PDA

View Full Version : HELP 1999 ECLIPSE

jdmtegjc95
06-26-2008, 09:03 AM
okay i have a problem i have a short throw shifter and when i am rolling to a stop sign and try to put it in first i cant or when i try to turn and throw it in 1st i cant i have to put it in second. but if i start off at a stop sign or a complete stop i can put it in 1st with no grinding. One more problem the rpm gauge doesnt work only when i punch the gas is when it works and it will work till i cut the car off. but when i cut it back on the rpm gauge does not work again till i punch the gas.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sararose
06-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Did you put the short shifter in yourself? Did you buy the short shifter bushings and fluid to do with it? Adding those with the short shifter make a heck of a difference from what I've experienced.

Why are you making a turn in 1st anyways? You should really only ever be down shifting to first if your 5mph and under, and nearly coming to a full, complete stop. Down shifting to 1st gear when traveling at higher speeds is ridiculous and unnecessary, plus you're basically FORCING it into gear when you shouldn't be. When you had a longer shifter, you probably didn't notice it as much, but now with the shorter, you'll feel how difficult it is.