PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Can't decide on a track car...need help

Reaper
06-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm in between a e36 m3 idc if its obd1 or 2..yes i knw the differences..really doesn't matter to me..Incredible track cars, lots of potential but you see em every where

OR a 1994 porsche 968...totally different cars...lots of people hate the 968's..I think they are somewhat rare and sexy..and they handle great...although parts are a little more scarce/expensive

What ya'll think and why?

wantboost
06-15-2008, 08:57 PM
when you say track car what do you mean exactly

do you have race license?

what are you planning on doing? hpde, auto-x , time attack, or actually being competitive in wheel-2-wheel racing?

Reaper
06-15-2008, 09:00 PM
when you say track car what do you mean exactly

do you have race license?

what are you planning on doing? hpde, auto-x , time attack, or actually being competitive in wheel-2-wheel racing?

little bit of everything...I like all kinds of racing. I don't have my racing license but want to get it soon. I'd like to auto-x and MAYBE drift...but I'd rather get into scca/autox and I need something that can take a beating(i'm not nice to cars).

I like to drag, autox, drift, and something I can have fun with if I wanna drive it on a daily basis(not that I will, but whatever)....I like to drive...I drive hard...but I can't have something break on me every 5 minutes...My IS300 held up VERY well...but thats like a bullet proof car

allmotoronly
06-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Between those two choices, I say go with the M3. If you want to spend a little more, but have something that could take you farther in the long run, find a early to mid 90's porsche 911. You would probably end up spending a lot extra on either of your two choices just to make it as capible as a 993 Non turbo. You can find them on ebay selling in the low to mid $20k's

like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1996-PORSCHE-911-3-6-COUPE-282-HP-AIR-COOLED-BEAUTY_W0QQitemZ130229664800QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Tru cksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130229664800&

http://photos2.ebizautos.com/1282/2990917_2.jpg

http://photos2.ebizautos.com/1282/2990917_4.jpg

just my $.02

Reaper
06-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Trust me I've definitely considered this! It's just hard to find 1 in decent condition for the price. Thats a smokin deal though!! I can't really go over $22k...And I'm trying to buy a new SUV and a wakeboard boat..but both of those are down the road(few months) I want a car now. I definitely appreciate that!!

81911SC
06-15-2008, 09:28 PM
If you choose the BMW, you have a problem.

81911SC
06-15-2008, 09:29 PM
But if you try and drift a 911, I will kill you.

Reaper
06-15-2008, 09:32 PM
But if you try and drift a 911, I will kill you.

Well I have no desire to drift a 911...I was really talkin about the 968 or the m3...

But as far as autox, and road racing a 911 would be great...but for the same price of a 993 you can get a 996...I personally like the 993's a bit better...exterior wise, but I like the interior of the 996's...I was thinkin potentially a motor swap or something for a 996..but if I got a 993 i'd just do bolt ons and suspension

81911SC
06-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Remeber, engine wise there is a huge difference. Go with the real 911. :wink:

Reaper
06-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Remeber, engine wise there is a huge difference. Go with the real 911. :wink:

Yeah I figured you'd say that...I was talking to Johnny aka "theyoungn" who has the Cayman today on the phone and he suggested the 993..Most porsche guys do unless its a 996 Turbo...and even then the 993 turbo=sex:idb:

SampaGuy
06-15-2008, 10:07 PM
If you want to be competitive (either autocrossing or racing or whatever) I would figure out exactly what class and what not you are planning on being in and then buy the car that is proven to do good in that class.

Reaper
06-15-2008, 10:10 PM
If you want to be competitive (either autocrossing or racing or whatever) I would figure out exactly what class and what not you are planning on being in and then buy the car that is proven to do good in that class.

I'm not THAT serious about it...I just want something trackable...fun...reliable...can take somewhat of a beating, yet respectable/sexy

81911SC
06-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah I figured you'd say that...I was talking to Johnny aka "theyoungn" who has the Cayman today on the phone and he suggested the 993..Most porsche guys do unless its a 996 Turbo...and even then the 993 turbo=sex:idb:993T is amazingly beautiful. Prices are not so much though. Look into 964's or 930's too. :bowdown:

Reaper
06-15-2008, 10:18 PM
993T is amazingly beautiful. Prices are not so much though. Look into 964's or 930's too. :bowdown:

werd

SampaGuy
06-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Hell for 22k you could get a lotus 7 or cobra replica, v8 datsun Zs, v8 rx7s, etc and get more bang for your buck

heres a good deal, though it might be a little extreme
http://www.pd-go.com/index.php?action=website-view&WebPageID=19275&WebSiteID=409

Reaper
06-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Hell for 22k you could get a lotus 7 or cobra replica, v8 datsun Zs, v8 rx7s, etc and get more bang for your buck

heres a good deal, though it might be a little extreme
http://www.pd-go.com/index.php?action=website-view&WebPageID=19275&WebSiteID=409

thats sick as hell! But I want something I can put on the road...thats def. NOT street legal haha

IDCoconut
06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
I'd suggest you really decide what you're going to do with the car, because right now you're flying blind.

