PDA

View Full Version : Safety Class

Chuckster
06-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm looking for a motorcycle safety class around the Kennesaw/Acworth area. I have searched and searched online but no luck. I know there is a huge Yamaha and Suzuki building in Kennesaw but I can't find any info on them. I do know about the Honda safety class in Roswell but I don't want to drive that far.

markopolo311
06-29-2008, 07:38 PM
The Yamaha warehouse is in Kennesaw, no classes there. I'm pretty sure that the state operated class is in Acworth, but it's usually booked up a few months in advance.

Smittie61984
06-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Here are some centers...
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=GA

I heard the Alpharetta Honda one is the best. They go into the best details and won't pass you unless you deserve it. A lot of places will pass you because they feel they owe you for paying for it.

But props for taking it. I wish I did and probably still will one day.

Chuckster
06-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for that link. Will be making some calls tommorow.

Yea, I have heard the same about the Honda class.

Smittie61984
06-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Just curious but do you have a bike? If not what kind do you plan to get?

Chuckster
06-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Just curious but do you have a bike? If not what kind do you plan to get?

Nope no bike. I'm not sure what kind of bike I want. I would love HD's but they are to expensive. Only HD I can afford are the Sportsters. I think for an 07 750 sportster is like $7,000. But I dont care for the sporters. So HD's are out for right now. I've been looking at 600's like the R6, GSXR, CBRRR, and Ninja's. The only one I have not sat on yet is a GSXR and out of them all its my fav. in looks. Would love a blue/white I think that is soooo hawt.

I have heard that the R6 is the best bike to get out of those. And the GSXR is not a good bike to start out on.

What are your thoughts? I have never riden a bike b4. I have only sat on them and revved the **** out of them.

Smittie61984
06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
No Race Replica 600 is a good bike to start on. New 600s are wicked powerful and put out the same horsepower to the wheel as older litre bikes except they weigh much less.

All the 600s are very similar. The GSXRs are known for having a lot of their power towards the top. I haven't liked them and prefer the power curve of the CBRs. I haven't been on a R6 but heard they have a great power curve even though the CBRs power curve is more street oriented.

Plus R6's have a history of having the tanks catch fire from crashes (which is more likely for a newbie).

I'd recommend getting a used bike above all. My first bike was a 1994 Yamaha SecaII that I picked up for $1500. Nothing fast but a fun bike and a good one to learn on...
Here is me racing a 350z. As you can see nothing great but again being a newbie you are going to make mistakes (Such as my gear selection)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1VCVN4UZ30

After a few months or riding and putting on roughly 4k miles I sold the bike and bought a 1996 CBR600 F3 that was basically in peices. I rebuilt it myself and also got it dynoed. I got 77.89hp to the rear wheel on a Factory Pro dyno. It was running way rich and once I change my jets I shoul get about 85-90hp to the rear. Again new bikes are putting down 110-120 stock. But here is video of me running it. It can get up and move. Plus I love passing people on bran new Litres in the mountains on my ragged out bike. Not saying I'm super fast but I seem to be faster than a lot of people who think you have to have the newest biggest baddest bike to be fast...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UffB6Yt6aR8

Bikes I recommend are the GS500s or even the SV650s which are great beginner bikes you'll never get bored with. Don't believe me. Here is a SV1000 and a SV650 at Deal's Gap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9gSsTcYsRk

Turbo Terrance
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Im taking the safety class in the beginning of September but im buying a bike on my birthday in August....

SampaGuy
06-30-2008, 06:23 PM
these classes are like $1k right?

Turbo Terrance
06-30-2008, 07:23 PM
these classes are like $1k right?

well the Department of Driver Saftey one is $250 for 3 days.... M,T,W, or F,S,SUN the first day is 6p - 10p and the other days are from 8a - 6p

The Honda one in Alpharetta is the same price i think....

Chuckster
06-30-2008, 09:00 PM
1k? **** no. The Honda class is $250 3 days 2 hours per day.

Yea, Eli is selling his sv650(which I need to call him) We will see what I end up getting.

Smittie61984
06-30-2008, 09:27 PM
The SV650s are the way to go. Though my next bike will probably be either a new 600rr (A year or two from now) or possibly a GSXR750 (Calling them "Gixxers" sounds gay. Just say no). I have considered getting a SV650 since I generally only ride hard in the mountains which is where they do great. That or I'm going to go to a SV1000 or a RC51 (You don't need to do that). But those are torque monsters and the RC51s are ungodly uncomortable (especially when you pin th gas from 2k and your penis presses against the tank)

Oh you can go to Racing schools for $1000. The MSF is nowhere close. Also don't neglect the Harley riding schools. They are pretty good too (despite most of their owners are pure squid)

Chuckster
06-30-2008, 10:02 PM
I have heard that the HD classes are around $600.

