PDA

View Full Version : Slow oil leak not sure where..

0p7!mu5
06-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Ok I have this oil leak not sure where it is. Im certain it isnt a head because the car is not over heating. Wherever it is its slow (roughly have to drop a quart in every 1.5 months to two months). I just thought it was low then i noticed the drip one day. Now before i go tryin to replace parts that don't need to be replaced Can anybody give me a clue. the car is a 91 CRX Dx. No mods other than an exhaust. Im not sure where this is commin from but help will be appreciated Peace!

DecoyOctopus
06-28-2008, 01:58 AM
if the car has an ass load of miles on it then its just buring oil...if you have to add 1 quart ever 1.5 months then that dosent seem like a leak sounds like just oil being burned off. if the car dont have alot of miles then it prolly is a leak. i would pressure wash the engine till all the oil is off it then drive until you notice oil somewhere on the engine then jz take it fromt there

Homer Simpson
06-28-2008, 02:05 AM
just throwing this out there but make sure you oil bolt is tightened. I've had my mom's car bolt loosen up somehow and leaks oil slowly, alos, check the oil filter and make sure its secure and clean where the filter o-ring would sit to make sure its seated.

Also, make sure its not burning oil like sammypain said. G/l dude.

AnthonyF
06-28-2008, 08:47 AM
We just bought a EVAP leak checker and it works GREAT for oil leaks. Now, this machine is over 1k bucks, but I am sure u can rig a fog machine to do the same.

anyways, clean ur engine bay. Not just that mickey mouse spray some Spray Nine and call it a day. No, get in there deep. clean every nook and cranny. Then start the car and let it idle for a few hours and see if u see a drip on the ground. Trace it back. As you drive, the oil will fall and spray everywhere which makes it harder to locate.

-Ant.

edit: 1.5 qts every 1-2 months? lol. thats hardly anything to be concerned with. My mustang, I was adding a qt every few days. lol

0p7!mu5
06-28-2008, 11:01 AM
yeah i guess i got a lil paranoid because when i brought it up to my friend that usually has done all my major work on the car he was sayin something about an oil pump sayin its a typical crx prob or something. It might be burning oil because damn that **** spits out heat not over heathing but it heats up rather quick to begin with.

Barefoot
06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
I just thought it was low then i noticed the drip one day. where was the source. external leaks can be found pretty easy.