As far as 996 vs 993......this can become a long thread, and I'm glad this is not rennlist. But to sum it up, if you wan't nostalgia, soul, better driver response, go get you a 993. Overall better performance out of the box, bet on the 996.

Be weary of the early 996's, as they tend to blow motors....it's a problem.

Nothing wrong with a 968 either. But best bang for the buck as far as front engine P-cars go is a 951. Quick, easy, bolt on power.

Reaper
06-16-2008, 08:58 AM
I'd suggest you really decide what you're going to do with the car, because right now you're flying blind.

As far as 996 vs 993......this can become a long thread, and I'm glad this is not rennlist. But to sum it up, if you wan't nostalgia, soul, better driver response, go get you a 993. Overall better performance out of the box, bet on the 996.

Be weary of the early 996's, as they tend to blow motors....it's a problem.

Nothing wrong with a 968 either. But best bang for the buck as far as front engine P-cars go is a 951. Quick, easy, bolt on power.

Well really the whole point is to make an ALL AROUND great car...something with a "few" upgrades that I can use for almost any track set up..I know I'm flying blind, but I'm so indecisive with everything that no matter what I get I'll change my mind with what I'm gonna do with it.

I know 996's have a tendency to pop motors...which was another question I've had...where the fawk can you find a race motor that'll fit in the 996? Idc how much it is...just for future reference :D

thanks for the input!

StraightSix
06-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm in between a e36 m3 idc if its obd1 or 2..yes i knw the differences..really doesn't matter to me..Incredible track cars, lots of potential but you see em every where

OR a 1994 porsche 968...totally different cars...lots of people hate the 968's..I think they are somewhat rare and sexy..and they handle great...although parts are a little more scarce/expensive

What ya'll think and why?

IMO, you need a third option for your poll.....None of the above.

I like both the E36 M3 and the 968, but I would not recommend either to someone wanting to learn to track drive. In fact, I'll go on to say that I think the E36 M3 is perhaps one of the best cars to track, and that's what makes it a terrible choice. The E36 M3's suspension is great, but it's good enough that it can mask some bad driving habits. The 968 is basically a heavier 944 with updated body work and more complicated engine.

I highly recommend starting to do track events in something that is slow but handles well. My short list of cars to recommend to a track noob are 1987-1991 E30 325i(s), 1983-1992 (?) Porsche 944, and 1990+ Mazda Miata.

Learning to drive a slow car fast will pay off in the long run. It will teach you how to conserve momentum and get the most out of what the car has available. Many of our most competitive racers started driving momentum cars and are very fast now.

The list of cars that I suggest will also give you a direct path to race series. The E30 can go to SpecE30, the 944 can go to 944Cup and the Miata into SpecMiata. There are other options available in NASA racing for all three of those cars beyond the obvious Spec classes.

The Youngn
06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
i already told you james....buy my car so i can get my GT3

Reaper
06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
i already told you james....buy my car so i can get my GT3

sell it to me for 25grand and you've got a fuccing deal

Sport1.3
06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
get the M3.

Reaper
06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
IMO, you need a third option for your poll.....None of the above.

I like both the E36 M3 and the 968, but I would not recommend either to someone wanting to learn to track drive. In fact, I'll go on to say that I think the E36 M3 is perhaps one of the best cars to track, and that's what makes it a terrible choice. The E36 M3's suspension is great, but it's good enough that it can mask some bad driving habits. The 968 is basically a heavier 944 with updated body work and more complicated engine.

I highly recommend starting to do track events in something that is slow but handles well. My short list of cars to recommend to a track noob are 1987-1991 E30 325i(s), 1983-1992 (?) Porsche 944, and 1990+ Mazda Miata.

Learning to drive a slow car fast will pay off in the long run. It will teach you how to conserve momentum and get the most out of what the car has available. Many of our most competitive racers started driving momentum cars and are very fast now.

The list of cars that I suggest will also give you a direct path to race series. The E30 can go to SpecE30, the 944 can go to 944Cup and the Miata into SpecMiata. There are other options available in NASA racing for all three of those cars beyond the obvious Spec classes.

