PDA

View Full Version : Intake Question

psycho_freke
06-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm sorry for asking a question that has been beaten like a dead horse, but I'm having so much trouble getting the answer I'm looking for. I want to know, on the integra GSR, what is the best performing intake for under $200. I'm really looking to spend about $150 if I can get away with it, so help me out here!

Barefoot
06-22-2008, 09:18 PM
ebay tube with a good filter

psycho_freke
06-22-2008, 09:41 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=190228296996

I have this thing sitting in my living room. The finish looks like ****, one end of the tube is not perfectly round, and the inside that should be perfectly smooth has ripples at one of the bends, both of which I'm afraid may affect the performance of the intake. The collar that attaches to the throttle body and the rubber piece that goes on the threaded rod to hold the intake to the car are also very cheaply made. I'm not at all satisfied with my purchase. By the time I buy a new filter, all of the mounting hardware, and repaint the thing to make the finish look better, I'll have spent over $100 on this thing and still have ripples inside and an out of round end on it. All of that considered, I think I'd be better off with one of the higher end CAIs, unless you guys know of a better ebay intake.

Barefoot
06-23-2008, 12:51 AM
smalls just hit the FS section u can find 1 in there for 20 bux call it a day. there are tons on ebay (knock off) tubes out there are good.

AnthonyF
06-23-2008, 10:51 AM

x2. It's ALL about the filter. A tube is a tube. Why spend 300 bucks for a tube? cus it says AEM? **** AEM...except their ECM's.

-Ant.

psycho_freke
06-23-2008, 08:26 PM
So do you think the ripples on the inside of the bend near the filter and the slightly out of round end on it will cause me problems? Also, if it's all about the filter, what kind of filter do you recommend (not necessarily brands, because I don't really care about brands as long as I get quality)?

AnthonyF
06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
^ok....no the metal will not affect it. The intake is going to provide MINIMAL performance. Filter matters, but if u go to the track or dyno, just remove it for more hp.

-Ant.

DieselNuts
06-23-2008, 08:31 PM
if you are naturally aspirated, you wont see performance out of any intake. Its mostly just the sound.

Barefoot
06-23-2008, 09:30 PM
^ok....no the metal will not affect it. The intake is going to provide MINIMAL performance. Filter matters, but if u go to the track or dyno, just remove it for more hp.

-Ant.ull get a lil more throttle response also.

psycho_freke
06-24-2008, 02:52 AM
x2. It's ALL about the filter. A tube is a tube. Why spend 300 bucks for a tube? cus it says AEM? **** AEM...except their ECM's.

-Ant.

Sooo... What kind of filter is good? :???:

Barefoot
06-24-2008, 02:58 AM
Sooo... What kind of filter is good? :???:cant go wrong with k&n

Revmaynard
06-24-2008, 03:04 AM
K&N FTW!

psycho_freke
06-24-2008, 04:07 AM
I know K&N is great, but you don't know of any off brands that are about the same quality? I hate going with big names unless I just know for sure that there is nothing better out there that can meet or surpass the quality that they put out for a cheaper price.

(For the record... handing out rep like candy for the people who have been offering me their advice. I appreciate the input!)

Barefoot
06-24-2008, 09:16 AM
smalls u was just talkin about dropping 200 or more on a CAI. u can afford the k&n it wont break the bank.

Theycall_Metue
06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
i bought mine cone filter at auto zone and for hp i bought the aem cold intake pipes

ed_gm90
06-24-2008, 03:35 PM
basically all intakes are the same, you wont get more than 2 or 3hp out of them, but like everybody said the filter is the most important thing, right now i have a K&N drop in air filter in my car.

psycho_freke
06-25-2008, 09:37 AM
smalls u was just talkin about dropping 200 or more on a CAI. u can afford the k&n it wont break the bank.

