PDA

View Full Version : LS/Vtec???

Negrodamus
08-24-2005, 02:23 AM
Whats sooooo special about it? Why put a b16 head on a ls block when you can put it on a b16 block with out any modifications. why put a high revving vtec head on a 7k rpm ls block. now i understand maybe a b16 head on a ls block for boost or if you really want that 'torque' lol. but it makes no sense to me. i have been debating ls vtec for a couple of hrs now that i have a b16a2 head and a ls block. but why???? i mean it sounds cool " LS/Vtec" oooooh. or if you have a LS/CRV head and you wanna go with a vtec head for that purdy VTEC valve cover but c'mon.

What is so good about it????

Sleepin Hatch
08-24-2005, 08:19 AM
its vtec foooo!

BlkCD5
08-24-2005, 01:24 PM
from what i hear, it puts out more power than a regular Gsr. Something about the bore and stroke in the LS motor being different than the Gsr motor. Correct me if im wrong but i asked this ? to a performance shop and they told me whats up. I never knew that this "frankenstein" setup could be a monster. I talked to this guy with an Ek9 and he mentioned that he had the setup. I looked and saw that he did. Mentioned about killing Gsr's all the time. This setup is becoming more common though. I heard its high maintenence though. That is if people don't install it right. I think this applies to the H23 too. Putting a H22 head on a H23 block, but you rarely hear about that. If you remember the MTV's episode of true life: I'm a street racer, you see will and that guy argue over the race. The famous quote, "The only reason you backing out now, is cus you F!@#%$@ scared of the all motor LS/Vtec against your supercharged nitrous" :lmfao:

NzProjeKt
08-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Whats sooooo special about it? Why put a b16 head on a ls block when you can put it on a b16 block with out any modifications. why put a high revving vtec head on a 7k rpm ls block. now i understand maybe a b16 head on a ls block for boost or if you really want that 'torque' lol. but it makes no sense to me. i have been debating ls vtec for a couple of hrs now that i have a b16a2 head and a ls block. but why???? i mean it sounds cool " LS/Vtec" oooooh. or if you have a LS/CRV head and you wanna go with a vtec head for that purdy VTEC valve cover but c'mon.

YO SON IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO GO WITH THE LS/VTEC...
LET ME GET THAT B16 HEAD ASAP SO I CAN...

Vteckidd
08-24-2005, 03:33 PM

1) Its a cheap way to have a VTEC motor, thats what it was always about. LS blocks are $100. GSR blocks are $500-700. For the guys back in the day with LS motors, instead of buying a complete new longblock, you could just buy a head.

2) LS block has a 89mm Stroke vs the GSR 87mm stroke. B20 block has 84mm bore compared to the GSR/B16/LS bore of 81mm. more stroke=more HP/TQ, bigger bore= more HP and TQ

3) LS/VTEC or B20 VTECs are cheaper to build and make decent power.

4) STOCK LS VTECS make about the same numbers as a GSR. hey are around 145-155whp depending on whether you use the b16 or GSR head. B20vtecs make around 155-160whp, but they make 7-10 more ft/lbs of TQ.

CONS:
1) not as reliable as a VTEC block. Vtec motors were made to rev high. they have stronger,thicker rods. They have oil squirters, they have shorter strokes. they have stronger rod bolts, better bearing designs. a better water pump.

2)LS/B20 Blocks do not have girdles and other things vtec blcoks have. GSR blocks have Girdles across the mains to help stabilize the crank at high rpms. the b16 has such a short stroke it doesnt need a girdle. The GSR rods also use a rod bearing that is 2mm more narrow for better oil distribution to the rods at high rpms.

3) LS heads flow like crap. they use a 31mm valve compared to the 33mm Vtec valves. the heads also have much more narrow valve throats than the vtec heads.

STOCK,STOCK,STOCK LS VTEC WILL MAKE MORE POWER THAN A STOCK LS. about 15whp more. Vtec heads breath MUCH better than a LS head, and they let you rev a little higher. on a stock LS bottom end i would not rev above 8000rpms.

if you are on a budget it is worth it. if you have money to spend, i would almost always reccomend a vtec block over a non vtec if you are staying stock internals. i know for a fact that STOCK GSR blocks can handle 9000rpms and b16s can handle 9500rpms. LS bottoms cannot

99SI
08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
^^^that ought to answer your question right there. lol

mp5o
08-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Nice... +1 vteckidd

*edit*"You must spread blahblahblah"

LS2ner
08-25-2005, 05:46 PM
basically what vteckidd said. oh and dont use the b16 head, use the GSR.

94Teghatch
08-25-2005, 10:35 PM
LOL who eva said ls/vtecs get about the same horse as a gsr was told wrong or didnt build his!
I had a stock Ls/Vtec and was beating type-r by half a car!
With 197hp to the wheels stock!
I built the Ls/Vtec with pistons rods barings stroker kit sleaved all the works and now have 247hp to the wheel with no bolt on mods so im choking the f*ck out of my motor now with out an intake exhaust all that good stuff!
Ive had some on but i wanted better ones!

