PDA

View Full Version : fiber glass?

BarnDog296
08-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know any shops in town that do a decent job at doing fiberglass for my hatchback?

Actually, since I dont have alot of cash, does anyone know a website where I could learn to do fiberglass? I am good at doing things myself, but i just dont understand fiberglass yet and i think a how-to site or something would be great!

I am totally up for learning new things, and i think my group could really use a body person since they are no show and all go, and none of them know anything about body work. I would love to get into it.

Spyder
08-23-2005, 05:36 PM
There was a nice "how to" on the old forum and i thought it was reposted here, guess not.. but its not hard to do, im sure if you search the web there are plenty of post on forums about it :)

BarnDog296
08-23-2005, 08:31 PM
I am really good at googling and i can find some things, but most of it is past the basics, and are like "try this out too"
and i am like "WHAT ABOUT THE FIRST STEPS!?!?"

5thgcelica
08-23-2005, 09:54 PM
IM me.. ill give ya a few tips.

Spyder
08-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Results 1 - 10 of about 107,000 for fiberglass basics. (0.29 seconds) :D
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fiberglass+basics

here is a basic site that starts with the simple shit and moves from there...
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=62

go from there and ask any questions you may have, basically once you start to mess with it , its self explanitory...

BarnDog296
08-24-2005, 05:46 AM
Alright, I think I understand fiberglass on its own now. (I think ive understood the basics for a little bit now)
After reading article after article - I kept thinking to myself, "they all say the same thing" I think the thing that I really dont understand is how to build ornate boxes for subs and things like that. I really want to build a good audio system ni the back of my car, and would like to be able to help people in my crew do the same - along with help some of drifters with their body work eventually.
But the important thing to me, is the boxes - for instance the cirlces, and attaching everything in curves... i just dont get it

I have attached a complex example to show what i mean

aaronfelipe
08-24-2005, 06:01 AM
WOW!

BarnDog296
08-24-2005, 06:11 AM
yeah, it LOOKS hot, but they are all Sony Xplode series - which sound AWFUL!
but they look nice... so, what can you do?

can anyone help me out?

Spyder
08-24-2005, 10:29 AM

can anyone help me out?

I can do that :D seriously.. I can.

The basic thing I posted tells you how to start and do all the basic stuff.. basically you need to make a form from some type of material (wood is popular) then you need a material that will absorb resin and is strechy you take the basic form you made with wood and strech the material over it and then staple it TIGHT so it doesnt move especially under the weight of the resin soaked cloth. from there you just build up until it suites your needs.. if it is a speaker box for a 2000watt 15 it needs to be thick.. if it is a amp rack cover it doesnt have to be so thick, but it does have to be sturdy.

Once you have a nice shape and its strong enough its time to start making it pretty. Use bondo, among other things to smooth out the surface after a rough sanding.. once you have the shape you need finish it off by using finer and finer grit sand paper until it is smooth as glass. then primer and paint it, or cover it in a choice finish.. show it off to all your friends and become a super star!

Allstar3.8T
08-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Ive been doin Fglass for 10+ years, and I still say in the end its CHEAPER and better to let a pro do it. Mine look great, sound great, and fit great. Its just that someone that does it every day for a year has 10x my experience of 10 yrs once/twice a year..Also, thier materials are a FAR greater quality than a 1 gallon jug of Bondo brand f'glass resin. There is a BIG difference...(longevity of the piece)
Do yourself a favor and atleast make a call to Traffic Jams, (770-271-3772)talk to Jeff or Dan, and see what they CAN do in YOUR budget. You may be suprised.
Greg

BarnDog296
08-24-2005, 02:53 PM
the thing is that i already have all the parts I want installed and I already know what im looking for (im a designer) I already know what i want it to look like. I just have little money a month - i do ONE big project a month, and i put my money into that, but i doubt they could build out something for my monthly and I REALLY like the do-it yourself option just b/c i love to learn about everything. Thanx for the number though, I will call them up. But if they cant fit it in my budget, then I have to figure this thing out alone, and im cool with that.

Spyder
08-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Ive been doin Fglass for 10+ years, and I still say in the end its CHEAPER and better to let a pro do it. Mine look great, sound great, and fit great. Its just that someone that does it every day for a year has 10x my experience of 10 yrs once/twice a year..Also, thier materials are a FAR greater quality than a 1 gallon jug of Bondo brand f'glass resin. There is a BIG difference...(longevity of the piece)
Do yourself a favor and atleast make a call to Traffic Jams, (770-271-3772)talk to Jeff or Dan, and see what they CAN do in YOUR budget. You may be suprised.
Greg

You are right about letting someone do it that has experiance if you want it done once and done right, I however like to mess with my own things. I have done a decent amount of glass work and I have found that there is something to be proud of when people are like "holy shit that looks good.. who did it?" and you can smile back and say "me"

After you mess with fiberglass on a few different projects you will come to find what works and what doesnt, what materials you need that are expensive and ultra high quality and which ones you can use as a cheap alternative.. which materials you need to use to build a sub enclosure instead of a crossover or amp cover. For those who like to try new things, enjoy working with their hands and aren't afraid to make a mess and waste a little time and/or money to be gain a skill in the end, fiber glass is a great medium.

chmura
08-24-2005, 06:13 PM

can anyone help me out?

we can help u out.....

IM me...

tluve69
08-26-2005, 09:26 PM
if you serious about getting one done drop me a pm I used to run a shop up north and that all we did were custom enclosures mdf, fiberglass you name it. reasonable price as well.

chuck
08-26-2005, 10:36 PM
There was a nice "how to" on the old forum and i thought it was reposted here, guess not.. but its not hard to do, im sure if you search the web there are plenty of post on forums about it :)
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/ :goodjob:

that's the one i had posted on the old boards...not sure if its the same you were thinking of

redgst97
08-27-2005, 09:14 AM
This might help a bit:
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/182868/8

John

BarnDog296
08-27-2005, 08:18 PM
These are all GREAT links, im actually learning alot on them! I think that there are some people that are willing to help me out also, and that is awesome. I will be trying to work with them as soon as I have time, I cant wait to learn how to do this. Keep sending your links each one gives me more and more ideas and possibilities.