, don't spend any extra money on modifying a car that you already find fault with. Save the money left over after repairs for when you need it.

yeah, i know what you mean... But pride kicks in... i don't mind driving a civic... but it's a pretty crappy one at that.. and i like to have something that at least looks and runs decently.. ya know???

on top of that.. without the garage i won't be able to do to many repairs myself! :(

i planned on fixing as much as possible myself and if i had to take it in to get the rest fixed... like the a/c.. i can't fix that... and was unsure about the head gasket.. the brakes/susp(i think)/clutch i was gonna do myself... i even bought some paint guns and was thinking about trying to spray it myself... (obviously nothing fancy)

ShooterMcGavin
07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
thanks for all the advice guys...

and drinking doesn't take up my money.. i don't drink that often... lol...

wayne son... you haven't seen me ride it cause i don't have my lic yet... was going to get it this next coming weekend.. i had to replace the turn signals after it was knocked over too...

kev... if i sell the civic.. i'll hit you up first....
:lmfao: then even more reason to sell it :slap:

Killer
07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
:lmfao: then even more reason to sell it :slap:

i just haven't had the chance to get one... doesn't mean i wasn't going to..

Scotsman
07-07-2008, 03:55 PM
i don't have any other useless expense really... (none that i can think of anyway...)

and yeah, working on my car was another reason i wanted the garage.kelly?!?!?:taun:

Crazy Asian
07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Thats not an expense...that's mandatory.

Killer
07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
kelly?!?!?:taun:

i know right!!! women! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

nah... she's pretty good about not charging me too much! lol

Scotsman
07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
i know right!!! women! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

nah... she's pretty good about not charging me too much! lolwish i could say the same:cry:

Killer
07-07-2008, 04:13 PM
wish i could say the same:cry:

lirl!!

MistaCee
07-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Lol sell the civic!

Killer
07-07-2008, 04:17 PM
what do ya'll think the civic is worth?

a/c is messed up...

needs a clutch (already have purchased the replacement... and it may be installed before sale.. may not)

needs rear left strut (i think)

and head gasket....

has 182,xxx...

other than the things mentioned it runs fine... gets great gas mileage too...

Psycho
07-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Half a ham sandwich

Killer
07-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Half a ham sandwich

made to order?

Psycho
07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Fine, but no mayo... You drive a hard bargain.

Killer
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Fine, but no mayo... You drive a hard bargain.

fine with me.. i hate mayo...

gotta have honey wheat bread though...

the spensive kind.. not some knock off store brand...

Crazy Asian
07-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Sell the freaking bike and fix the dang car. It maybe a lot but if I had a daily driver as a bike..uh no.

Crazy Asian
07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
And the car is not worth that much if you sell it. You're looking at least $1000 for the car if it has that much of repairs on it.

Killer
07-07-2008, 04:50 PM
And the car is not worth that much if you sell it. You're looking at least $1000 for the car if it has that much of repairs on it.

yeah... and at 1000.. i gain 300 dollars.. lol.. i bought it for 700!! lol

a friend didn't need it and i got it for a steal!!! lol... besides gas and an oil change only thing i've bought for the car is the clutch... so i don't really have any money invested in it...

Crazy Asian
07-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Oh really but ya sell the bike. You can always get another bike in the future.

Killer
07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Oh really but ya sell the bike. You can always get another bike in the future.

yeah, and if i do sell it.. i most def will be getting another in the future...

just when i have my own house/garage/place to leave my dog instead of taking him to work so that i can actually ride the bike!! lol

Jecht
07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
yeah, i know what you mean... But pride kicks in... i don't mind driving a civic... but it's a pretty crappy one at that.. and i like to have something that at least looks and runs decently.. ya know???

on top of that.. without the garage i won't be able to do to many repairs myself! :(

i planned on fixing as much as possible myself and if i had to take it in to get the rest fixed... like the a/c.. i can't fix that... and was unsure about the head gasket.. the brakes/susp(i think)/clutch i was gonna do myself... i even bought some paint guns and was thinking about trying to spray it myself... (obviously nothing fancy)

I guess so about the pride thing... idk since I've never had a "nice" car; my Mk3 Jetta has been the nicest car I've owned but I'm trying to sell it to save some money and fix my other Jetta. If you need a place to do repairs, just get my # from Ed or send me a PM. We have a decent concrete turnaround behind my house we always work on cars in that you could use if you really need a place.

