PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ran the newer style Type-S speakers?

secondgencamaro
06-26-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm currently running a pair 6.5"s and 6x9"s from the '04 model year on an MRP-F450 (70w RMS x4). I recently pulled out a Type-R 10" out of my trunk and I looking for a little more bass from my full-ranges since I'm not planning on running a sub again.

My delimma is either to get the new Type-S 6.5"/6x9"s for about $90 and underpower them about 15% or the Type-R 6.5"/6x9"s for $180 and underpower them about 30%.

I listen to alot of classic rock (Foghat, Bloodrock, Black Sabbath, etc), ska (Sublime), new rock (Three Days Grace, Hinder, etc) and some rap (insert whatever flash-in-the-pan rapper here). Not looking for same sound as my Type-R 10", I'm just really missing out on some of the lower frequencies (particularly <100Hz).

I wanted to know if anyone has run either set of speakers and what their experiences were with them and advice that they have for me.

P.S. I can also get the Infinity Kappas for dirt cheap, but I'm not real happy with the amount of volume they put out.

420si
06-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I have the new type s in my car running on a 4 channell amp and it sound good. Better than any sound i have heard. I have the exact same set up you are asking for. Type r are the better way out, but if you have a small mounting dept, the car will have a little rattle. The sound quality is a little bad compare to the type s. I have tried both. The type s produce better frequences but less bass than the type r. Go with the type s.

redgst97
06-30-2008, 08:30 PM
You also might want to try playing with the crossover on the amp. Depending on where you have the speakers crossed over, you might get more lower mid-bass out of them. Low bass wont happen without a sub.

Depending on how loud you want the system to go, you "might" be able to get away with a cap on the speaker....something around 100Hz at a 6 db slope should work...something like a "bass blocker". This route is good if you can tell when the speakers are distorting, and back off a bit. If you are abusive, I would not suggest this. Use the amp crossovers then, with a 12db (or greater) slope.

secondgencamaro
07-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Once I get everything in order with the Gen III 6.0, I'll go for the Type-S's and in the mean time I'll play with the crossovers since that is free.

PSYCO G
08-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Alpine suck in SQ. my opinion.

alpine_aw11
08-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Alpine suck in SQ. my opinion.

Only if they're underpowered. Alpine speakers are extremely power hungry, but are the best option for budget sq from what I've heard especially if you look around for the right price. As far as your speaker options, Type-r speakers definitely produce all around better sound than the s, from owning both that's what I've seen. If you're going to rely on speakers alone, I would definitely say go with the type-r's. Just make sure they're powered adequately and you'll be fine. I made the dumbass mistake of running mine off my hu(which was a 9886) and it sounded pretty bad but you've got that covered.

redgst97
08-06-2008, 12:42 AM
We just put in the new Alpines in the sound board at the shop....

b@d @pple
08-06-2008, 08:07 AM
what shop

redgst97
08-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I just sent you a PM.... You know where Im working!!! :)