PDA

View Full Version : H22 burning oil in 93 ACCORD swap

redciv1
06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
OK so yesterday I'm driving on 285 for traffic court, get off at Memorial Drive. While waiting on the ramp I see...and smell smoke, oil burning smell coming from tail pipe. I look behind and it's me. So I pull over check the radiator and it is cool. Look a the overflow tank and it is full, not at max level but full nearly to the top. So I take the oil cap off and smoke is coming from the head and that awful burnt oil smell. I need to get to traffic court so I let the car cool down and slowly cross the street. Court lasted about 2 1/2 hrs. got back in the car started it up and everything is fine. Stop at QT have way to double check everything is good. So I pick up my kids and about 5-10 minutes later I get the smoke again and this time the D4 light is flashing along with CEL on. Flashing D4, I have not check the code, but probably TCU. I noticed the smoke is heaviest when I am decelerating and taking my foot off of the gas pedal. So go back to previous weekend. I changed the oil with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Must have had a brain fart because I put 5w 30 in the H22. Supposed to take 10w 30/40. So I was going to change out this weekend but yesterday stopped by the autoparts and picked up some 10w 40, I drive 80 miles daily in traffic so wanted extra heat protection, and filter. I changed the two this morning before going to work. I drove approximately 30 minutes straight and Ironically the D4 light started flashing in the same spt, passing Memorial Drive, then the CEL and then the smoking. Could it be the valve seals are going and letting oil go straight thru to the exahust? I need help quick.

K24cb7coupe
06-27-2008, 04:22 PM
are you sure its not the tranny fluid thats burning, that probably where your problem is. especially if the d4 light is flashing then it starts smoking.

redciv1
06-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I never thought about the tranny fluid only because the tranny is shifting fine and the smoke coming from the oil cap. I will admit i have not checked my tranny fluid but I have seen the smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.

redciv1
06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Help :eek:

Barefoot
06-28-2008, 01:24 AM
are you sure its not the tranny fluid thats burning, that probably where your problem is. especially if the d4 light is flashing then it starts smoking.
I see...and smell smoke, oil burning smell coming from tail pipe. last time i check trans fluid wont come thru the exhuast. only things it can be is rings or valve stem seals.

DecoyOctopus
06-28-2008, 01:54 AM
why would tranny fluid burn up and come out of the tail pipe? :screwy:

redciv1
06-28-2008, 07:35 AM
^^^it's ok. I appreciate all the help. I'm not newbie to cars and definitely not an ASE mechanic so I just like to hear different responses. Tranny fine though. I mean D4 blinking, I'll pull the code, and fix that, not a major problem though. This is what happened last night.
I was letting the car cool down and wife called...ran out of gas. What was funny though is that I was home for about an hour and had to go back out. The car did not smoke going/coming to give wife gas. Not one time. Butwhat I did notice is that when I was about 10 minutes from home I started seeing smoke coming from the hood. I immediately pulled over and it was coming from the rad cap. The coolant in the overflow was at the top and was actually boiling. Soooooooooo, seems like too much water was in the system. So possibly the engine was getting hotter than normal. Ironcially I had some coolant in the car and added it to the radiator. Matter of fact I had pretty much a full container and the radiator took the whole container. So apparently there was wayyyyy too much water in the system and it simply boiled off. So I am going to bleed the system and add proper coolant/water mixture. It was just strange that I drove the car for about 30 minutes and no smoke. Will update. I really want to make the meet tomorrow down here at the Varsity but can't show up with "Smokie"

AnthonyF
06-28-2008, 08:45 AM
listen to No Mo Hondas, prob your valve stem seals. They are typical. Rings usually dont just collapse all of sudden for no reason. But do a compression check on all 4 cylinders then come back with the numbers.

-Ant.