Nah, I was talking about hopefully spending less than $150 on a CAI. I don't really have the extra dough lying around right now. It's something I'll be doing in the near future (Couple of weeks or less hopefully). I was hoping to go ahead and do it now, but repairs come first and a lot of **** has come up that I didn't expect when I bought the car...

seanrg1116
06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
http://www.nengun.com/image/catalogue/primary/nengun-1150-02-apexi-power_intake_kit_universal.jpg (http://www.nengun.com/image/catalogue/original/nengun-1150-02-apexi-power_intake_kit_universal.jpg)this is also a great filter but it is expensive at almost $100
buy this here http://www.nengun.com/apexi/power-intake-kit-universal

Just get an Egay intake with a K&N cone filter and u will be happy with the results :D

psycho_freke
06-25-2008, 11:32 AM
How about this? At $40 is a hell of a lot cheaper than that Apexi one you brought up!

http://media-images.rpmware.com/50415-420.jpg
http://group5motorsport.com/fujita-5/fujita-5-super-flow-intake-filter/f5275s/i-36011.aspx

seanrg1116
06-25-2008, 01:27 PM
^^^^^^that would be a steal and its cheaper than a K&N. But when a deal looks to good to be true it usually is. Ddo some research on that filter and see what kind of reputation it has

psycho_freke
06-26-2008, 02:25 AM
^^^^^^that would be a steal and its cheaper than a K&N. But when a deal looks to good to be true it usually is. Ddo some research on that filter and see what kind of reputation it has

So far not finding any reviews, however: "The Super Flow High Performance Air Filter contains a synthetic fiber that does not contain any oil. Fujita's Super Flow High Performance Air Filter was designed to maximize air flow. The high gloss Fujita air horn enables air to enter the intake chamber in a high velocity spiral motion. The base of the filter was technically engineered to ensure a smooth and rapid passage of the air into the intake chamber." :goodjob: http://www.advancespeedshop.com/fujita-super-flow-high-performance-replacement-filters-f5275s-p-1799.html

One last thing... A dude I work with had an SRT4 and keeps telling me that I'm going to hydrolock my engine if I put this CAI on it. Seems that some of the guys on the SRT forums have hydrolocked their engines with AEM CAIs. This is something I've been concerned with, but so far, through researching, I haven't found this to be much of a problem the tegs. My biggest concern with this is that I'm missing the plastic gaurd inside my passenger side fender well. I'm just trying to figure out if this is as much of an issue as he's making it out to be. He seems to be convinced that I WILL hydrolock my engine if I put the CAI on it.

Barefoot
06-26-2008, 03:41 AM
One last thing... A dude I work with had an SRT4 and keeps telling me that I'm going to hydrolock my engine if I put this CAI on it. Seems that some of the guys on the SRT forums have hydrolocked their engines with AEM CAIs. This is something I've been concerned with, but so far, through researching, I haven't found this to be much of a problem the tegs. My biggest concern with this is that I'm missing the plastic gaurd inside my passenger side fender well. I'm just trying to figure out if this is as much of an issue as he's making it out to be. He seems to be convinced that I WILL hydrolock my engine if I put the CAI on it.it happens on cars with a cai without a bypass.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=20

speedminded
06-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Whale Penis.

http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-Carbon-Fiber-PowerChamber-Intake-DC2-Integra-GSR-P1917C379.aspx

http://passwordjdm.com/images/Products/1917L.jpg

seanrg1116
06-26-2008, 07:02 AM
So far not finding any reviews, however: "The Super Flow High Performance Air Filter contains a synthetic fiber that does not contain any oil. Fujita's Super Flow High Performance Air Filter was designed to maximize air flow. The high gloss Fujita air horn enables air to enter the intake chamber in a high velocity spiral motion. The base of the filter was technically engineered to ensure a smooth and rapid passage of the air into the intake chamber." :goodjob: http://www.advancespeedshop.com/fujita-super-flow-high-performance-replacement-filters-f5275s-p-1799.html

One last thing... A dude I work with had an SRT4 and keeps telling me that I'm going to hydrolock my engine if I put this CAI on it. Seems that some of the guys on the SRT forums have hydrolocked their engines with AEM CAIs. This is something I've been concerned with, but so far, through researching, I haven't found this to be much of a problem the tegs. My biggest concern with this is that I'm missing the plastic gaurd inside my passenger side fender well. I'm just trying to figure out if this is as much of an issue as he's making it out to be. He seems to be convinced that I WILL hydrolock my engine if I put the CAI on it.

