PDA

View Full Version : How To Remove A CRX Radiator Support?

CLEAN-ASS-EK
03-18-2005, 11:54 PM
I just Got a 89 CRX si from my friend. He wrecked it and the insurance totaled it b/c the car is not worth much. It was/is in great shape besides the minor front end damage. I have all the parts for it and I was going to get started but I got back tracked with the support. It seems to have factory spot welds on the support to the frame and I do not have a welder. I was thinking of taking a beutane torch to the support so that it can heat the welds enough so that I could take it off. If someone could help that would be great. any info please I have to get this done soon. :(

HiPSI
03-19-2005, 10:55 AM
diy is more for "how to" type posts, not questions so i moved the post to general tech.

the only good way to get the welds off is to grind them off, very simple to do with a handheld grinder and a cutting/grinding wheel. once you get through those welds it'll come right off. butane torch won't do crap to an actual weld other than make it too hot to touch, it won't even begin to melt the metal. the only torch you could use would be oxy/acetylene but that would burn a bigass hole right through, so i don't recommend it. just go with the grinder, cheap and easy to do.

green91
03-20-2005, 09:54 PM
which part exactly are you talking about? the rad is held in by 2 brackets at the top and the lower crossmember.. unless your talking about the core support

CLEAN-ASS-EK
03-21-2005, 08:53 AM
No It's the radiator support it looks like this
http://www.partstrain.com/images/products_large/1311.JPG
it is welded onto the frame of the car any idea of how to remove it?

cut it off-Jigsaw maybe?

accented
03-21-2005, 09:43 AM
are you trying to just get rid of it? without ever wanting to use it again?

if so, go ahead and just get an oxy-acetylene and cut it off then grind down what is left.

if you are wanting to use it again later, do what hipsi reccomended with grinding the welds off.

efman
03-21-2005, 12:21 PM
diy is more for "how to" type posts, not questions so i moved the post to general tech.

the only good way to get the welds off is to grind them off, very simple to do with a handheld grinder and a cutting/grinding wheel. once you get through those welds it'll come right off. butane torch won't do crap to an actual weld other than make it too hot to touch, it won't even begin to melt the metal. the only torch you could use would be oxy/acetylene but that would burn a bigass hole right through, so i don't recommend it. just go with the grinder, cheap and easy to do.
:goodjob:

flysi00
03-21-2005, 11:22 PM

Yep best way to go

tank500999
05-19-2005, 02:06 AM
or you can go to a body supply store and get a spot weld cutter(remover). just drill out every spot weld you see that holding the core onto the frame.and then grind it out. this way when you get another core support you wont have to worry about the frame being all messed up when you go to spot weld it back