PDA

View Full Version : i dont get it

Hondak20a3
08-23-2005, 12:19 PM
ok i brought my car to this shop to get a motor swap and they told me it would take about a month...well my car has been there for about 3 months now and they are still charging me full price and not really trying to get it out of the shop they keep bringing in all these cars and working on them b4 they work on mine but im srry mine has been there the longest of most of them and i think my car should be priority and this is pissin me off b/c i need my car i wont have anything to drive in a couple days and they wont hurry up, any1 have similiar problems in the past or now?

B16a2 Civic
08-23-2005, 12:20 PM
did you tell them this info?
take you rcar back, get your refund and motor and take it else where

BTEC
08-23-2005, 12:34 PM
EXACTLY, IVE SEEN IT DONE B4. STAY ON THEM ABOUT IT. IM SURE B16A2 CIVIC CAN TELL YOU WHAT TO DO TO LET THEM KNOW U MEAN BISUNESS TOO.

Hondak20a3
08-23-2005, 03:19 PM
well ive been on them alot and they got the axles they just need to go get them and theve gotta wire the ecu so i guess that takes awhile so yea

Spyder
08-23-2005, 03:29 PM
well ive been on them alot and they got the axles they just need to go get them and theve gotta wire the ecu so i guess that takes awhile so yea

there are guys on this board that can do a swap in a weekend, friday you pull in a running car, sunday you drive home in the swaped car. SURELY a shop could manage to do it in 3 months..

BTEC
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
there are guys on this board that can do a swap in a weekend, friday you pull in a running car, sunday you drive home in the swaped car. SURELY a shop could manage to do it in 3 months..

exactly. i just recently heard of a shop taking almost a year to do an obd2 b16 swapped in a dudes car. he picked it up like 2 weeks ago, that i dnt get. it took me two days to do my swap and i had never done it b4.

Spyder
08-23-2005, 03:34 PM
exactly. i just recently heard of a shop taking almost a year to do an obd2 b16 swapped in a dudes car. he picked it up like 2 weeks ago, that i dnt get. it took me two days to do my swap and i had never done it b4.

exactly it took YOU 2 days, now imagion that being done at a shop that has everything they need and 10 spare parts cars/motors laying around proper tools and everything, i just cant understand why it could possibly take so long. I would have never dropped it off with a month estmate but being as that was ok with you.. I guess you get what you get..

99SI
08-23-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't know the full circumstances surrounding your swap or what all you had done. I'm sure whoever it is that is doing it will be glad to work with you if you contact them and let them know that you expected it done sooner and find out why exactly it is taking so long. If there was a lot of fabrication involved or if there was a backorder on parts then sometimes shit takes a little longer than was originally quoted. I know that when I had my work done I provided the wrong pistons and the pistons I needed were on back order everywhere. No one could get the pistons that I needed. I looked everywhere and so did vteckidd. Rocket Motorsports finally landed him a set and they were shipped out overnight but it took almost 3 weeks just to get the pistons because of a nationwide backorder. Anyway if you contact the shop and still don't get any satisfaction if you would like some more advice please feel free to PM or IM me and I'll help in any way that I can.

Spyder
08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
I don't know the full circumstances surrounding your swap or what all you had done. I'm sure whoever it is that is doing it will be glad to work with you if you contact them and let them know that you expected it done sooner and find out why exactly it is taking so long. If there was a lot of fabrication involved or if there was a backorder on parts then sometimes shit takes a little longer than was originally quoted. I know that when I had my work done I provided the wrong pistons and the pistons I needed were on back order everywhere. No one could get the pistons that I needed. I looked everywhere and so did vteckidd. Rocket Motorsports finally landed him a set and they were shipped out overnight but it took almost 3 weeks just to get the pistons because of a nationwide backorder. Anyway if you contact the shop and still don't get any satisfaction if you would like some more advice please feel free to PM or IM me and I'll help in any way that I can.

Thats a good point, and it is possible there are underlieing things here... but if this is a straight swap and all the parts are there this place needs to get their shit straight.

BTEC
08-23-2005, 03:39 PM
since its being brought up, what kinda car and what swap are u getting?

