PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Legal to run no Muffler?

accordsti
03-18-2005, 08:04 PM
is it legal to drive without a muffler on your car??

speedminded
03-18-2005, 08:08 PM
only if you don't live in gwinnett...or have to drive through it :D

quickdodge®
03-18-2005, 08:09 PM
No. It isn't. For pollution and noise reasons, mainly. Later, QD.

speedminded
03-18-2005, 08:17 PM
most cars sound like ass w/o one, especially honda's...it's funny you mentioned this though because I was getting the floor jack out to go take mine off when I checked the forum. I'll get some vids terrorizing downtown.

accordsti
03-18-2005, 08:40 PM
i was asking cause mine is rusting and i wanted to wait a few weeks so i could get some money and go ahead and get a new exhaust system from the headers back. thanx though

Scrappy
03-18-2005, 09:07 PM
i have been without a muffler for now a year and have not been pulled over, ticketed or any such thing for it.

quickdodge®
03-18-2005, 09:11 PM
^^^ But it is illegal. I drove for 2 years straight with suspended DL and was never pulled over. Just lucky. Later, QD.

Brett
03-18-2005, 09:41 PM
i was asking cause mine is rusting and i wanted to wait a few weeks so i could get some money and go ahead and get a new exhaust system from the headers back. thanx though

You mean HEADER right? Unless you have more then one....LOL ( Sorry but it gets to me when people call them Headers when in fact its a HEADER ) lol

accordsti
03-18-2005, 09:50 PM
^^^what if its a 4-2-1 "set of headers", although it is a single object, its like why do people call them "a pair of pants" when their just one object

MR. 200SX
03-18-2005, 10:07 PM
I have side exhaust but of course turbo quiets all the noise down and plus I don't go reving the shit out of it most of the time so its not that noisy.

Julio
03-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Ask VTECKID haha

Bishop
03-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah i have been without a muffler for about 6 months now. Off and on. I have been pulled over for "street racing" and he didn't say anything about it...just said i might want to get my tail light fixed. Most cops don't care...and a muffler has nothing to do with pollution...noise pollution yes...but the cat is the only thing that helps with pollution. A muffler just makes it quieter.

speedminded
03-19-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm now running out the cat and stainless high-flow resonator, i swear I have tons more botttom end...no traction through first. Can't post the vids yet because I'm using a server and don't have any editing programs...

Vteckidd
03-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Ask VTECKID haha
lol, yeah its ILLEGAL, i got pulled over 5 times in my old crx. i just told them that the muffler fell off. Its a $60-90 ticket, but if you go to court they 9/10 times drop it if its fixed, or you tell them that they cant prove it was over 100decibels (legal limit).

save your hearing, put an exhaust on ;)

accented
03-19-2005, 11:14 AM
lol my stereo is way louder than 100 decibels

quickdodge®
03-19-2005, 11:16 AM
^^^what if its a 4-2-1 "set of headers", although it is a single object,

Only if you have a 6 or 8 cylinder car do you refer it as a "set of headers." 4 cylinder cars have a header. Later, QD.

KNHTRDR
03-19-2005, 12:10 PM
is it legal to drive without a muffler on your car??
If you go to long without one you will need to buy o2 sensors. I learned that the hard hard way.

ruah_23
03-19-2005, 02:00 PM
It's illegal and even if it is legal, I don't recommend it at all.U will go deaf just riding the damn think.

That's what I did driving that thing from Jacksonville FL

superboost
03-19-2005, 05:27 PM
hmm, in most cases its illegal, but the law isn't exactly black and white. Let us not all forget the SRT-4 which comes without a muffler from the factory. Your mileage may vary on this one. Can depend on the length of your exhaust pipe, if you've got a cat (and its really, really illegal to ride around with one of these....not to mention bad for the environment, and more than just a bit of noise pollution :jerkit: ) or are running duals. Part of the reason why the SRT-4 has dual pipes is to help lower resonance on the exhaust..... However, it is a turbo car, so their exhaust is generally quieter anyway, due to the fact that the turbo tends to disrupt the noise coming from the engine.

I have ridden to 50 miles to dallas GA, open DP in the turbo v0 and my car in open DP is quieter than the over-cammed, lumpy mustangs that are out there. Anyway, on all of this, YMMV.