I totally agree with you. I by no means am an incredible driver but i've been to a few driving schools and have learned outside of that from some good drivers...So I atleast know a little bit. I agree with you on the cars you suggested as well...But the catch is I don't want something that everyone has...this is goign to be something not just for SCCA or NASA...or whatever. Its more meant for MY pure enjoyment and the option of putting it on the track if I want to.

Sorry I should have re-worded my thread entirely. Track-capable is more like it. An "all around" car if you will...I like the 944's...i can't fit in miata's very well...and I'm sick of e30's(my best friend has 3, and 2 of other of my friends have 1 each)...

I'm really not sure as to what I'm going to do. But I'm really wanting a porsche or BMW...I don't want an audi b/c they are problematic and its not exactly the greatest car to track...and awd ftl with the way gas prices are.

So we'll see where things go. I appreciate everyone's input greatly!

btw your right about the e36 m3 masking poor driving habits...I know some terrible drivers that own these cars and it makes em look a lot better than they are. But put a GOOD driver behind the wheel of one, and that car will be hanging with cars it has no business hanging with...:goodjob:

StraightSix
06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I totally agree with you. I by no means am an incredible driver but i've been to a few driving schools and have learned outside of that from some good drivers...So I atleast know a little bit. I agree with you on the cars you suggested as well...But the catch is I don't want something that everyone has...this is goign to be something not just for SCCA or NASA...or whatever. Its more meant for MY pure enjoyment and the option of putting it on the track if I want to.

Well, that changes everything, lol.

So, something in a Porsche or BMW that not everyone has...

The 968 certainly fits that bill, the M3, not so much.

What about something older than the early '90s? Perhaps something like an E28 M5 or 535is. Throw some supsension bits at it, and it'll handle really well. Still a 4 door so friends can ride along after the track day is done, or whatever, and not something often seen at the track.

btw your right about the e36 m3 masking poor driving habits...I know some terrible drivers that own these cars and it makes em look a lot better than they are. But put a GOOD driver behind the wheel of one, and that car will be hanging with cars it has no business hanging with...:goodjob:

There's no doubt that E36 M3s can be stupid fast in the right hands.

If it were my decision to make, I think I would go E36 M3 out of the two options because of better parts availability and a much more robust aftermarket.

Reaper
06-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, that changes everything, lol.

So, something in a Porsche or BMW that not everyone has...

The 968 certainly fits that bill, the M3, not so much.

What about something older than the early '90s? Perhaps something like an E28 M5 or 535is. Throw some supsension bits at it, and it'll handle really well. Still a 4 door so friends can ride along after the track day is done, or whatever, and not something often seen at the track.

There's no doubt that E36 M3s can be stupid fast in the right hands.

If it were my decision to make, I think I would go E36 M3 out of the two options because of better parts availability and a much more robust aftermarket.

You definitely know your stuff sir:goodjob: I am impressed. I've actually considered older BMW's...M5 and what not...they are just expensive for what they are. I do like e30 M3's but once again I'd rather get an e36 with suspension, bolt ons, cam kit+tune and maybe some weight reduction. They are great cars...

Reps!

StraightSix
06-16-2008, 12:57 PM
You definitely know your stuff sir:goodjob: I am impressed.

Thanks!

I've actually considered older BMW's...M5 and what not...they are just expensive for what they are. I do like e30 M3's but once again I'd rather get an e36 with suspension, bolt ons, cam kit+tune and maybe some weight reduction. They are great cars...

Reps!

E30 M3s are also a lot more rare and more of a handful to drive. I would love to have one, though.

One more suggestion....what about an MCoupe? Another BMW seldom seen on track. The biggest drawback that I can immediately think of is that the suspension is nearly identical to E30s.

I'll stop making suggestions now, lol.

Reaper
06-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks!

E30 M3s are also a lot more rare and more of a handful to drive. I would love to have one, though.

One more suggestion....what about an MCoupe? Another BMW seldom seen on track. The biggest drawback that I can immediately think of is that the suspension is nearly identical to E30s.

I'll stop making suggestions now, lol.

also considered that...heard they aren't the greatest of cars...but believe me I've considered it haha

OneSlow5pt0
06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
i love 968s........but i think a 944 would be a way better track car,or even check out some RX-7s

slostang
06-16-2008, 11:42 PM
m3

NoRotor
06-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Neither.

Track car? w/ that type of budget?..... LS1 FC

Elbow
06-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Miata

OneSlow5pt0
06-18-2008, 11:55 PM