99SI
08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
I completely agree. Like I said I don't know all of the circumstances or what he is having done. Hopefully he will get his car back shortly since it seems as though it is almost complete and he will be overjoyed at his fresh engine in his ride and with the quality of the workmanship that was done. It would suck if it took this long and he wasn't happy. My shit took a long time but I knew going in that it was going to. I was fine with it because I knew that Mike was working on it after work and on weekends and I knew that he was putting in the time. Like I said we had a problem finding the right pistons that we thought we already had taken care of. Then we couldn't get a set of damn rings that were right until we had DFE ship some up. Those little things were annoyed but I know for a fact that all of the delays were legitimate things that were beyond the shops control. Not only that but the little things that they have taken care of for me for nothing or little of nothing make it all worthwhile. I was not about to undertake a complete build of a high compression 10k RPM engine, ecu conversion, LSD install, and tune myself! lol, I will change my oil and put on a header but that's about it. lol.

99SI
08-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Judging by the name I am guessing that it's a K20A3 engine that's getting swapped in. Swapped into what I don't know and again it's just a guess.

Vteckidd
08-23-2005, 04:54 PM
First:

Its a K20A3 SWAP into an 01-03 Honda Civic EX AUTOMATIC. its a swap AND an automatic to manual conversion. its not your average B series that takes 1-2 days to do.

Second:
The car was dropped off and sat 3 WEEKS before you made a decision to give us the OK to do the swap. I told you it would take 1-2 weeks to find a DONOR CAR which is what you needed. I AM VERY PICKY about what motors i get. I must know complete history and mileage of engine before purchase. in the event that a motor is bad, i make sure its a reputable company that i can pursue and make sure you have a positive outcome.

Thirdly:
The compicated part of this is that he needes a FRONT CLIP. you did not have the money for a K20A aka DC5 ITR, and you did not have the moeny for a K20A2 RSX TYPE-S, much more readily available and easier to find. we went with a K20A3 civic SI/Base RSX swap. those are MUCH harder to find as they are mostly US cars. i found a TON of automatic swaps, but it took us a few weeks to find the perfect donor car that was a 5 speed, the subframe wasnt bent up, which would have cost you $800 from acura if it was bad, etc. i needed to have axels and wiring harness, EVERYTHING, otherwise it wasnt worth our time.

Fourth:
You needed HASPORT mounts, they weer on backorder for 2 weeks before they were delivered to us, and that is not our fault.

fifth:
the fact that it is taking so long is the fact that there is ALOT OF WIRING. its not plug and play. You are right , we have had more cars come in, and you have to realize you arent the only one in the shop. if you want a personal technician, then that is something we cannot do.

Your car wil be done, it has taken a long time and i apolagize, however , its not like we are sleeping on or neglecting your car. Its takes time to get parts, wiring diagrams , figure out and trouble shoot a swap that not alot of people have done in GA. i have seen ONE other car that had a k20 in it of your chassis.

we are charging you full price because the work load hasnt cahnged.

i dont really think you UNDERSTAND what it takes to do something of this magnitude. we told you all along it was going to take 2 months do to how busy we are and due to the painstaking process of gtting parts here on time.

BTEC
08-23-2005, 04:57 PM
well that explains it. i thought it was a b series swap or something.

Vteckidd
08-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Also, im sorry man, but anyone that has been in this game knows that CUSTOM work takes TIME. we had to make a battery tray, reroute all your AC lines and PS lines so you could keed AC and Power Steering. Most people say you cant keep those items, we made sure you did.

If you expect us to turn down easy jobs that come in , sorry that wont happen. we have to make money to stay open, if i turned down every car taht came in because i needed to work on your car, then we wouldnt stay open.

i have customers that have waited 2 months because they are waiting on head work to get back, cams that are custom grinds, headers to get built etc. we are a high performance shop, and we do custom work. i have a saying that many poeple know
"CUSTOM DOESNT COME IN A BOX"

Formally...
08-23-2005, 05:12 PM
First, I would like to say sorry to Phillip for taking so long on this swap. Second, I would like to let everyone know the whole story. The swap is a RSX K20 into a 02 Civic EX. This is also a AUTO to MANUAL conversion in a car that has a sensor to tell you if you shit stinks or not. The wiring is a little more complicated then a standard swap. As far as the car being here for 3 monthes that is true. However, the car came with a blown tranny. You took about 2 week before you decided to do the swap. This means I had to then find a complete front clip since I needed everything for the auto to manual. This took time. I found a K20 auto but you wanted a manual. I then found a K20 manual swap but no clutch pedal, master cylinder, subframe, etc. It took time to find a front clip with 7k miles for your budget. Once the front clip was here we have worked on it as much as we can. We got as far as we could with out the mounts here. Sorry, not many people stock mounts for a swap that has only been done a few times in the entire country. Yes, I have the axles now but it took a while to locate the proper ones (must use 02 SI because RSX is 5 lug). I could have gotten them at the dealership but I am trying to stay with in your budget. I am now trying to get all the wiring diagrams that we need to finish the wiring.

