PDA

View Full Version : Classic Mustang engine swap

Deke
07-01-2008, 05:13 AM
So, I've pretty much decided that somewhere down the road I'm going to be purchasing a 67-68 fastback and turn it into a daily driver. Now this is going to be sometime away (after I get out of Tech and start actually getting a salary), but I've been kind of bored lately and have wanted to do some reading on it. I used to own a 68 fastback GT (and miss it a lot), so I know a lot about the car in general, but I'm thinking that I'd want to swap a 90s 5.0 fuel injected engine into it (or possibly some other fuel injected mustang engine) just for reliability and driveability's sake.

So yeah, any of you mustang guys know a good website or a forum where I might be able to read up on the subject? I know people have done this swap.

Thanks!

yogi08
07-01-2008, 05:27 AM
I have a 66 forsale, 289 all original :)

mustangforums.com
svtperformance.com

silversol
07-01-2008, 10:23 AM
i am in the process of doing it in my 67 mustang. i still need a doner car tho. but if you could get the whole engine dropout with the trans and skip a doner car! might as well up grade to overdrive trans while you at it! the 5.0 will bolt it but you will need a aftermarket crossmember for the trans. here are a few links i found.

here is the cheepest harness i found. only 3 wires to run!
http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=3

the fuel related kit
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/keyword.asp?Keywords=67+efi+kit&x=19&y=13
you will need a few more small things like the cross member, spedo cable, and the make a linkage rod to mount the trans linkage to your original one.

good luck! if you need any help let me know!

OneSlow5pt0
07-01-2008, 05:18 PM
hope u get it done,will be nice car...........LS1 mustang =]
j/k the 302 is my fav ford engine

GangstaCoupe
07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I have used the mustangs unlimited kit on 2 older cars I have built. Its pretty straight forward and save alot of time compared to the first time I did it and hacked a 5.0 donor cars harness.

Here is one of the better efi sites as far as how-to goes, it has some decent links on it also.

As for mustang forums and svt stay out of them too many douche bags that dont know ****. If you want a good mustang site as far as vintage stangs go try mustangsandmore.com and hardcore50.com has alot of good people on it.

Deke
07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
hope u get it done,will be nice car...........LS1 mustang =]
j/k the 302 is my fav ford engine

Blasphemy!!!

Haha, yeah my old stang had a 302 in it. Of course it was a 1968 4-barrel 302 and none of this fancy fuel injected stuff. But I definitely feel some sort of sentimentality to the 302.