PDA

View Full Version : Big party gets busted

NEONRACER
08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
http://www.indybay.org/news/2005/08/1761428.php

If this story is accurate, we could see this at IA's next big show. Watch the video.

5thgcelica
08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
uhhhh...

edit:

so i just watched the video...thats definitely no police..thats full on army. wtf..that makes no sense

NEONRACER
08-23-2005, 02:23 PM
That is the police. Almost every agency has full military outfits. Fulton County Sheriff's deputies train in the same style clothing as US Army recruits, camo pants, brown t-shirt. Police and Military are moving closer together everyday.

trythefly
08-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I heard about this from someone I know out west that was at this event. Def. some fucked up shit happened there. Reminds me of the Future Fest party that was shutdown with similar tactics several years ago. The cops/swat that raided the party robbed the promoter of about 1 million in cash ticket sales. Boy did that night suck......

99SI
08-23-2005, 03:08 PM
This is amazing that something like this can still happen in America in the 21st century. This really pisses me off. I have never been to a rave and have only been to a few concerts including The Allman Brothers at the Horse Park in Conyers and Limp Biskit(sp)/method man and redman at Phillips Arena, at both of those places you could get high from the smoke wafting through the area. Any concert or large gathering is going to have drug use and underage drinking. If they do this at every large gathering then we are in for a tough time and a lot of hardship in the future. I hope the state of Utah and Utah County go bankrupt from having to pay some ridiculously high lawsuits. In addition I hope the Sheriff and anyone else involved are prosecuted and booted from their positions. This truly is a sad day when something like this can happen.

trythefly
08-23-2005, 03:10 PM
^yeah but that will never happen. Corruption wins!

99SI
08-23-2005, 03:15 PM
With the amount of video that will probably surface and as many people that were there it will be hard to ignore. I doubt that anyone will be prosecuted or fired but lawsuits will be won I bet. If anyone is reading this and hasn't watched the video that is linked to that page you need to.

IndianStig
08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
sux ass, big lawsuit baby

Ruiner
08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
This is amazing that something like this can still happen in America in the 21st century. This really pisses me off. I have never been to a rave and have only been to a few concerts including The Allman Brothers at the Horse Park in Conyers and Limp Biskit(sp)/method man and redman at Phillips Arena, at both of those places you could get high from the smoke wafting through the area. Any concert or large gathering is going to have drug use and underage drinking. If they do this at every large gathering then we are in for a tough time and a lot of hardship in the future. I hope the state of Utah and Utah County go bankrupt from having to pay some ridiculously high lawsuits. In addition I hope the Sheriff and anyone else involved are prosecuted and booted from their positions. This truly is a sad day when something like this can happen.

Let me explain something as people on IA.com don't see to have all of the info:

1. The party was illegal. Yes, illegal. WHY was it illegal you ask? Simple: they did not have the proper permits for such a large party (over 250 people). That is Utah law.

2. Undercover officers were in the crowd early on and witnessed MANY illegal activities going down.

They were FULLY w/in their right to bust this party.

It was illegal. Nothing else left to say.
[/thread]

99SI
08-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Have you viewed the video tape in question? It doesn't seem to me that a promoter that spends 20k on a show, has a 2million dollar insurance policy for it, has security personell, as well as has every other permit in place except for one would actually intentionally leave out a permit. Now, I do not know all of the facts but as I stated earlier if you have ever been to a concert somewhere and seen these "illegal" activities taking place would you expect for the swat team to storm the building with dogs and tear gas? I don't think anyone is upset that they shut down the party but does it take 100 fucking storm troopers with automatic rifles and tear gas to disperse a crowd of people and shut down a party? If it was so fucking illegal, such a danger to the society, and didn't obtain a proper permit why weren't the police there to shut it down as soon as they learned early on in the day where the location was going to be?? Why did they wait 9 hours to raid the place military style and begin assaulting people?? I'm curious as to your response mr. cut and dry whatever the state says is the way it should be. Fuck you /thread!

99SI
08-23-2005, 04:11 PM
I guess that you feel like the four college students that were murdered by National Guardsmen in Ohio while they were protesting, that was justified because they were breaking the law and having an unlawful assembly? Don't get me wrong I am not an anti-government hippy that goes around with radical ideas. I want justice, punishment, and the law to be upheld, however, this case does not fit into any of these three categories as I see it. Like I said, shutting down the concert is no big deal; coming in with a full swat team, helicopters, and dogs in order to bully and assault people is not upholding the law it is breaking it.

malfeas99
08-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Let me explain something as people on IA.com don't see to have all of the info:

1. The party was illegal. Yes, illegal. WHY was it illegal you ask? Simple: they did not have the proper permits for such a large party (over 250 people). That is Utah law.

2. Undercover officers were in the crowd early on and witnessed MANY illegal activities going down.

They were FULLY w/in their right to bust this party.

It was illegal. Nothing else left to say.
[/thread]

This is what it's beginning to look like.. they obtained a health permit but not a 'right to assemble' permit.. but regardless, they DID find guns and drugs, so busting the party was legal. I personally believe that a) the War on Drugs is idiotic, and b) The notion that I would have to have a permit to assemble 1, 5, 100, or eleventy billion people on my own private property is a grievous affront to my basic constitutional rights, though. The method by which it was busted is rather suspect. I can't imagine why people would have their cameras smashed/confiscated, even if they were filming while they were leaving, unless the police felt like they did not want it videotaped for some reason.