Again, sorry for taking so long but there is not a lot of info on this swap so it takes more research which take more time. You can go find instructions on how to put a b-series in an EG writen by a 5 year old that did it for show and tell. Also, ask the teal green one that you see on Barrett how long his swap took (the only other one in the state that we know of). I think we are beating their record.

Spyder
08-23-2005, 05:15 PM
LOL , you have one of THE best people i have ever known in the Honda world working on your car man , the others should be so lucky. Vteckidd is the man, don't worry about him taking care of you and doing a great job. Im glad he came on here to shed some light on the other side of the story.. I knew there had to be more after the facts started to spill out.. Sit back be patient and let the man work. you want a B- series in there im sure he could have it done by this weekend. you want something absolutely unique and custom with all the extra componets working give it time, because no matter where you take it it will take extra time..

PS. you may as well leave it with the best if you are going to leave it anywhere. ;)

Spyder
08-23-2005, 05:18 PM

I used to say that when I was doing car audio, best line ever. and true.

Vteckidd
08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
LOL , you have one of THE best people i have ever known in the Honda world working on your car man , the others should be so lucky. Vteckidd is the man, don't worry about him taking care of you and doing a great job. Im glad he came on here to shed some light on the other side of the story.. I knew there had to be more after the facts started to spill out.. Sit back be patient and let the man work. you want a B- series in there im sure he could have it done by this weekend. you want something absolutely unique and custom with all the extra componets working give it time, because no matter where you take it it will take extra time..

PS. you may as well leave it with the best if you are going to leave it anywhere. ;)
im hardly the best, but i do what i can. always looking to learn more. i have to give credit to Charles at the shop, he has done alot of the work as well on the car. We have 8 cars here awaiting full builds from the ground up, and 3 cars in the middle of getting swaps done. we do what we can between the 2 of us :)

thanks for the kind words :cool:

iNsTuN nOoDoH
08-23-2005, 08:42 PM
I knew of another eg with a k20 in atl... =0)

Vteckidd
08-23-2005, 08:48 PM
I knew of another eg with a k20 in atl... =0)

i know of two, but his is not a EG. this is a 02 civic AUTOMATIC that had to be converted to 5 speed, and then swapped to a K series.

Spyder
08-24-2005, 09:56 AM
im hardly the best, but i do what i can. always looking to learn more. i have to give credit to Charles at the shop, he has done alot of the work as well on the car. We have 8 cars here awaiting full builds from the ground up, and 3 cars in the middle of getting swaps done. we do what we can between the 2 of us :)

thanks for the kind words :cool:

I said ONE OF the best, dont get all cocky on me now :lmfao: :lmfao: :D

Vteckidd
08-24-2005, 09:58 AM
I said ONE OF the best, dont get all cocky on me now :lmfao: :lmfao: :D
lol u know what i mean

99SI
08-24-2005, 10:02 AM
haha, cocky bastard! Seriously though, I'm glad that Mike and Charles told exactly what the delay is and in this situation and the circumstances definately warrant the amount of time it has taken. I know you will be happy once it's through. At least until you decide that you want to modify the K20A3 which you probably will then you'll get to spend a whole bunch more money doing bolt ons and power adders! I have seen Many shops make much more unprofessional response posts before to customers and I'm very impressed by the way this was handled. Kudos to Mainstream once again for not only doing great work but having good and professional people. +1

bicsintegra
08-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Also, im sorry man, but anyone that has been in this game knows that CUSTOM work takes TIME. we had to make a battery tray, reroute all your AC lines and PS lines so you could keed AC and Power Steering. Most people say you cant keep those items, we made sure you did.

If you expect us to turn down easy jobs that come in , sorry that wont happen. we have to make money to stay open, if i turned down every car taht came in because i needed to work on your car, then we wouldnt stay open.

i have customers that have waited 2 months because they are waiting on head work to get back, cams that are custom grinds, headers to get built etc. we are a high performance shop, and we do custom work. i have a saying that many poeple know

where do you work? how much would your shop or yourself charge for a swap in a 91 legend coupe Type I. i have a blown head gasket in my coupe and i am going to fix it around thinksgiving. shhot me a PM if interested and i will shoot you one with the same info. and question.

Vteckidd
08-24-2005, 11:35 AM
where do you work? how much would your shop or yourself charge for a swap in a 91 legend coupe Type I. i have a blown head gasket in my coupe and i am going to fix it around thinksgiving. shhot me a PM if interested and i will shoot you one with the same info. and question.
thats alot of work! PM me