PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods ugh. any ideas?

Catnip
07-01-2008, 04:32 PM
So a friend and I completely re-did all my intercooler piping. The old piping was ghetto and pieced together. Some places didn't even have couplers and some places were held together by a coupler and a screw going through it and the pipes. Some how, it held 18 psi.

Now, the new piping fits together better and is in much better shape. Every "joint" is tighter and everything looks good. Here's the problem, upon boosting it sounds more like a kenne bell (kind of a whistling whine) than a turbo, and it won't go past like 10 psi. Any ideas? It's annoying we spent all that time and :2cents: redoing it, and it's even slower. Anytime I've ever had a boost leak, it makes a blowing sound, but it isn't.

Big J
07-01-2008, 09:04 PM
how far did you stick the IC piping into the intercooler? Low boost, every time.

Catnip
07-01-2008, 10:50 PM
how far did you stick the IC piping into the intercooler? Low boost, every time.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I doubt it's from the intercooler area. On each side we put the best/nicest couplers and t-bolt clamps. It's on there good.

Kyle
07-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Im practically retarded but I say leak.

patrick4588
07-02-2008, 01:33 AM
the whistling might be your turbo over spinning trying to reach the set psi. sounds like a BIG leak somewhere. have you pressure tested the system yet?

Catnip
07-02-2008, 01:51 AM
the whistling might be your turbo over spinning trying to reach the set psi. sounds like a BIG leak somewhere. have you pressure tested the system yet?

It didn't make the whistling/whine with the old set-up at any setting on the boost controller though.
But no doubt I have a big leak, I think it's right in front of my face and I don't see it though.

patrick4588
07-02-2008, 02:09 AM
you are missing what im saying. it wouldnt make the whistling since the wastegate is opening and regulating your boost. what im saying is that say your turbo is spinning to 30psi but its all leaking out and only 10 is going thru the system. bring it up to my work some time tomorrow and ill take a quick look over everything and see if i find anything

Catnip
07-02-2008, 02:24 AM
you are missing what im saying. it wouldnt make the whistling since the wastegate is opening and regulating your boost. what im saying is that say your turbo is spinning to 30psi but its all leaking out and only 10 is going thru the system. bring it up to my work some time tomorrow and ill take a quick look over everything and see if i find anything

Makes sense now. haha.
What time is good? I don't get off work untill about 5pm.