PDA

View Full Version : Vtech Controller Question???

2rudelude
08-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Sup everyone, I've had the Field V-Tech Controller installed about a month ago an never played with it up untill a couple of days ago. It seems that the car'll hit V-Tech at whichever RPM I adust it at but it doesnt feel like its really pushing V-Tech till about 4500-5000. Basically if I set it at say: 4000 RPM the car'll get louder respective of the V-Tech sound but wont go faster till it hits the stock V-Tech limit of 4500 on thru. Im worried that mayb from previous dyno'n/tuning that the Controller is set-up so I cant make any adjustments unless tuned by a professiona,l or am I not doing something right :(

mp5o
08-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Don't mess with your vtec engagement point. Your only making it worse.

B16a2 Civic
08-22-2005, 05:15 PM
vtec stands for variable timing some other....basically....its just gon put more stress on your engine to attempt to make it faster....vteckidd will probably asnwer this question better...but personally...vtec only eats up gas Lol

2rudelude
08-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I have a good understanding how the gadget works but Im really feeling as if I lost outta 300 bucks here.

mp5o
08-22-2005, 05:53 PM
You did.

2rudelude
08-22-2005, 05:59 PM
So whats really the purpose of having a V-Tech Controller?

speedminded
08-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Sup everyone, I've had the Field V-Tech Controller installed about a month ago an never played with it up untill a couple of days ago. It seems that the car'll hit V-Tech at whichever RPM I adust it at but it doesnt feel like its really pushing V-Tech till about 4500-5000. Basically if I set it at say: 4000 RPM the car'll get louder respective of the V-Tech sound but wont go faster till it hits the stock V-Tech limit of 4500 on thru. Im worried that mayb from previous dyno'n/tuning that the Controller is set-up so I cant make any adjustments unless tuned by a professiona,l or am I not
doing something right :(

So whats really the purpose of having a V-Tech Controller?you're not doing something right, com'n dude...if you don't even know it's VTEC then how the hell can you know what it does or what to change it to? If you are a stock engine with the original ECU than there is no use in even thinking about adjusting it. Unless you change your gearing, cams, or even adjust the cams, then there should be no need to change the VTEC engagement point. I did originally because i was running the wrong ecu, then once i got the right one, i still had to make minor adjustments because i'm running a differant transmission than my engine is intended for...i had to lower my engagement point just a little because it would drop out when upshifting due to having such tall gears.

Did you even write down anything to record what was setup before or did you just change the engagement point? Not sure if the Fields controller can adjust fuel curves but i'd strongly suggest against it unless you're one of the select few on here than can do it driving down a road...get it on a dyno and leave it alone until the next mod.

Negrodamus
08-22-2005, 07:02 PM
http://fcsurplus.ca/phone/images/530051c.jpg

ash7
08-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Sup everyone, I've had the Field V-Tech Controller installed about a month ago an never played with it up untill a couple of days ago. It seems that the car'll hit V-Tech

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaAHAHAHAHAHahah ahaHAAHAHAhaha x 1,205,584! *sniff*sniff* oh man...

So... how does your mom feel about you tuning your car with her cordless phone?

dazn
08-22-2005, 09:23 PM
uh, you should put the engagement point back to where it was and stop messing with it, immediately

2rudelude
08-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I did happen to get it dyno'd with other mods.

AEM Pulley
Skunk 2 Camshaft (stage 1)
Skunk 2 Camgears
Super AFC-II
JE Pistons (9.0:1)

I'd like to really know if I wired it wrong or it didnt get dyno'd with the other mods or something.

2rudelude
08-23-2005, 12:39 PM
uh, you should put the engagement point back to where it was and stop messing with it, immediately

Thanks, the cars in the shoppe' but i'll do that come Friday

2rudelude
08-23-2005, 12:54 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaAHAHAHAHAHahah ahaHAAHAHAhaha x 1,205,584! *sniff*sniff* oh man...

So... how does your mom feel about you tuning your car with her cordless phone?

