PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods H22/H23 build help

99jdmLs
06-22-2008, 11:22 AM
i have acquired an H22 head and a H23 block. i want to build it up to drop in either my teg when my motor goes or a crx shell that my bro has when im done building it. really don't know where to start with this build so if anyone has some info that would be great. i prob will boost it and make it into a track car but it will be a long ongoin project. lol. i want to build it right to, meaning nothing cheap so what kind of after market parts should i get for the build. reps for anyone that helps! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
which tranny should i use. which after market parts should i get. should i even boost it or not. leave it all motor? anything and everything will help. i don't wanna throw all this cash into a motor that ill screw up. lol.

all-mota
06-22-2008, 11:32 AM
you should be able to make 240whp or so with a pretty simple high compression bottom end and a proted head with some nice cams and intake and exhaust combo. it's just prefrence on which way you would want to do it. because turboing is a little more cost effective

K24cb7coupe
06-22-2008, 11:49 AM
if you wanna go boost i have a built h22 block forsale

B_Hoov
06-22-2008, 11:57 AM
just sold my full mount kit to drop that motor into an EF...i do have a golden eagle manifold that i trimmed and welded to fit an h22 ef. go to http://www.explicitspeedperformance.net and check them out, they offer everything to get the motor in and have information and part numbers for things like the axles you'll need, wiring harness etc...

99jdmLs
06-22-2008, 12:18 PM
not really wanting to buy a dif block or head that i already have. lol. and turbo is a lil more costly yes, i just know i need to decide what i wanna do b4 i build. so im gonna stay in between until someone can convince me which way to go or i just get lazy. lol.

94ludeguy
06-22-2008, 01:29 PM
you should check out a site more specific to ludes like preludepower preludeonline or even hondatech. there will be a lot more info on those sites. not saying that there is not good info on here but you will find answers faster.

Imadaman
06-22-2008, 10:36 PM
preludepower.com

.::UNKNOWN::.
06-23-2008, 12:47 AM
if you want all motor an h23 vtec build is actually really tricky and unreliable if you don't have every thing perfect...... you can easily do an all motor build on the h22 and get amazing power........ one example mahle gold series high compression pistons(only piston that will work with the frm stock sleeves) puts you at 11.5:1 compression ratio.... balance the crank, forged rods..... on to the cams proven cams jun(very pricey), skunk 2 pro(decent price) and crowler cams all have great potential and have a proven name then you can always do a mild build and go the jdm type s cams which will work with the stock valve springs and valves and have a more aggressive lobe.....then we move on to the header you can go proven RMF only true 4 to 1 header very pricey but proven..... stay away from dc sports the quality has droped due to new ownership if i am not mistaken they are now owned by pilot automotive who outsources them to china...it is all how you want to do it ..... now if you want to go boost and not resleeve the block be careful i have heard mixed opinions on the stock sleeves holding to boost.... but they do have a mahle gold series low compression pistons:goodjob: keep in mind do it right the first time and
cheap + reliable= not fast
cheap + fast= not reliable
fast + reliable= not cheap:yes:

southside
06-23-2008, 02:55 AM
damn cheap + fast= not reliable got dammit.But I say you just do h2b would run nice in the teg or the rex.

99jdmLs
06-23-2008, 06:07 AM
cheap + reliable= not fast
cheap + fast= not reliable
fast + reliable= not cheap:yes:[/QUOTE]

ya, ive seen cheap done and also seen the same cars end up back in the garage in either a few month or weeks. y im just gonna put the extra cash into it and do it right. :goodjob:
as for the h2b, i know u know need some tpye of adapter plate? and it can be kind of pricey. do i even need to build the motor different with that? lol. so many things that are unknown to me. and would anyone reccomend boring the h23 block? or should i just leave it alone and buy the internals and what not

B_Hoov
06-23-2008, 07:56 AM
let me say this...my buddy has a h22 swap in his EG hatch, hondata and spraying it of course, he also has an ls turbo in his 4 door, two crx's that just have bolt ons, and a couple jeeps between him and his girl...the MOST reliable thing he drives is the hatch with the h swap that he has been spraying for 3 or 4 years now! i would do that honestly, hondata s200 has a nitrous controller built into it, you could pretty much do intake,exhaust and spray like he has been, just something to consider, less variables to go wrong in the end IMO, im finishing up a d series im going to be spraying and throwing in my hatch rather than my turbo H, simply because it's easier and there is less that can go wrong, no it's not as "baller" as a turbo H but when your winning is that what matters?

9ussy
06-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Go H2B...

99jdmLs
06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
alright, if i go h2b, what tranny should i use. i don't think i need to go with ls. lol. if i got the cash go itr and if not gsr? and anyone know where or how much that adapter plate is, or whatever its called......

all-mota
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
quater sports and evolution indudtries both make kits around 1k or used to be anyway

sncracing1
06-23-2008, 06:31 PM
If you go H2B you dont have to build it any different. I just dont it in my EG6 and i love it. I ran the Evolution kit and i done another evolution h2b for a buddy of mine. It does cost a little more to do it but i think its worth it...another thing to consider is if your goin to go h2b if you find somebody else to do it you can buy to and become a dealer for evolution and get them cheaper(if i would have known i would have done that up front). there are some advantages and disadvantages to it though....one advantage is that you can run stock b series cv axles and half shaft, another thing is the shift linkage isnt a cable(personal advantage....tha disadvantages are that you have to notch the back of the block to clear the driver side cv axle. its not a big deal though they send a template...the only other disadvantage is that you have to run the evolution flywheel...supposidly you can buy a spacer and use a aftermarket flywheel but i dont know for sure. and the kit with the mounts is up to like 1300 now:cry: but for the money compared to the qsd kit i think its worth it.