Go to the rite place and do it rite the first time you can have yours for 4 years no problem like me and still running fine readlined everyday

BTW it in a gutted 94 civic hatch

Vteckidd
08-26-2005, 10:02 AM
LOL who eva said ls/vtecs get about the same horse as a gsr was told wrong or didnt build his!
I have a Dynojet that proves you wrong. i have dynoed more cars with stock motors and built motors that you prob have ever seen. STOCK IE STOCK LS BLOCK, STOCK GSR HEAD/STOCK CAMS, STOCK MANIFOLD, make about the same power as a GSR. ill post dynos if you want.

I had a stock Ls/Vtec and was beating type-r by half a car!
thats cause your in a lighter chassis, idiot

With 197hp to the wheels stock!
No Honda makes 197whp STOCK, unless its an S2000. ITRs make around 170whp. with bolt ons they can make 180whp.

I built the Ls/Vtec with pistons rods barings stroker kit sleaved all the works and now have 247hp to the wheel with no bolt on mods
Bullshit. i know PERSONALLY who has the highest whp all motor honda in the state. He used to work for Street Stuff in athens. It was a black EF, he made 237whp B series , it was a JG built motor, Abacus Racing Dynoed it. He also had a 280whp SOHC F22 motor that was from Bisi Ezirohia's car.
If your car makes that much power, POST A DYNO. and you cant make that power without "bolt ons", unles you have nitrous

so im choking the f*ck out of my motor now with out an intake exhaust all that good stuff!
Ive had some on but i wanted better ones!
So you make 247whp without an intake and witha stock exhaust.? what dream world do you live in. sorry man, i dont know who you are, if you made those numbers you would be somebody, and i would have heard of you. stop E-DYNOING

Go to the rite place and do it rite the first time you can have yours for 4 years no problem like me and still running fine readlined everyday
who built it? what compression is your motor, what camshafts, what header, What were the rod bearing clearances at half thou or one and a half thou, what was your ring gap set to, what bore and stroke is the motor? answer me those questions billy bad ass.

i hate when retards come in a ruin a perfectly good thread :gay:

99SI
08-26-2005, 10:31 AM
hahahahahahahahaha, OMG, hahahahahahahahahaha, breathe... breathe. ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. That's funny as shit when people talk numbers that don't know what they're talking about. I believe that he made 197 at the crank but I doubt 247 even at the crank, you're still talking around 205-210whp if you're making 247 at the crank. Why do people lie????

99SI
08-26-2005, 10:33 AM
I think that he should go onto Honda Tech and put a post up claiming those numbers. lol. That would be some entertainment

dwnsthGABOY
08-26-2005, 05:03 PM
I have a Dynojet that proves you wrong. i have dynoed more cars with stock motors and built motors that you prob have ever seen. STOCK IE STOCK LS BLOCK, STOCK GSR HEAD/STOCK CAMS, STOCK MANIFOLD, make about the same power as a GSR. ill post dynos if you want.

No Honda makes 197whp STOCK, unless its an S2000. ITRs make around 170whp. with bolt ons they can make 180whp.

Bullshit. i know PERSONALLY who has the highest whp all motor honda in the state. He used to work for Street Stuff in athens. It was a black EF, he made 237whp B series , it was a JG built motor, Abacus Racing Dynoed it. He also had a 280whp SOHC F22 motor that was from Bisi Ezirohia's car.
If your car makes that much power, POST A DYNO. and you cant make that power without "bolt ons", unles you have nitrous

So you make 247whp without an intake and witha stock exhaust.? what dream world do you live in. sorry man, i dont know who you are, if you made those numbers you would be somebody, and i would have heard of you. stop E-DYNOING

who built it? what compression is your motor, what camshafts, what header, What were the rod bearing clearances at half thou or one and a half thou, what was your ring gap set to, what bore and stroke is the motor? answer me those questions billy bad ass.

:smileowne :lmfao:

Julio
08-26-2005, 07:44 PM

owned.

RISKYB
08-27-2005, 08:41 AM
that was the dummest thing i have ever heard,great ownage vteckidd +1

eViLMunkey
08-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Matter's if you go with a b20 block or b18b block on the stroke & bore... the b20 block is like a 92mm stroke... and produces more power (especially under boost) than the GS-R in the end....

Vteckidd
08-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Matter's if you go with a b20 block or b18b block on the stroke & bore... the b20 block is like a 92mm stroke... and produces more power (especially under boost) than the GS-R in the end....

B20 block=LS block with bigger bore

B20 Block=84mm BORE and 89mm STROKE
LS Block=81mm BORE and 89mm STROKE

the b20 and ls use the same CRANK AND RODS.
NA or BOOST the B20 is pretty powerfull. but it has limits. B20 blocks use a different type of sleeve that is actually somewhat thinner than a standard B series sleeve.

GSR blocks can make 450whp with stock sleeves, so can LS motors. but B20 block i havent heard of any making over 350whp on stock sleeves without the sleeves giving out.

the only B20 with a bigger stroke is the old B20A's from the 89-91 prelude. they had a 95mm stroke

eViLMunkey
08-27-2005, 12:25 PM
oh ok I misread that Honda tuner that had it in there... I thought d15's have a decent stroke and bore....

MrEG62U
08-27-2005, 01:38 PM
i guess veteckidd cleared that up for the ignorant

eViLMunkey
08-27-2005, 04:54 PM
well he knows his shiznit foo....

LS2ner
08-27-2005, 09:15 PM
i think the d15's had shorter stroke, similiar to the b16 and have a smaller bore aswell. not sure tho. that f22 motor bisi used was frickin insane too.