Lol, I used to own that phone

THANKS FOR PURCHASING THE ULTIMATE PEICE OF S*** PHONE... PLUG IN AN LET THE PROBLEMS BEGIN

That was like the 1st unprepaid house phone. After 20 minutes the battery was dead an then if you even walk 10 feet from the charger you'll be hear other peoples conversations. I just used it for a police scanner, hear what teh local jokers got going on. But fa'real help me out with this V-Tech Controller question because it feels like a bought a mini-breather for horsepower

99SI
08-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Take it to mainstream performance and let them tune it on the dyno. You will not see any noticeable gains by "playing" with it yourself. You will however fuck your shit up very badly if you change the fuel tables and lean it out. Or you will burn the shit out of some expensive ass gas and foul out plugs and start skipping by making it too rich. As far as you setting your VTEC crossover to 4k rpm's that's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Don't play with shit if you don't know how it works. Take it to someone who does and you might actually get your money's worth out of it. I seriously doubt it though.

99SI
08-23-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm thinking this is probably the same ass clown that posted awhile back that finally got called out and is really a 240 owner.

2rudelude
08-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Naw I was with Unique Creations a while back Brett should be able to vouch for me having a Prelude along with Atif

99SI
08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
I was just curious since right on the top of the fucking valve cover it says VTEC

2rudelude
08-23-2005, 04:23 PM
I dont really race my car or push it hard, even since all the upgrades. I just wanted to try out the Controller, because I've heard that when the engines cold you can set it to a higher RPM so the car wont hit V-Tech an I've heard that setting it at a lower RPM would make the car ruhn harder

2rudelude
08-23-2005, 04:24 PM
right

99SI
08-23-2005, 04:38 PM
VTEC??? see what I'm saying there? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, wait, yes I am. If you want to set it higher for a bit then that's fine, it won't kick into vtec but your car is already programmed that if it is not at full operating temperature it will not engage vtec. If you want to raise it because you are engaging into vtec when you don't want to ie: cruising on the freeway, then that's fine. If you want to lower it 500 or so RPM's when you're having a spirited run well that's fine as well. Fucking with fuel tables and lowering vtec engagement to 4k rpms is not OK unless you want to cause major damage to your engine.

2rudelude
08-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Ok, I appreciate that thread im not fucking with the engagement point on the SAFC-II. I just wont mess with it at all because i dont wanna damage anything. Thanks again

Vteckidd
08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
TUNE it on a dyno, otherwise messing with vtec is worthless.

2rudelude
08-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Tell me this if I already got it dyno'd with it installed wouldnt they had to had tuned it because the guy that was dyno'ing mapped my SAFC-II but I didnt really check or bother to ask about the Controller Unit

Vteckidd
08-23-2005, 06:52 PM
ok ill make this as simple as possible.

A SAFC cannot conrtol VTEC. it can only control fuel.
A Fields VTEC CONTROLLER is an older styl VTEC controller. this allows you to tune fuel AND set Vtec engagement.

Now, lowering VTEC really wont do anything UNLESS its on a dyno. itll feel sluggish and slow likewiese if you set it to high . a/f ration is relevant to when the VTEC cam switches on from the LOW cam AKA NON VTEC lobes on the camshaft.

If you are changing vtec to be lower, you SHOULD hear it crossover, but your right, it might be dog rich or slow and sluggish and not take off until the "stock RPM" that vtec was orignally set at.

Unless you have a $700 header and big camshafts, you cant set vtec really low IMO. you cant move enough air.

FYI: skunk2 Stage 1s like vtec around 5500-6000rpms. they are a little more aggressive than CTR camshafts which engage at 5800rpms.

My vtec engages at 6800 on my new engine, but i also rev to 11k.

Vtec really shouldnt be touched unless you are on a dyno. and no, ANYONE with a dyno (MAINSTREAM PERFORMANCE , Batlground, Knowledge etc ) can tune a SAFC and a Fields.

I would personally sell the SAFC 2 and the Fields controller and buy a VAFC 2. VAFC can do the same thing that a SAFC AND a FIELDS can do and it would eliminate ALOT of wiring. of course them i would tell you to go UBERDATA cause its cheaper and then you can crontol ignition :)

2rudelude
08-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks you guys I didnt mean to make so much fuss about it, I'll just leave it alone when i get my car back. But ima b selling my car so feel free to inquire about it. Thanks again, Holla.