Smittie61984
06-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Nah. I know someone who just took one and he paid $250

SampaGuy
07-01-2008, 04:20 PM
but is that the one that they provide the bikes?

Turbo Terrance
07-01-2008, 04:34 PM
but is that the one that they provide the bikes?

Yea they provide bikes

Smittie61984
07-01-2008, 06:08 PM
All safety classes provide bikes. I think mainly for insurance reasons.

They'd rather you muck up a Ninja250/blast/rebel than try and teach some genius who went out and got a brand new GSXR1000 with no riding experience. Who then grabs too much throttle and shoots into the roadway or harming other riders taking the course. Which would then get them sued.

But remember. Just because you pass the course doesn't mean you are ready for the road. Only you can be the judge of that.

Chuckster
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Woot woot I just registered. On standby for oct 3-5. If I don't get into that class. Dates are Oct. 24-26. I can't beleive how full these classes are. If I would of registered at Honda it would have been sept 12. but I perfer to wait a month for something alot closer. The class is only 5 miles down the road from me. Honda is 24 miles from me, yea **** that.

They Provide Bike and Helmet. What you need to bring are full fingered gloves, Over the ankle boots, long sleeve shirt or jacket, long pants, ID, and a pen or pencil.

Turbo Terrance
07-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Woot woot I just registered. On standby for oct 3-5. If I don't get into that class. Dates are Oct. 24-26. I can't beleive how full these classes are. If I would of registered at Honda it would have been sept 12. but I perfer to wait a month for something alot closer. The class is only 5 miles down the road from me. Honda is 24 miles from me, yea **** that.

They Provide Bike and Helmet. What you need to bring are full fingered gloves, Over the ankle boots, long sleeve shirt or jacket, long pants, ID, and a pen or pencil.

shouldve registered a few months in advance......

Chuckster
07-01-2008, 08:29 PM
eeeh no biggie Im in no rush.

Turbo Terrance
07-01-2008, 08:42 PM
eeeh no biggie Im in no rush.

Yea hopefully this winter isnt too bad.....because I plan on riding though out the winter too....

Smittie61984
07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Cool deal man. Best of luck to you on that plus mad props for taking the course. A lot of people won't do that.

Tech5
07-03-2008, 03:52 AM
good luck

_Christian_
07-03-2008, 04:17 AM
That or I'm going to go to a SV1000 or a RC51 (You don't need to do that). Why not the TLR?

Woot woot I just registered. On standby for oct 3-5. If I don't get into that class. Dates are Oct. 24-26. I can't beleive how full these classes are. If I would of registered at Honda it would have been sept 12.
Wow. That much in advance? Do you pay when you register, or when classes start? I just got my motorcycle permit and I'm looking to take a class very soon.

Chuckster
07-03-2008, 05:53 AM
Why not the TLR?

Wow. That much in advance? Do you pay when you register, or when classes start? I just got my motorcycle permit and I'm looking to take a class very soon.

You pay $250 when you register.

Smittie61984
07-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Why not the TLR?

You mean the TLR1000 "Widowmaker"??? I love htem and think they sound cool as hell. But never liked the size of them and they are notorious dangerous in the turns. Which is where I do my hardest riding. I would love one to cruise around on.

DC5Integra
07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know of a safety class that is taught on Ninja 250's? I searched the list in the link on page one, but no Kawi dealerships are on there. All the others I can find are on Buell Blasts or Honda Rebels. Those would be fine, but I'm leaning towards buying the Ninja, so I'd rather get some some seat time on one.

Tarzanman
07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I haven't heard of anyone teaching BRC classes on a Kawi 250. It won't matter all that much which 250 you use for BRC anyway.

ruah_23
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know of a safety class that is taught on Ninja 250's? I searched the list in the link on page one, but no Kawi dealerships are on there. All the others I can find are on Buell Blasts or Honda Rebels. Those would be fine, but I'm leaning towards buying the Ninja, so I'd rather get some some seat time on one.

You can actually take the basic MSF course at honda Alpharetta.When U complete it,u can actually sign up for the advance course.This is where you bring your own bike and get comfortable with it.