Killer
07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I guess so about the pride thing... idk since I've never had a "nice" car; my Mk3 Jetta has been the nicest car I've owned but I'm trying to sell it to save some money and fix my other Jetta. If you need a place to do repairs, just get my # from Ed or send me a PM. We have a decent concrete turnaround behind my house we always work on cars in that you could use if you really need a place.

the montero was probably the nicest i've owned too... i'm not saying nice like how much it costs.. i just mean something that doesn't look like total crap!! lol..

yeah man.. i may do that... i may throw that clutch in so i can get a bit more out of the civic... or if i keep it i'll need it myself!!! lol.. thanks man!

IndianStig
07-07-2008, 06:13 PM
i would not sell the bike if it does not pose and extra cost, take it off insurance for a few months if you are in a jam and keep the garage to work on the civic and house the bike!

0p7!mu5
07-07-2008, 09:21 PM
**** for 2500 get a damn ruckus... they're only 2,100 i think brand new. Me and my roomate were lookin at one last night since his 240 and my crx are goin to hell

0p7!mu5
07-07-2008, 09:28 PM
keep both just cut back on things though seriously. like I have my car burning oil and in desperate need of a front bumper/fenders and my cd player went out and need to take off the heat shielding so i know how it is driving an embarassment. As much as I miss my GSR when i do get another teg my choices are eigther dd'n the crx or buyin a damn scooter.

c'mon 1.3gl= 105 mpg? hell i can roll 50mph for that.. **** $5 will last a month scooters ftw..

Killer
07-08-2008, 08:28 AM
i can't dd a scooter or a bike.... :( i take my dog to work everyday...

Killer
07-08-2008, 08:30 AM
i would not sell the bike if it does not pose and extra cost, take it off insurance for a few months if you are in a jam and keep the garage to work on the civic and house the bike!

if i dont' have ins.. i can't drive it.. and if i'm not gonna drive it there is no point in keeping it...

stillaneon
07-08-2008, 08:37 AM
yeah, you're prolly right....

another thing i just realized is that i've had to pay an extra 175 the last two months on rent because of my pet deposit... now that it's paid i should be fine...

i'm just worried about doing the headgasket myself...

last time i worked on an engine (also my first time) i didn't set the timing up and i screwed up everything and had to fork out a lot of cash to get things up and running again...

i know now to do so.. but i still am not sure how to.... ya know?

Killer, I hate to point out the obvious but you have 12000+ posts and an insane amount of reps. Something tells me that if you asked some people on here for help, the wouldnt mind doing it....... ****ing up the car would be the least of my concerns. See how your finances look now that the pet deposit is paid and take the car to a shop that will do a free estimate for you and find out what the problem is. Then do a simple cost analysis on whether you would be better off buying a cheap d-series or fixing whatevers wrong with your civic. COSMETICS are the the least of your concern....

Good luck though......

Killer
07-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Killer, I hate to point out the obvious but you have AN ENORMOUS E-PENIS!!!!! Something tells me that if you asked some people on here for help, the wouldnt mind doing it....... ****ing up the car would be the least of my concerns. See how your finances look now that the pet deposit is paid and take the car to a shop that will do a free estimate for you and find out what the problem is. Then do a simple cost analysis on whether you would be better off buying a cheap d-series or fixing whatevers wrong with your civic. COSMETICS are the the least of your concern....

Good luck though......

thanks for noticing.... lol...

yeah, you're right i could prolly find some people to help out...

but putting my faith in others on this site (that i don't know very well) hasn't ever really worked out in the past!! lol..

and getting it mechanically sound is def my priority.... cosmetics i can deal with.. but would prefer to clean it up as well...

ShooterMcGavin
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
i just haven't had the chance to get one... doesn't mean i wasn't going to..
good point. i saw a killer deal on a semi rig the other day, think i'm gonna go ahead and buy it, then rent a big garage to park it in....bc i have every intention of getting a cdl any day now...:lmao:

ShooterMcGavin
07-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Killer, I hate to point out the obvious but you have 12000+ posts and an insane amount of reps. Something tells me that if you asked some people on here for help, the wouldnt mind doing it....... ****ing up the car would be the least of my concerns. See how your finances look now that the pet deposit is paid and take the car to a shop that will do a free estimate for you and find out what the problem is. Then do a simple cost analysis on whether you would be better off buying a cheap d-series or fixing whatevers wrong with your civic. COSMETICS are the the least of your concern....