U need to get the fender well, and make sure u have all of the factory skirts for under the car. I u leave the Filter exposed u run a high risk of Hydrolocking the engine. The best way to avoid that is to pay attention to ur surrondings (go real slow through big puddles)

psycho_freke
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Knew I should've consulted you guys before making this purchase :no: There's so much conflicting information on the web about this that it was hard to make an educated decision. Looks like dude at work was right for once and I should've stuck with SRI

seanrg1116
06-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Knew I should've consulted you guys before making this purchase :no: There's so much conflicting information on the web about this that it was hard to make an educated decision. Looks like dude at work was right for once and I should've stuck with SRI

the cold air intake will work great but make sure u enclose the filter. if u dont have all the panels that go under the car, u need to wait untill u can get them. HPC 18775060664 they will have what u need

Muk
06-26-2008, 12:26 PM
You can always make yourself a custom intake. With your own tube size and big or small air filter.

And by custom I don't mean some aluminum fiber tube lol

seanrg1116
06-26-2008, 12:43 PM
You can always make yourself a custom intake. With your own tube size and big or small air filter.

And by custom I don't mean some aluminum fiber tube lol

:slap:

Muk
06-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Why did you post that silly simlie? Get a tube, go to a muffler shop or if you have connections do it yourself, and have them or your connection bend it to your like'n and make your own filter. I've done it before and it came ot awesome!

But hey, I don't drive a Honda, so I like to get creative and not follow everyone else'es foot steps jmo.

psycho_freke
06-27-2008, 04:03 AM
the cold air intake will work great but make sure u enclose the filter. if u dont have all the panels that go under the car, u need to wait untill u can get them. HPC 18775060664 they will have what u need

Enclose the filter? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Why did you post that silly simlie? Get a tube, go to a muffler shop or if you have connections do it yourself, and have them or your connection bend it to your like'n and make your own filter. I've done it before and it came ot awesome!

But hey, I don't drive a Honda, so I like to get creative and not follow everyone else'es foot steps jmo.

Make your own filter? From What? And tubing from a muffler shop? I think there is a reason all of these companies are using aluminum (one of which I believe is weight). I'd like to see some pics of this to prove it doesn't look like some rigged job.

seanrg1116
06-27-2008, 11:41 AM
when i said enclose the filter I was talking about the factory underpanels and fenderwells they do a great job of keeping water away from a filter. the air intakes usually sitt in the fender well and they are protected by they undertrays of the car. leave the filter directly exposed to the ground is running a very high risk of hydrolocking ur engine.

jtaylor48
06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I had an AEM CAI with a body kit (no inner fenders or plastic skid plates) and never had a problem with it (4+ years). Just don't drive with your right front tire in a foot of water. If you are really worried about it you are still gonna spend less than $200 in buying a bypass valve and filter.

SRT4's intake at a much higher velocity so that could be why a CAI for it has a hydrolock issue.

BTW the whale penis isn't CA but makes hella noise on a B-series Vtec

seanrg1116
06-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I had an AEM CAI with a body kit (no inner fenders or plastic skid plates) and never had a problem with it (4+ years). Just don't drive with your right front tire in a foot of water. If you are really worried about it you are still gonna spend less than $200 in buying a bypass valve and filter.

SRT4's intake at a much higher velocity so that could be why a CAI for it has a hydrolock issue.

BTW the whale penis isn't CA but makes hella noise on a B-series Vtec

LOUD ASS VTAK FTW
:lmfao:

jtaylor48
06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
My Si came with that whale penis and I can't even hear an exhaust noise over Vtec. I don't blow off in people's windows I just down shift.

jtaylor48
07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176159

heres you a cheap air bypass valve grab it soon b4 it sells and then just use your pipe

integra82786
07-03-2008, 05:51 PM
yes, cold air intakes run a risk of pulling water, but it also depends on the car. on hondas it's inevitable, short ram is the way to go. I don't know much about dodges but the "whale penis" as its called is definately the way to go in my opinion. but, like everyone else said, doing some research on your specific car can bring you the answer. whatever the case, I wouldn't ever spend more than $200 on an intake system.

81911SC
07-03-2008, 09:29 PM
God, such ignorance in here.

Elbow
07-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Unless you are buying a real whale penis or something advanced, any tube with a filter works. eBay is just as good as a AEM one or something. Get a HKS filter.

psycho_freke
07-03-2008, 10:25 PM
God, such ignorance in here.

Please explain

81911SC
07-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Please explainIt's not worth it.