PDA

View Full Version : Power steering leak = car on fire?

yogi08
06-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Two weeks ago i was driving down 301-bypass, i saw smoke coming out from underthe hood. My first thought was "damn i knew i shouldnt of let ben rig that battery terminal up". I ran a redlight flippin out, i was at a dead stop and looked both ways but this light was literally STUCK. I pull onto 67 and pull over into the BP gas station. I pop the hood and see a glow behind the motor. I flip out, run inside and the guy behind the counter laughs at me... literally declines giving me a fire-estigushier(sp?). The fire was slowing dying as the car was off but the onlythiing i can see that started the fire was my powersteering lines that are ran on the firewall had a hole in them facing the block. Spraying the powersteering fluid onto it, and the heat from the motor making it go up in flames. Thats the onlything i can think of that caused it, but it was scary as hell really. Turns out my Ex-GF's brother is now one of the managers there and got the guy fired for not giving me a estiguisher. Really wanted to ask would that powersteering leak cause the flames? I tried lighting some powersteering fluid on fire but it wouldnt catch on fire. May of been old?

Thanks in advaced.

seanrg1116
06-30-2008, 06:34 AM
yea it can happen it used to happen to me in my old 300zx that had a power steering leak.

redrumracer
06-30-2008, 03:24 PM
ya it can catch on fire, just has a higher temp at which it catches fire

Homer Simpson
06-30-2008, 07:22 PM
dude, wtf?

the douche behind the counter wouldn't give you a fire putter-out thingy?!

fag.

X-Runner
06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
It sure will, trans fluid can also.

integra82786
07-01-2008, 05:36 PM
its all a petroleum substance, put enough heat to it and its gonna ignite

khaxnguyen
07-03-2008, 11:25 PM
LOLOL to the guy that didnt give you the fire extinguisher. lol tsk tsk.. what a coincidence you're X's bro was manager. buahaha. and i angree what integra82786. lol

G.C
07-04-2008, 12:24 PM
dam sorry to hear that. time to get your Rougar out and go hunting for the Guy that didnt give you the fire extinguisher.

RWD164
07-04-2008, 07:51 PM
You are lucky the fire put itself out. I had a car (1966 Alfa Romeo) Break a fuel fitting on the mechanical pump and burst into flames in my driveway. Opening the hood made it much worse. Though, it is probably better you did not use the extinguisher, becuase that powder is really hard to clean out of an engine, speaking from experience.