That, and feeling the need to come in with fully automatic weapons and a SWAT team is kind of overkill, considering none of these people could have been considered armed or dangerous based on observed substance abuse.

This is probably overkill due to another case recently in Utah where they tried to break it up but didn't have the manpower. It's been shown, here in the US and elsewhere, though, that raves much larger than that can be dispersed peacefully. We'll see how it goes.

Also, this is Utah. Who's surprised? I'm not. Comparing it to what happened in the Czech republic though is ridiculous.

Ruiner
08-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Have you viewed the video tape in question? It doesn't seem to me that a promoter that spends 20k on a show, has a 2million dollar insurance policy for it, has security personell, as well as has every other permit in place except for one would actually intentionally leave out a permit. Now, I do not know all of the facts but as I stated earlier if you have ever been to a concert somewhere and seen these "illegal" activities taking place would you expect for the swat team to storm the building with dogs and tear gas? I don't think anyone is upset that they shut down the party but does it take 100 fucking storm troopers with automatic rifles and tear gas to disperse a crowd of people and shut down a party? If it was so fucking illegal, such a danger to the society, and didn't obtain a proper permit why weren't the police there to shut it down as soon as they learned early on in the day where the location was going to be?? Why did they wait 9 hours to raid the place military style and begin assaulting people?? I'm curious as to your response mr. cut and dry whatever the state says is the way it should be. Fuck you /thread!

1. Police are allowed to "bust" this party whenever they want be it 10 minutes in or 9 hrs later. It was actually around 2hrs. I'm not sure where you got 9 from.

2. Police are allowed to let this go on so that more people incriminate themselves.

3. When you raid a place, you go in with an OVERPOWERING force. You don't just take 5 or 10 officers.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2961967

Police raid rave party in Spanish Fork Canyon
Party's over: 90 officers from several agencies cite 60 at the event, which had more than 400 people in attendance
By Michael N. Westley
The Salt Lake Tribune

About 60 people were arrested Saturday night when police officers busted an illegal rave in Spanish Fork Canyon.
Those arrested were cited on a variety of charges including the possession of illegal narcotics, weapons violations, DUI, illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor, disorderly conduct, assaulting a police officer and drug distribution.
The youngest of those cited was 15 years old, said Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Dan Gilbert.
Police in Utah County have monitored several raves this summer and have grown increasingly concerned about their legality and
# Ravers say cops were too rough making bust
safety, Gilbert said. When detectives got word that another party was planned for Saturday, they set to work to make sure they got their point across that such activity was not welcome in their area.
"The Sheriff's Office will investigate and look into and find an illegal mass gathering going on, we will take the appropriate action to stop the party at that time," Gilbert said.
Investigators learned that no permit had been requested for a mass gathering which requires a bond and Utah County Commission approval for groups larger than 250, said Gilbert. Police learned around noon Saturday that the rave would be held in the Diamond Fork area of Spanish Fork Canyon and assembled about 90 officers from several agencies to enforce crowd control.

Undercover officers filtered into the party when the doors opened about 9 p.m. By 11:30 p.m. police confirmed that more than 250 people were in attendance and stormed the party. During their two hours at the DJ-driven dance party, undercover officers had observed a multitude of illegal activities including the sale and consumption of drugs such as cocaine, ecstacy, alcohol, methamphetamine and marijuana.
"The sale of drugs at these parties is so prevalent that at this particular rave party, drugs were offered to local off-duty emergency medical service personnel who were contracted to be there," Gilbert said.
A 17-year-old West Jordan girl overdosed on ecstasy, police said. Most of the participants were between 15 and 30 years old and were from Spanish Fork, Springville, Provo, Payson, as well as Davis and Salt Lake counties, Gilbert said. Two security guards hired by the promotor were arrested for the possession of cocaine and ecstasy and Spanish Fork police made two DUI arrests as partyers drove out of the canyon, he said.
Most of the 400 or so ravers left peacefully.
But others were detained if they had been seen doing something illegal or showed visible signs of impairment, said Gilbert.
In a sweep of the area after the crowd had been controlled, which one raver said was executed with unnecessary force, police found a plethora of drugs and drug paraphernalia scattered on the ground, Gilbert said.
Brett George told Fox News 13 that officers stormed the party and treated attendees unfairly, including beating one man that was trying to film the bust with a video camera.
Police want parents of teenagers to know the dangers of illegal, clandestine rave parties. Gilbert said that in addition to heavy drug use, raves attract sexual assaults, violence, theft and promote unsafe driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Ruiner
08-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Wow, 99SI is getting mad. Ahahahahahhaha. For what reason? You would think that he was at the rave or something. Unfortunately he isn't up to date on force used (needed) when dealing with a large number of people and/or how to conduct a raid. The police were still LEGALLY able to get their point across. Shame. Instead, he comes into this thread and says "Fuck you" to me for no reason. Oh well. :)

RISKYB
08-23-2005, 08:55 PM
i dont know why we are fighting to give other countries freedom when we dont have any ourselves

JoeCoolinATL
08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
its funny whenever you hear of these stories, you know most of it is exaggerated by the kids who were drunk/high at the event