If you are still unsure, just buy a borla or dynomax straight through and stick it on there. Either way, the car will sound like absolute ass, but at least you'll have a can on there to show police should you ever get pulled over. HP loss is minimal and in most cases, you can look through the damn thing anyway. The N-1 has almost no baffles in it; you can actually almost see through the muffler.

Cliff
03-19-2005, 08:31 PM
i have no mufflers and i've never been pulled over for loud exaust :)

Trey
03-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Exactly, the Neon SRT-4 has no muffler and is legal.

Anyone can run with no muffler and be legal as long as they pass a sound test.

It's a db thing, not a muffler thing.

rickgiblin
03-20-2005, 10:58 AM
i have straight pipes with no muffler on my ride, never once been pulled over, i think aslong as you have cats its leagle

quickdodge®
03-20-2005, 11:24 AM
hmm, in most cases its illegal,

Actually, there is no "in most cases." It is against the law. Any car that came factory with a muffler would be riding illegally with that muffler removed. Later, QD.

quickdodge®
03-20-2005, 11:26 AM
i think aslong as you have cats its leagle

Nope. Still not legal. But, yea it is also not legal to remove the cat. Lolol. Later, QD.

accordsti
03-20-2005, 11:45 AM
thanks for the input, now i just need too find a rear muffler for an f22a1 engine, 90-93 accord

Vteckidd
03-21-2005, 01:53 PM
as QD says, TECHNICALLY it is illegal to mes with ANY emssions component on your car, from cat to exhaust. HOWEVER, if a cop sees you ridging with no muffler, its up to his DISCRETION to pull you over or not. 9/10 if its not loud they will look the other way IMO. now i ran OPEN HEADER which is totally different, and i got pulleed over plenty of times.

The LAW IN GA Says it cant be over 100 decibels, now , NO CRUISER in GS and NO POLICE in GA carry sound decibels guns or tester in their car. so , you go to court, an ask them to prove your car was over 100 decibels and broke the law, they cant, and you get off.

IT IS ILLEGAL, but you can get out of it. just put a muffler on it

green91
03-28-2005, 05:46 PM
a SRT4 has a muffler... it looks alot like a hair dryer

speedminded
03-28-2005, 06:25 PM
...it's a noise ordinance/public nuisance thing, they do nothing to help the enviroment but restrict "noise pollution". I'm pretty sure the SRT-4 has baffles similiar to a flowmaster but not packed fiberglass like most mufflers. I can tell you now that your accord is going to sound like ass without a muffler.

It is illegal however to modify or remove any part of the emmisions system (does not mean muffler) ie: o2 sensor or catalytic converter(s) but for the counties that don't require testing there is no way for anyone to know.

Ask anyone on the mountain run this weekend how loud mine is...it's so loud we had to wear earplugs on the trip to florida (and on the mtn run) and i've passed dozens upon dozens of cops all around in the past week and not a single problem. I took mine off, running straight out the high flow stainless resonator, just to run commerce but haven't had time to put it back on...didn't even have time to go to commerce either. oh well.

Mr_S13®
03-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I can promise an srt-4 has not 1 muffler...it does however have 2 bafflers from the factory. My brother has one and we just put an exhaust on it.

AltimaCharlie
03-29-2005, 03:26 PM
you don't want to do it. too loud, it hurts my ears!

reflexx
04-15-2005, 07:39 AM
I have an open downpipe on my supra and it sounds like a goddamn demon. It rattles your teeth when cruising on the interstate and I have to blast my 2000watt stereo to even hear ANY music. Win will testify :) For reference, this is just putting along in a parking lot:
http://www.tlink.net/parking.wmv

But i've never been pulled over or harrassed about it, even though there's clearly no exhaust in sight on the car!

Hulud
04-15-2005, 09:38 AM

damion
04-15-2005, 10:10 AM
You mean HEADER right? Unless you have more then one....LOL ( Sorry but it gets to me when people call them Headers when in fact its a HEADER ) lol
i concur with that statement the only way u have header"s" is with like a chevy or ford or any kind of export becuase they have them on each side

speedminded
04-15-2005, 11:58 AM
i concur with that statement the only way u have header"s" is with like a chevy or ford or any kind of export becuase they have them on each side...or any V, Boxer, W, etc. engine.

5thgcelica
04-15-2005, 12:43 PM
one time my cat bolts rusted off and i had an open pipe for a day..

augh. talk about embarrasing. that thing sounded horrible when i hit 2500rpm