PDA

View Full Version : Misc I cant believe it, Top Gear USA free to criticize cars at will!

EJ25RUN
06-23-2008, 12:57 PM
FinalGear Article....

Top Gear America Supposedly Won’t Be Censored By NBC

Posted June 19th, 2008 at 21:41 GMT by Viper007Bond in Adam Carolla, Top Gear America

Last week, before Eric Stromer was announced as the third host, a caller called into Adam’s show wanting an update on Top Gear. Discussion ensued about the third host having been picked, that they’d be reviewing supercars and such much like the British version, and so forth. However the surprising thing, to me at least, was Adam mentioning that NBC was actually going to be allowing them to praise or more importantly criticize cars as they saw fit. Many people, including me, were worried that since NBC was advertiser supported, there would be resistance to criticizing cars that could be potential advertisers. Luckily it seems that NBC is smart enough to realize that the only way Top Gear America can succeed is if the hosts are allowed to say their true feelings and aren’t on a leash. This is very, very good news.

If you’re interested in listening to the actual call, you can download it (14:45 in), although there’s not much that happened that I didn’t cover above.

Autoblog Article....

When I was a kid there was this terrible car show on television that was sponsored by a certain automaker that shall remain nameless. Every week – that is, every week I could bear to watch it, at least – the hosts would review a car from that company, and guess what? They always liked it! And that's what makes Top Gear such a hit. Because the BBC is publicly-funded, they don't have advertisements. (Notice that downloaded episodes of Top Gear run an actual full hour, instead of the usual "hour-long" shows that run 45 minutes.) Without advertisers, Clarkson and company are free to say what they want about whatever car they're reviewing, and so journalistic integrity remains intact, even as they catapult caravans and play soccer (sorry, "football") with hatchbacks.

With NBC "gearing" up for its own version of the hit car show, reportedly to be called simply "Gear", the fear was that, as the show would be dependent on commercial advertisements, the recently-announced team of co-hosts would be reigned in by the bean-counters regarding what they could and could not say about the cars they'd be reviewing. Thankfully, on a recent episode of his radio talk-show, Adam Carolla revealed that no such limitations would be imposed by NBC on the show's editorial autonomy. You know, this may just work out yet.

Me....
You think this is for real?

allmotoronly
06-23-2008, 01:05 PM
hmmm... america is too driven by advertisements. I'm sure the big 3 will have a hand in this somewhere...

Total_Blender
06-23-2008, 01:43 PM
The show itself will probably won't find a problem getting ad revenue since there are plenty of non-automotive companies eager to advertise to the 18-25 demographic.

What will probably hurt NBC is when/if car companies were to pull ads from other NBC shows. But the car companies aren't that stupid (at least I hope not).The car companies might try to sue, as litigious as America is nowadays.

Ran
06-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Toyota Camry Hybrid > Lamboghini Spaghetti or whatever the f*ck it's called.

EJ25RUN
06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Toyota Camry Hybrid

Did you know that's what this new 3rd host owns?

Alan®
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM
hmmmm good question i don't think that this info is false but i wouldn't be surprised if after the first season the show gets reigned in

Me86Rob
06-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I wont be as good as the original. they should just ****in broadcast the one with Jeremy Richard and James over here. i cant see that show makin it without them

NewGen33
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't know if I like the idea of a US version. It might ruin the TG name. Also the BBC America will be showing two episodes of top gear tonight at 8 p.m. and 9p.m. They will repeat these at 11 p.m. and 12 p.m. There will be two other TG episodes following these two. No info has been given for them yet so I don't know if its just another repeat.

Formula One racer Lewis Hamilton pays a visit to the test track. Jeremy and James go in search of the granddaddy of the modern car, and Jeremy also rides the Thunder from Down Under - Vauxhall's new Aussie VXR8. Ser. 10, Ep. 8

This week the hosts invest in three classic cars from the heyday of Britain's motor industry and challenge each other to a variety of competitions. Jeremy drives Aston Martin's new DBS and Jennifer Saunders tries her hand at racing. Ser. 10, Ep. 7

BanginJimmy
06-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Remember that this is advertising. This could be nothing more than a bid for more veiwers by mearly saying that there will be no censoring.

dc2teg2006
06-23-2008, 08:13 PM
sound good, but only time will tell.

Revmaynard
06-23-2008, 08:19 PM
What kind of cars do Top Gears hosts have?