Good luck though......
el oh el, are you insinuating post count and e-reps = street cred? :lmfao: if that's the case then brett should be gahdamn al capone on the streets :lmao:

Killer
07-08-2008, 11:16 AM
good point. i saw a killer deal on a semi rig the other day, think i'm gonna go ahead and buy it, then rent a big garage to park it in....bc i have every intention of getting a cdl any day now...:lmao:

........ wayne... most people that buy their first bike.. do not have their bike lic before they buy it...

jack ass....

this is something i really wanted.. something i've wanted for a long time... it wasn't an impulse buy... i finally had the finances to do so.. so i did... i didn't spend extra money on it either... i used the money i made from selling the montero to get it...

this was more thought through than just..

"oooooooo a bike... i'm gonna buy it... then not ride it"

i just haven't had the time to make it to BR where i'm getting my lic...

ShooterMcGavin
07-08-2008, 11:21 AM
........ wayne... most people that buy their first bike.. do not have their bike lic before they buy it...

jack ass....

this is something i really wanted.. something i've wanted for a long time... it wasn't an impulse buy... i finally had the finances to do so.. so i did... i didn't spend extra money on it either... i used the money i made from selling the montero to get it...

this was more thought through than just..

"oooooooo a bike... i'm gonna buy it... then not ride it"

i just haven't had the time to make it to BR where i'm getting my lic...
lol, ok first of all, i was just giving you grief.....but with regards to above bolded statements....if you did have plenty of excess finances for the bike and thought it all through, then why this poll to decide if you should get rid of the bike, or the civic?

81911SC
07-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Good luck though......I have more rep then killer, online and in real life.

ShooterMcGavin
07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I have more rep then killer, online and in real life.
you don't exist in real life...

Killer
07-08-2008, 11:30 AM
lol, ok first of all, i was just giving you grief.....but with regards to above bolded statements....if you did have plenty of excess finances for the bike and thought it all through, then why this poll to decide if you should get rid of the bike, or the civic?

because, i had the finances for the bike.. the insurance... and to buy the parts for the civic...

i didn't expect to have to do more work with the civic... i knew the clutch and a/c were messed up... didn't know it was gonna need the head gasket/suspension.

further more... i didn't expect my room mate to not keep his half of the deal on the garage...

the garage is key for me... not just for storage... but to give me a place to work on the civic... without that space i can't do all the work on the civic myself...

him bailing on the garage was what prompted this thread...

ShooterMcGavin
07-08-2008, 11:31 AM
because, i had the finances for the bike.. the insurance... and to buy the parts for the civic...

i didn't expect to have to do more work with the civic... i knew the clutch and a/c were messed up... didn't know it was gonna need the head gasket/suspension.

further more... i didn't expect my room mate to not keep his half of the deal on the garage...

the garage is key for me... not just for storage... but to give me a place to work on the civic... without that space i can't do all the work on the civic myself...

him bailing on the garage was what prompted this thread...
then you didn't REALLY think it through thoroughly ahead of time ;) :tongue1:

Killer
07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
then you didn't REALLY think it through thoroughly ahead of time ;) :tongue1:

that is outta my control....

he depends on his parents completely..... so he doesn't make his own rules..

turd.

ShooterMcGavin
07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
that is outta my control....

he depends on his parents completely..... so he doesn't make his own rules..

turd.
you didn't have your finances planned out to be able to account for unforeseen circumstances, so just admit it :tongue1:

81911SC
07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Me>Wayne

Killer
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
you didn't have your finances planned out to be able to account for unforeseen circumstances, so just admit it :tongue1:

you're right.. i never planned on paying 100 bucks a month to rent a garage...

considering that's what my biggest problem is...

ShooterMcGavin
07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Me>Wayne
doesn't matter, you don't exist in real life.

ShooterMcGavin
07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
you're right.. i never planned on paying 100 bucks a month to rent a garage...

considering that's what my biggest problem is...
self realization is the 1st step to recovery, so i hear...congrats! :goodjob: :D

Killer
07-08-2008, 02:46 PM
self realization is the 1st step to recovery, so i hear...congrats! :goodjob: :D

i hate you wayne...

ironchef
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
So much love in this thread.

ShooterMcGavin
07-08-2008, 03:04 PM
i hate you wayne...
you <3 me and you know it fag

Killer
07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
lol!