PDA

View Full Version : Alltel/Verizon merger

ash7
06-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I was reviewing my stock portfolio (neglected for the past couple months due to moving again) and i came across a piece of news that set me into a trading frenzy:

http://news.cnet.com/Is-Verizon-Wireless-really-looking-to-buy-Alltel/2100-1039_3-6162763.html

then i cross referenced the FCCs site for verification:

http://www.fcc.gov/transaction/alltel-verizon.html

Thoughts?

If this deal is likely to go through (unlike the Sirius/XM deal), then I'm intending on purchasing more in verizon.
-jonathan

Julio
06-13-2008, 10:05 PM
I would buy more of Verizon also.. But I would be careful... AT&T is opening a can of whoop ass right now on Verizon.. Verizon is loosing customers fast.

ash7
06-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I would buy more of Verizon also.. But I would be careful... AT&T is opening a can of whoop ass right now on Verizon.. Verizon is loosing customers fast.

agreed - which is why I'm thinking they'll be more inclinded to purchase alltels customer base to make up for the lost revenue. Alltel may not have the biggest clientshare - but their customers are brand loyal.

-jonathan

green91
06-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I think the xm/sirius is very likely to go through. Should be interesting for alot of alltel customers considering they use at&t towers around here.

ash7
06-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I think the xm/sirius is very likely to go through. Should be interesting for alot of alltel customers considering they use at&t towers around here.

Alltel customers would be grandfathered in to the verizon network on their current usage plans until their contracts expired, and then would have to get one with verizon. Alltel & At&t use two different network technologies, (you probably know this) but Alltel, Verizon, NextelSprint = CDMA and At&t T-Mobile = GSM. They might use the same towers, but rent out different sections of them to mount their hardware on. I doubt that Alltel customers would even notice a glitch in their coverage as the merger would happen on paper and office space only.

I'm somewhat optimistic on this one.
-jonathan

Spektrewing386
06-14-2008, 01:28 AM
[QUOTE=green91]I think the xm/sirius is very likely to go through.QUOTE]

if the lobbyists stop doing their crap and actually listen to the Dept of Justice then the merger will happen. Kevin Martin FCC chairman is getting mega bux for trying to kill sat radio off. It is true that Kevin Martin and the FCC are full of corrupt criminals. So be very skeptical of any mergers that flow throught the FCC, because they are corrupt people who only listen to their wallets.