PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices- Julio chime in...

SilviaK93
08-22-2005, 05:47 PM
I just got this email and thought I might share..... Would like to hear Julio's thoughts if possible? Not really sure if this could or would work BUT I do know I am tired of paying F*(&% $35.00 to fill my POS Grand Prix!

I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer. Want
> gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united
> action
>
> Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea:
>
> This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"
> campaign that was going around last April or May!
>
> The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't
> continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an
> inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought
> of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.
>
> Please read it and join with us!
>
> By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is
> super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.75 for regular unleaded in my
> town.
>
> Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us
> to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75, we
> need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
> marketplace.... not sellers.
>
> With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need
> to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come
> down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!
>
>
> And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
>
> How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.
> But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force
> a price war.
>
> Here's the idea:
>
> For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two
> biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not
> selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they
> reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
>
> But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon
> and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp (sic)
> out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it
> is to reach millions of people!!
>
> I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it
> to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at
> least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) .. and so on, by the time the message
> reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE
> MILLION consumers!
>
> If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends
> each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one
> level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
> Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people and DON"T purchase
> ANY gasoline from EXXON and MOBIL. That's all.
>
> How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to
> ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could
> conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't
> think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can
> make a difference.
>
> If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
>
> PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND
> KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK
>
> Suzanne J. Bennett
> Contract Administrator

eViLMunkey
08-22-2005, 05:51 PM
well I drive a civic DX hatch... I love the $25 (89 octane)to fill it up once a week...

Scrappy
08-22-2005, 05:54 PM
i love the $17 to fill up once a week :D

ProjectWidow
08-22-2005, 05:57 PM
yeh it took about $30 bux to fill up my Prelude last week. back when i moved to GA in 97 gas was about .70 CENTS!

i wonder if that would really work, not buying gas from exxon or mobil.

u drive the civic or the mazda? i thought scrappy was broken. Or do you drive something else

b18hb
08-22-2005, 05:57 PM
repost, and it will never happen anyway.

Chuckster
08-22-2005, 06:39 PM
i dont fill up with those dudes anyways

Scrappy
08-22-2005, 06:54 PM
yeh it took about $30 bux to fill up my Prelude last week. back when i moved to GA in 97 gas was about .70 CENTS!

i wonder if that would really work, not buying gas from exxon or mobil.

u drive the civic or the mazda? i thought scrappy was broken. Or do you drive something else

scrappy has been fixed, i drive that alot more than the mazda because I hate auto's :rant:

IndianStig
08-22-2005, 07:02 PM
fu*k julio, i can read his mind and he says get a motorbike :blah:

technoteg97
08-22-2005, 07:26 PM
my dad owns gas stations in tha metro area n tha pplz sayin Its gunna keep goin up till Labor day weekend.

Julio
08-22-2005, 07:29 PM
It will never happen. If you think about it, EXXON and MOBILE really don't have a market in the Southeast anymore.

In the complete state of GA price is cheap thanks to company's such as Pilot,QT & racetrac, If we did not have these companies in GA, gas wouldve already be in the $3.00 range. WHy I say that? Here are some details

Racetrac,QT and Pilot Do not rely as much in gas sales as before.. Im sure you guys have walked in any of these station and noticed All the Hot quick food, More Fountain drink options, Shakes, Slurpy's, more cappucino flavors, electronics etc.

GA is a state the loves to eat, especially fast, quik food.. so the food business is making money right now..

Cliff notes: (sorda)
Gas stations Providing not only gas, But hot warm food, a variety of drinks in a fast pace enviroment.. By being succesful in this area it helps GAS STATIONS such as Qt, Pilot and racetrac keep GAS prices as low as they are now.

Why do you guys think sometimes you may see a QT or a RACETRAC in one corner selling gas for $2.00 and a 1/4 down you see a mom and pop store or even another gas station selling gas for up to .30 cents higher? Because they dont have jack shit to provide in the inside to make up lost with the fuel.

So that idea will not work. Atleast in the GA market. Believe it or not Some QT/PLIOT and Racetracs are making more profit with there inside sales then FUEL.

civic95
08-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Some stations are selling it cheaper than they pay for it just to get more business to make money on food (as Julio said), beer, cigarettes, etc.

The only way to get the price cheaper is to either decrease demand, or increase production.

The only way to remotely bring the price down would be for everyone in America to stay home on strike for 1 week. That means no driving anywhere. But then the price would slowly climb back up as everyone went back to work when demand was restored.

If we could all take a part in driving less, changing our driving habits when we do drive, and driving something somewhat efficent then the price would go down.

But then theres China. Now the middle class can afford 1 car per family. The middle class used to be a small percentage. Most were either poor, or rich. Their economy is changing, and the middle class is growing larger everyday.

Chuckster
08-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Racetrac,QT and Pilot Do not rely as much in gas sales as before.. Im sure you guys have walked in any of these station and noticed All the Hot quick food, More Fountain drink options, Shakes, Slurpy's, more cappucino flavors, electronics etc.

shit yea dude, i walked into qt on saturday and it took me liek 15 mins to figure out wtf kinda drink i wanted. So i just grabed a cup and started sampling. Everybody started stairing and laughing cuz brandi was makeing a big ass scene about it, saying that im gonna get in trouble. Hehe, geuss what i didnt and i got the orange flavor slushy.

Damn that was some good shit!

redgst97
08-22-2005, 10:45 PM

I put $85 in the dually a few days ago...Its empty now.

John

SLOWR/T
08-22-2005, 11:25 PM
of course it will never happen with everyone saying it will never happen and not wanting to atleast try it weather in GA of TX

SleepingTalon
08-23-2005, 02:34 AM
My S4 gets like 12 miles/gallon, its terrible. I have to use premium too, and it costs $45 to fill up! Add to that the fact that I have to fill up pretty much every 2-3 days and it becomes a costly month to drive this car, lol. I cant believe how insane these prices are becoming. If it lasts much longer, Im gonna be looking for a civic really soon...

Boosted S60R
08-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Yeah it cost me 65 bucks to fill up my pos daily driver and almost 50 to fill up the Volvo. The really bad thing is I am screwed either way on gas both of the cars get around 13-16mpg, it sucks.

Ruiner
08-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Won't work, guys. It is flawed. Remember, China and other countries have upped their consumption. The US isn't the only gas-heavy country. OPEC will still make a killing if we limit things.

The bigger companies will falter and competition will decrease. Not good.

RISKYB
08-23-2005, 10:46 AM
yeah gas prices suck, but i dont feel like peddling the bike 30 miles to and 3o miles home form work so, and the hybrids just look shitty and slow

Kristi
08-23-2005, 11:28 AM
it took $40 to fill mine up the other day, but oh well - you have to have the gas to get around, so just suck it up

civic95
08-23-2005, 11:53 AM
To those that think the stations are ripping us off

On average, one in every 1,100 fill-ups was a gas theft last year, the National Association of Convenience Stores said. With about a penny per gallon as profit, a retailer would have to sell an extra 3,000 gallons to offset each $30 stolen, said Jeff Lenard, a spokesman for the group. Caddi would have had to pump an extra 5,200 gallons to make up for the $52 drive-off.