PDA

View Full Version : hub help

T34me
06-24-2008, 11:52 AM
hey guys, have a 94 teg rs with bad front driver side bearing. What are chances of hub being bad as well? Should i just go ahead and spend a hundred dollars that i dont really have and replace the hub? Thanks for any help.

Tech5
06-24-2008, 02:35 PM
No you can just replace the bearing, hope you got a press or a on the car hub remover....good luck

Barefoot
06-24-2008, 02:43 PM
yah if u cant afford to replace the hub at a shop for around $160 parts and labor. take the hub off press it out yourself and do youll only spend about $60 on the part (gl without a press). ive pick then up from junk yards for about $90. only problem with the junkyard is the history of the part u just dont know .

T34me
06-24-2008, 06:40 PM
no, i was going to have a shop do the labor, i dident feel like even trying, but they wanted 120 for the bearing and i can get it for 60, i just wanted to make sure that even if the bearing is bad, it dosent mean that the hub is.

Barefoot
06-24-2008, 08:58 PM
120 just for the bearing thats 100% markup. f uck that

T34me
06-24-2008, 09:25 PM
no doubt

Tech5
06-24-2008, 10:09 PM
more more shops are charging 100% mark up not uncommon at all...but there labor is cheaper then the dealers an part is cheaper then the dealers, so it still works out, my other shop was 67% mark up , other was 80% an last one was 100%....Nothing wrong by that, But most shops will do labor only you bring your part, but if anything is wrong with part or your car they are not at fault an sometimes you might have to pay double labor..If you brought your bearing to my shop an just wanted us to do the labor we mark the labor up another .5 or .8 ...Its bussiness trying to save a buck might cost more in the long run good luck
120 just for the bearing thats 100% markup. f uck that

Barefoot
06-24-2008, 11:06 PM
more more shops are charging 100% mark up not uncommon at all...but there labor is cheaper then the dealers an part is cheaper then the dealers, so it still works out, my other shop was 67% mark up , other was 80% an last one was 100%....Nothing wrong by that, But most shops will do labor only you bring your part, but if anything is wrong with part or your car they are not at fault an sometimes you might have to pay double labor..If you brought your bearing to my shop an just wanted us to do the labor we mark the labor up another .5 or .8 ...Its bussiness trying to save a buck might cost more in the long run good lucktru my old shop i know charged about 50% markup but they was the highest ive worked for. at my shop now its like 30% but that i know is going to go up. my current nor old shop warrantied any part that wasnt new and bought buy the shop.

T34me
06-25-2008, 07:06 PM
ok, so....do you guys have any experience with the hub being damaged from a bad bearing? If i only need to replace the bearing i can have my car fixed this weekend, but if i need the hub, i have to wait another week. Which is very hard, because it is loud as hell in the cabin.