06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
H2b is all great but you got to consider no b series tranny has been built to withstand a considerable amount of torque.... you have to consider that in my opinion.... the gearing was built by honda for a less torquey more rev happy motor... dont get me wrong h2b is a beast of a swap.... i just dont get how a b series tranny can hold up to the stock 160 ftlbs and then all you do is keep going up but hey that imo.

06-23-2008, 07:04 PM
would anyone reccomend boring the h23 block? or should i just leave it alone and buy the internals and what not
boring the h23 block, no, just because just like the ls is to a gsr a h23 is to a h22 the blocks are identical..... when i say the build is tricky nobody out there makes a h23 vtec kit like they make a ls vtec kit... i am knowledgeable about this build i just have to pull my notes where i mapped it out.... i just backed off bc it was cheaper to just get an h22 from from a repretable motor company...

all-mota
06-23-2008, 07:05 PM
H2b is all great but you got to consider no b series tranny has been built to withstand a considerable amount of torque.... you have to consider that in my opinion.... the gearing was built by honda for a less torquey more rev happy motor... dont get me wrong h2b is a beast of a swap.... i just dont get how a b series tranny can hold up to the stock 160 ftlbs and then all you do is keep going up but hey that imo.

h series trannys aren't either.

and with the aftermarket support they have for b series trannys you will never have a problem with it spfwd guys are making 800 to 900 whp and 600 ftlbs and they only thing they run are cuffs to eliminate 5th gear because the mainshaft and counter shaft pread under heavy load.

so you might want to do some research and try to come with a better argument that ones bs

06-23-2008, 08:09 PM
h series trannys aren't either.

and with the aftermarket support they have for b series trannys you will never have a problem with it spfwd guys are making 800 to 900 whp and 600 ftlbs and they only thing they run are cuffs to eliminate 5th gear because the mainshaft and counter shaft pread under heavy load.

so you might want to do some research and try to come with a better argument that ones bs i said it was my opinion you dont have to try to be an e thug to every body who disagrees with you.... and i am talking about keeping a tranny stock... all i said the h series was built with stock torquey motor in mind i never said anything about withstanding horse power..... i know h series.... i know nothing about b series and never claimed to i was thinking he was keeping it stock and what i said wasn't an arguement i said i just didn't understand how it worked using simple theorys and my train of thought.... and should i quote my first line "H2b is all great but you got to consider no b series tranny has been built to withstand a considerable amount of torque.... you have to consider that in my opinion" and quoting simple specs h22a1 190 hp@6800rpms and 155 ft/lbs @ 5500rpms of torque just to say a b18c5 195hp @8000rpms 130 ft/lbs of torque @7300rpms

99jdmLs
06-23-2008, 08:53 PM
does anyone actually have some specs or dyno charts, times, ect. on a h2b build and a reg h22/h23 build (with say a h22 tranny). i know the h2b will be slightly quicker, or alot. not 100% sure. but is that power worth the $1379 for the evo industries h2b kit i jsut priced. lol.

sncracing1
06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
dude honestly it dont matter the h swap itself will run good either way...i am runnin a stock s4c b series tranny and i had no problems out of mine...i would do a fresh rebuild on the tranny to begin with and do the carbon coated syncros and a good lsd...ive had no problems and launched at 8000rpms with slicks and its held so....its all up to your preference

all-mota
06-23-2008, 09:35 PM
i said it was my opinion you dont have to try to be an e thug to every body who disagrees with you.... and i am talking about keeping a tranny stock... all i said the h series was built with stock torquey motor in mind i never said anything about withstanding horse power..... i know h series.... i know nothing about b series and never claimed to i was thinking he was keeping it stock and what i said wasn't an arguement i said i just didn't understand how it worked using simple theorys and my train of thought.... and should i quote my first line "H2b is all great but you got to consider no b series tranny has been built to withstand a considerable amount of torque.... you have to consider that in my opinion" and quoting simple specs h22a1 190 hp@6800rpms and 155 ft/lbs @ 5500rpms of torque just to say a b18c5 195hp @8000rpms 130 ft/lbs of torque @7300rpms

no where in that post was i being a e-thug i was stating facts. your stating your opinion which is your opinion but isn't the truth. both transmissions in their stock forms are equally strong with the b series tranny having more aftermarket support with gear selection and lsd's. thats what i was stating above, regardless of torque or horsepower levels most people will never reach levels that a stock h series tranny with a lsd or a b series tranny with lsd can't handle.

if your tear down a h series tranny and a beries tranny there is no huge difference in the sizing of the mainshaft counter shaft or the gears themselfs and thats facts.

all-mota
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
does anyone actually have some specs or dyno charts, times, ect. on a h2b build and a reg h22/h23 build (with say a h22 tranny). i know the h2b will be slightly quicker, or alot. not 100% sure. but is that power worth the $1379 for the evo industries h2b kit i jsut priced. lol.

just look around on honda-tech.com you can find them on there and find some track times also